home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
dantr
One Bedroom

Default Shutters Photo Services

Hi guys,

We just got back from an amazing 5-night cruise in the Wonder from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and back. I loved almost everything about it. The shows (Golden Mickeys, Frozen and Dreams), the food (Tiana was our favorite from the daily rotation, but Palo is above and beyond), the towel origamis in our room, the pool, Cabana's, and the characters available for pictures. It was an amazing trip. That said, I really dislike Shutters, the photo service that is available on the trip. We were a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) staying in 2 staterooms, and while we were seated at a single table, we couldn't share the digital download purchase of photos. Do you guys know why Disney doesn't offer something similar to PhotoPass or Memory Maker at the Cruises? Shutters seems so much more expensive and limited. Their photographers aren't even allowed to take pictures with our phones, like they do at the parks.
It was really frustrating on the last day were we realized we would need to pay over 250 bucks for digital copies of around 50 pictures that were not shared. On top of that, they only print pictures on a 6x8 or 8x10 formats, and cannot accommodate orientation or other sizes, which means you cannot get a physical print out that could be used on some of the portraits that are sold on the ship. I had bought one as an anniversary gift but it was for 4x6 pictures, and when I went to get a picture for it, I found out it wouldn't work. Why is it so limited?

It was a minor inconvenience in an otherwise amazing trip. The best surprise, we were treated to a special showing of Avengers Infinity War on the night of the premier. That was awesome!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantr View Post
Hi guys,

We just got back from an amazing 5-night cruise in the Wonder from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and back. I loved almost everything about it. The shows (Golden Mickeys, Frozen and Dreams), the food (Tiana was our favorite from the daily rotation, but Palo is above and beyond), the towel origamis in our room, the pool, Cabana's, and the characters available for pictures. It was an amazing trip. That said, I really dislike Shutters, the photo service that is available on the trip. We were a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) staying in 2 staterooms, and while we were seated at a single table, we couldn't share the digital download purchase of photos. Do you guys know why Disney doesn't offer something similar to PhotoPass or Memory Maker at the Cruises? Shutters seems so much more expensive and limited. Their photographers aren't even allowed to take pictures with our phones, like they do at the parks.
It was really frustrating on the last day were we realized we would need to pay over 250 bucks for digital copies of around 50 pictures that were not shared. On top of that, they only print pictures on a 6x8 or 8x10 formats, and cannot accommodate orientation or other sizes, which means you cannot get a physical print out that could be used on some of the portraits that are sold on the ship. I had bought one as an anniversary gift but it was for 4x6 pictures, and when I went to get a picture for it, I found out it wouldn't work. Why is it so limited?

It was a minor inconvenience in an otherwise amazing trip. The best surprise, we were treated to a special showing of Avengers Infinity War on the night of the premier. That was awesome!
I wish they went to the MemoryMaker on the cruise ships. Shutters is outsourced and handles multiple cruise lines (just like the spa).

I find their customer service very unhelpful. As for staff taking photos, the cruise staff will certainly be happy to do so, but never at a Shutters back-drop. In all fairness, that's Shutter's schtick to drum up sales. It's their lighting, their backdrops, etc.

For character photos, the Disney handlers will take photos, and I think there are Disney staff around to take photos for the formal staircase and statue photos, too.

Dirk
Old 04-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
dantr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I wish they went to the MemoryMaker on the cruise ships. Shutters is outsourced and handles multiple cruise lines (just like the spa).

I find their customer service very unhelpful. As for staff taking photos, the cruise staff will certainly be happy to do so, but never at a Shutters back-drop. In all fairness, that's Shutter's schtick to drum up sales. It's their lighting, their backdrops, etc.

For character photos, the Disney handlers will take photos, and I think there are Disney staff around to take photos for the formal staircase and statue photos, too.

Dirk
Yes. MemoryMaker would be great! I wonder why they haven't done it, since we were not the only family upset with Shutters. The character handlers did help us with pictures, and at Palo's, our waiter helped us out, so we do have pictures from the trip :-D
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantr View Post
Yes. MemoryMaker would be great! I wonder why they haven't done it, since we were not the only family upset with Shutters. The character handlers did help us with pictures, and at Palo's, our waiter helped us out, so we do have pictures from the trip :-D
I suspect they make more money from Shutters. The ship tech is significantly behind the park tech, especially on the older ships. I wonder if they'll take a whole new approach to photo when the new ships start coming on line?

Dirk
Old 05-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
clhlaptop
Grand Villa

I agree with you. Many times I want a photo but it is only 8x10. We prebought the Cd once. Many of our pictures were family shots which were included in the Cd because our kids or we were in it. The other times we have just bought 3-4. It is very limiting. My brother in law was within 50 dollars of a CD and he kept going back and forth about whether he should just buy a CD but all the family pics we had so he just paid for the the physical photos he wanted.
clhlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

If you want nicer family photos, Shutters does have portrait seatings. I'm not sure of the cost, but if I recall it wasn't outrageous given the environment. Also not sure of the size of the photos.

Dirk
Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
andy773
Studio

Another thing I hate about Shutters is that they print out all the pictures (or at least they did in 2015, the last time I sailed DCL). We bought two pics. I assume they just throw all the rest away. What a waste. Not very environmentally-friendly. Maybe thatís why itís so expensive; they have to pay for all those photos they throw away!

And if you have a group in multiple cabins, you are really screwed. You would have to buy a package for each room.

Shutters is a major fail, although I think itís similiar on most cruise lines.
andy773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy773 View Post
Another thing I hate about Shutters is that they print out all the pictures (or at least they did in 2015, the last time I sailed DCL). We bought two pics. I assume they just throw all the rest away. What a waste. Not very environmentally-friendly. Maybe that’s why it’s so expensive; they have to pay for all those photos they throw away!

And if you have a group in multiple cabins, you are really screwed. You would have to buy a package for each room.

Shutters is a major fail, although I think it’s similiar on most cruise lines.
I'm not sure why the feel they have to print everything out. It may well be a marketing strategy if the guest is more likely to buy a photo that they've held in their hands and see is already printed.

At some point, the Disney guest is going to rebel against that because, as you point it, it is one of the most wasteful things there is. As for cost, probably not very high considering how cheap photo prints from Costco are!

Dirk
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm not sure why the feel they have to print everything out. It may well be a marketing strategy if the guest is more likely to buy a photo that they've held in their hands and see is already printed.

At some point, the Disney guest is going to rebel against that because, as you point it, it is one of the most wasteful things there is. As for cost, probably not very high considering how cheap photo prints from Costco are!

Dirk
It is marketing.

If a person sees and holds the pictures they get emotionally attached and have a harder time knowing it will be destroyed if they do not purchase it.

But man, $300 for 30 pictures is a TON.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

BTW, here is what the Unlimited USB costs on the Magic in the Med...

SUBTOTAL: $295.95
VALUE ADDED TAXES: $62.15
TOTAL: $358.10

That is just absurd...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote