home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
mousefan1972
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskzrooster View Post
It is your first day on the ship and lots of activities are open so you basically waste the first ship day by arriving at 2.
We like to get on the ship as early as possible to get a spot by the pool, lunch and the spa activities we like. Also is great to get lunch and start vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post
Shhhhhhhhh

donít tell everybody, that just makes it harder for us......��
I knew I liked you two!!

Last Saturday we had had lunch and the kids had already taken 3 rides on the Aquaduck before most guests were on the ship.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan1972 View Post
I knew I liked you two!!

Last Saturday we had had lunch and the kids had already taken 3 rides on the Aquaduck before most guests were on the ship.
Wonderful! Thatís why my swimsuit is in my carryon.
kzrooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
CAS9RN3
Studio

mousefan1972 thank you for the refresher! It's all coming back to me now. We are driving from BLT and parking in a park and ride I've used a couple times now near the terminal. I did choose the earliest PAT because we like to get on as early as we can...to book stuff, Aquaduck it, and for lunch. It's nice getting familiar with the boat too. This is my fifth cruise and 2nd on the Dream but it will be my husband and children's fourth cruise and first on the Dream. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!!!!!
CAS9RN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS9RN3 View Post
mousefan1972 thank you for the refresher! It's all coming back to me now. We are driving from BLT and parking in a park and ride I've used a couple times now near the terminal. I did choose the earliest PAT because we like to get on as early as we can...to book stuff, Aquaduck it, and for lunch. It's nice getting familiar with the boat too. This is my fifth cruise and 2nd on the Dream but it will be my husband and children's fourth cruise and first on the Dream. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!!!!!
We'll be on the Dream for the first time next March. Can't wait! Have fun!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
CAS9RN3
Studio

Rigby YEAH!!!! Now that our babies are older I hope to go more often than 4 years! One graduates from college next month, one from high school next year, then two years after that the last graduates from high school.
Love my babies but it's been a long time comin'.
CAS9RN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
mousefan1972
Grand Villa

Quote:
The Dream is amazing! Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
We'll be on the Dream for the first time next March. Can't wait! Have fun!!!
Have a great trip!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskzrooster View Post
It is your first day on the ship and lots of activities are open so you basically waste the first ship day by arriving at 2.
We like to get on the ship as early as possible to get a spot by the pool, lunch and the spa activities we like. Also is great to get lunch and start vacation.
I think "waste the first ship day" is a bit of an over-statement. You're really talking about the difference of a couple of hours. It depends on what you want to do with that time.

For first time cruisers with kids, I do understand wanting to get on board early to get fed, registered, oriented, etc., and certainly to enjoy the rare quiet of the pools and the AquaDuck.

We're not really big on the pool aspect of it, so we're cool with getting on in time to have to lunch, chill a bit, and get the room settled before Lifeboat drill.

Dirk
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Hello everyone! We are cruising this summer. The last time we cruised, July 2014 and Feb. 2015, when we did our on line registration we were given a letter, if I remember correctly, that corresponded with being allowed on the boat. I distinctly remember being happy with a B or C as it was an earlier boarding time. A few weeks ago our on line registration opened and I was allowed to pick 'port arrival time'. This is different. Please enlighten me on this 'new to me' port arrival time. Thank you, Cindy
I think you're confusing DCL with Southwest! As I recall from our 2012 cruise, we chose a Port Arrival Time and we're given a boarding group number. Maybe the changed it for a couple of years and went back to the PAT system?

Anyway, others have explained it well enough.

We've arrive at the Port three different ways:
  • First Cruise (2006) - Disney bus from SSR about 1:30 pm.
  • Second Cruise (2012) - personal car parked in garage, 10:00 am arrival.
  • Third Cruise (2017) - car service from SSR, 10:30 am arrival.

First Cruise was by far the most relaxed arrival and we still had plenty of time to eat, settle, and explore. Now, we're two adults, so take that into account. We got off the bus and through screening super-quick, had no lines at check-in, and no lines to board ship, not even a back-up with embarkation photo. We dropped bags in room, had buffet lunch at 2:00 pm, wandered ship, unpacked, did lifeboat drill, and settled on top deck for sail away.

Second Cruise, went through garage level screen pretty quick, waited in check-in line for 45 minutes, took 20 minutes to board because of line back-up due to embarkation photos and gained maybe an hour on the ship at the cost of an hour of hassle in the terminal.

Third Cruise, dropped off at port, directed to garage level screening because of major back-up at ground level screening, only to have a 45 minute wait at garage level screening. Got through check-in pretty quick, maybe 7 minutes, took some photos with friends, and then took 5 minutes to board.

Had lunch in Cabanas about 11:30, made Palo/Remy reservations, went to room. Our friends who took Disney Transport had just arrived. Hugged. They went to buffet while we unpacked (bags showed up super quick).

So, a bit better than 2012 but not by much. The 45 minute screening line pretty much did me in. But the second I was seated in Cabanas, it all evaporated!

I'm seriously toying with a 1 pm arrival our next Port Canaveral departure.

Our next cruise is this fall out of Manhattan, so I confess I'll be an early bird again, but I know I'll have lines and have to lug carry-ons around.

If lounging by the pool is your thing or you want to check out the kids clubs and do special orientations or just explore, then I definitely recommend getting there early.

Dirk
Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I've used Disney transport twice, once for concierge and once for Cat 5E. They were both very smooth, no waits and cabin ready when I boarded. Good enough for me.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
jmark
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I think "waste the first ship day" is a bit of an over-statement. You're really talking about the difference of a couple of hours. It depends on what you want to do with that time.

For first time cruisers with kids, I do understand wanting to get on board early to get fed, registered, oriented, etc., and certainly to enjoy the rare quiet of the pools and the AquaDuck.

We're not really big on the pool aspect of it, so we're cool with getting on in time to have to lunch, chill a bit, and get the room settled before Lifeboat drill.

Dirk
We've liked early and later PAT times depending on our plans. When we've cruised out of Port Canaveral and wanted to get a jump on the Acquaduck lines, we've done an earlier PAT. When we've cruised out of a different port, and wanted to explore the city a little in the morning, we've gotten a later PAT to avoid feeling part of the cattle call to get on the ship. For us it has depended on the cruise and how we wanted to spend our time.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote