home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #51
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
We have done several split stays. One of the best was four nights at beach club studio followed by four nights at kidani one bedroom. The general rule of thumb is to move up for subsequent stays. Moving up may be room type or location or some other factor that matters to your family.... but plan to move up.

Also I would not personally try any split stay without a car. Bell service is great but they have hiccups. Putting stuff in car means control. That matters a lot!
We agree wholeheartedly! We split stay to move up! We also drive, so we can just drive to the next resort (if moving resorts completely) and drop our stuff of while we head to the parks.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #52
Stuart Song
One Bedroom

I think there is a time and a place for split stays. If it's just two of us without kids, then it make sense to try out different resorts. The split stay also needs to be more than 3 days in a resort. With large number of people, it's so much better to stay in one resort.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #53
Ccarroll1100
Grand Villa

We really tried the split stay a couple of times. We are in the club of those that say never again. It’s just not worth the hassle.
Ccarroll1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #54
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

My wife was in the no split stays club when we first talked of buying into DVC. Then, we were kind of scrambling for a room on our first stay, and she agreed to try it. Now she has no problem with split stays and actually welcomes the opportunity, IF it gives us a chance to experience a new resort.
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #55
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccarroll1100 View Post
We really tried the split stay a couple of times. We are in the club of those that say never again. It’s just not worth the hassle.
We're charter members of that club.

Cheers.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #56
Jcsquirrel
Two Bedroom

Default Split

We generally go for two weeks plus, so we are there a decent amount of time, but I have not minded moving. We often do it where we myself and one of the kids arrive and stay at a studio and then a few days later the wife and the other kid arrives and we move to a onebedroom or two bedroom and being able to try other resorts is nice. I can honestly say I have found things I like about every resort. I do hold boardwalk above all else and I will not use the points any place else. There are some resorts that a few days is enough I like Saratoga if we are going to be going to springs any way and at Animal Kingdom I just like looking out on the Savannah.
Jcsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #57
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

On long stays in the summer (usually stay close to three weeks) we do a split stay in terms of two or three days at a different resort, then we change to BCV for the remainder. I like to do this as it gives us a chance to see other resorts. We have pretty much zeroed in on either starting at SSR or VGF. This summer, since we have multiple family members coming for one of the weeks, we might resort hop twice - three days VGF, and 2 at SSR - Starting at VGF, and ending at SSR for no park days.

Christmas week we are checking in the 27th at CCV, then moving to BWV for the 28-30th, then the Swan for the 30th to the 2nd. I know this is a bit too much with the moving. But we planning this last minute - I started to put this together in September...
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #58
FCivish3
Studio

Split stays are all about the variety, and trying new things. Since I am ADD, this appeals to me.

For those who complain that they hate to be ‘homeless’ in the afternoon on ‘Transfer day,’ there is an easy solution. Just book you next room so it overlaps with your first one, on that day. Then, you can call them the day before, and check in, but not show up until Transfer day.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #59
broganmc
Grand Villa

I'm doing a split stay now but only so I could enjoy more favorite resorts. SSR with the family last week. BLT with friends this week. I love both places. But I move offsite tomorrow for the rest of my stay. I'd much rather just be here or at SSR and stay put.

In Spring, I'm picking ONE Disney resort and my offsite resort. One resort change per trip is enough for me. It's just too exhausting moving all my stuff.

(And I also need a lot more BLT time.)

Vegas NYE Dec 29-Jan 3
Florida March 1-24
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #60
gflatto
Two Bedroom

We are a bit torn. While we generally like being able to settle down in one place for the duration, we have done, and will continue to do, split stays sometimes. For instance - our next stay, we're looking at 4 nights BCV, then 3 nights BLT. DH uses an ECV, so being able to walk (or even monorail) over bus or boat is a prime consideration for us (not all boats handle the ECVs).

That consideration doesn't always win - my son especially likes AKV, where we naturally have to bus everywhere (although the bus service there has generally been very good for us). Other considerations might be if we're there at holiday time (Halloween or Christmas) and expect to spend more time than usual in MK or Epcot - that may dictate that we just go to BLT or BWV and stay put, dealing with buses as needed.

So like for so many of us, it just depends on the specific circumstances!

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon
May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member
May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV
May/June 2010 - VWL
July 2010 - VGC
Christmas 2010 - BLT
May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV
July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!
October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP
May/June 2012 - BCV
Christmas, 2012 - BLT