home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #21
mark0157
One Bedroom

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all the advice. We may try the 5-night with two stops at Castaway!

We are planning on booking a verandah, so hopefully the outdoor space alleviates the claustrophobic aspect.
mark0157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #22
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0157 View Post

We are planning on booking a verandah, so hopefully the outdoor space alleviates the claustrophobic aspect.
Nice.....My favorite Bahama Cruise!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Stuck 7 nights on a cruise is much too long without some sort of medicinal support. With or without kids!!!
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

I don't think claustrophobia would be the problem so much as stepping over each other and getting in each other's way with three kids. The rooms are well designed and feel spacious to us, but we're also just a couple.

During the day - you have the whole (very large!) ship, so everybody certainly gets their free space and time to burn off energy.

Verandahs are really nice and will help a lot, too - I think a room will feel better just knowing you have two ways out, even if one way is just for a little fresh air!

The 4 & 5 nights are nice because you're on the ship long enough to try everything once and experience the better shows. Three night, to me, would feel too rushed, like we never really settled into the ship's routine fore the cruise ended.

If it turns out you like to cruise, I wouldn't rule out the 7 nights since there are a lot of fun excursions in different ports. It just depends on your interests.

Hope you give it a try and have a great time!

Dirk
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #25
mark0157
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I don't think claustrophobia would be the problem so much as stepping over each other and getting in each other's way with three kids. The rooms are well designed and feel spacious to us, but we're also just a couple.

During the day - you have the whole (very large!) ship, so everybody certainly gets their free space and time to burn off energy.

Verandahs are really nice and will help a lot, too - I think a room will feel better just knowing you have two ways out, even if one way is just for a little fresh air!

The 4 & 5 nights are nice because you're on the ship long enough to try everything once and experience the better shows. Three night, to me, would feel too rushed, like we never really settled into the ship's routine fore the cruise ended.

If it turns out you like to cruise, I wouldn't rule out the 7 nights since there are a lot of fun excursions in different ports. It just depends on your interests.

Hope you give it a try and have a great time!

Dirk
Thanks Dirk! I hope so as well. It will be a first time cruise for everyone but myself (and the last cruise I was on was a 3-day Carnival with my grandma when I was like 18 or something)

The hubs and one of the kids have issues with anxiety, so they may need to retreat to the room at times to "find their happy place" when the crowds/stimulation/etc. become too much. Despite that, I'm sure the kids will love it though...they have seen the commercials and think it looks awesome!! (Especially Castaway Cay)!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #26
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Even without kids 7 nights are too many for any trip. So, yes.

Cheers.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #27
mousefan1972
Grand Villa

Well since I just booked an 11 night cruise on the Fantasy for next summer, I suppose I'm the wrong person to ask..

I can't even grasp the concept of feeling "stuck" on a cruise ship, especially a Disney cruise ship. There is so much to see and do. Are the cabins small? Of course. But we don't ever spend time in it unless we are sleeping or taking a shower. For us, we live on the upper decks and the inside public areas. Only 10 more days until we are on the beautiful Disney Fantasy again! Sadly only 7 nights this time.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Dirk! I hope so as well. It will be a first time cruise for everyone but myself (and the last cruise I was on was a 3-day Carnival with my grandma when I was like 18 or something)
Wow, what a combo for a party ship!! Now, this is where you say your grandma was the one who was the party animal.

Your Disney cruise will be 100% different for so many reasons!

Quote:
The hubs and one of the kids have issues with anxiety, so they may need to retreat to the room at times to "find their happy place" when the crowds/stimulation/etc. become too much. Despite that, I'm sure the kids will love it though...they have seen the commercials and think it looks awesome!! (Especially Castaway Cay)!
For adults, there are several quiet places to just get away and relax. The area around Satellite Falls on the top deck (assuming you are on Dream) will be very quiet, and very easy to get a comfy lounger. Cove Cafe is always a quiet place to hang out, too, for coffee and a quiet space.

For kids, retiring to the room will be the best bet. The family pool area will definitely be overwhelming for people even without crowd anxieties. That's certainly one thing to take into account and prepare for.

I think with some pre-trip strategizing you'll be able to prepare for down time and "safety zones."

Dirk
Old 04-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
mark0157
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Wow, what a combo for a party ship!! Now, this is where you say your grandma was the one who was the party animal.

Ha! It was interesting...I remember my grandma was super upset I kept petting the stray dogs in Nassau! (She was worried I would "catch something") Other than that, and a midnight buffet my grandma "stayed up for," I don't remember much!!

For adults, there are several quiet places to just get away and relax. The area around Satellite Falls on the top deck (assuming you are on Dream) will be very quiet, and very easy to get a comfy lounger. Cove Cafe is always a quiet place to hang out, too, for coffee and a quiet space.

For kids, retiring to the room will be the best bet. The family pool area will definitely be overwhelming for people even without crowd anxieties. That's certainly one thing to take into account and prepare for.

I think with some pre-trip strategizing you'll be able to prepare for down time and "safety zones."

Dirk
We are thinking of renting a cabana at Castaway Cay, but I've heard they are difficult to secure, but that would be a great way to have our own space there.

I cannot find any 2-day Castaway Cay cruises when we would go, so may end up on the 5-day Marvel...with a stop in Key West) love it there!! I would spend the mornings swimming with the kids and then we would use the Adventure Club in the afternoons for some adult time at the spa or just to relax.

We may even recruit grandpa to come and then we can split between 2 rooms and have a little extra space!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #30
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

If it involves air travel to get there I generally wonít go anyplace with my three kids unless itís at least a week (ideally 10-14 days).

We did a 3 night Disney cruise as part of a longer Florida trip and didnít like it. We did concierge which was nice but we didnít have good weather and it felt too rushed. We didnít get a chance to get our sea legs before it was time to get off.

I think the other issue for us is I donít care for just a few hours in a Caribbean island port. Iíd rather just stay on an island (Iím writing this from the beach in Kauai).

We did a 7 night cruise to Alaska on Princess. That cruise was great and wouldnít have minded a couple extra days with some more stops.