home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I'm not going for that. I think they also start at $500 for a 1/2 hour private session. I had a private shoot at Epcot done for less than that. And these photographers, from my experience, are not that great.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...

5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib
9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas
BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year
5/2019 ? - Fantasy - ? Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
I'm not going for that. I think they also start at $500 for a 1/2 hour private session. I had a private shoot at Epcot done for less than that. And these photographers, from my experience, are not that great.
That sounds crazy expensive! As for their abilities, they may not be that great, but I would think that it would take a lot to impress you. You take some really amazing pictures!
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
That sounds crazy expensive! As for their abilities, they may not be that great, but I would think that it would take a lot to impress you. You take some really amazing pictures!
That's very nice of you to say. But these Disney photographers sometimes don't nail focus, framing, etc. - basic stuff.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...

5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib
9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas
BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year
5/2019 ? - Fantasy - ? Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #14
ryc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Just finished a 5-night repositioning cruise. Getting a USB stick of all our photos cost us $250. Only saving grace was that we used the Disney Visa during check-in so were able to get 10% off the price. It's also supposed to be cheaper if you order before you get on the boat.

Prices are ridiculous, but at least it will include all your photos on your trip which you can then print later if you want. There's also the 30 minute private session which is completely separate, and even more expensive! Private session photographers are a hit-and-miss. Sometimes you'll get some good photos from those sessions if you're willing to pay the price.
ryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #15
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryc View Post
Just finished a 5-night repositioning cruise. Getting a USB stick of all our photos cost us $250. Only saving grace was that we used the Disney Visa during check-in so were able to get 10% off the price. It's also supposed to be cheaper if you order before you get on the boat.

Prices are ridiculous, but at least it will include all your photos on your trip which you can then print later if you want. There's also the 30 minute private session which is completely separate, and even more expensive! Private session photographers are a hit-and-miss. Sometimes you'll get some good photos from those sessions if you're willing to pay the price.

Welcome to MouseOwners!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #16
ryc

Thanks! Glad to be here!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryc View Post

We suckered ourselves in to the full package for our 2006 and 2012 cruises. Since we were traveling with 2 other couples in 2017, we also sprung in advance for the discounted full package, but quickly canceled it for a refund on Day 3 when we realized we would want 10 at most. Even that was pricy, but this was a special occasion, and I am glad we have them.

I can see doing the full package if you cruise rarely or it's a special cruise, or you have a large and active party (especially with kids), which makes it easy to get some really fun photos you might not otherwise get.

I do have a tradition of featuring the embarkation photo and the Captain's photo in my trip albums along with Captain Mickey and Peter Pan, so I suspect we'll always get the 10 photo package.

With digital cameras everywhere and phone cameras taking excellent photos, the only real advantage to the Shutters photos is if they add special backdrops and lighting that you can't get without being careful with your own stuff (and have a friend, CM, or stranger willing to take the photo).

Dirk
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
ryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
We suckered ourselves in to the full package for our 2006 and 2012 cruises. Since we were traveling with 2 other couples in 2017, we also sprung in advance for the discounted full package, but quickly canceled it for a refund on Day 3 when we realized we would want 10 at most. Even that was pricy, but this was a special occasion, and I am glad we have them.

I can see doing the full package if you cruise rarely or it's a special cruise, or you have a large and active party (especially with kids), which makes it easy to get some really fun photos you might not otherwise get.

I do have a tradition of featuring the embarkation photo and the Captain's photo in my trip albums along with Captain Mickey and Peter Pan, so I suspect we'll always get the 10 photo package.

With digital cameras everywhere and phone cameras taking excellent photos, the only real advantage to the Shutters photos is if they add special backdrops and lighting that you can't get without being careful with your own stuff (and have a friend, CM, or stranger willing to take the photo).

Dirk
So true! Was traveling with my DW, DD (5) and DS (3)... if it weren’t for our kids, I definitely wouldn’t consider the Shutters pictures. And even in our last trip, there was a 10-12 photo package that cost about $100 less which worked great for us.

I have trouble with my phone camera as the light on it doesn’t illuminate the scene well enough. Ended up using an old Lumix camera with flash that also caught more of the magical moments. I find Shutters only likes to take a pic of the final posed scene, whereas even the PhotoPass photographers at DL would take several candid pics of the kids getting ready for the shot.