home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default Just Back from Early Dec Trip

I do an early December trip annually, and this year was no exception! (Obviously last year was.) Against my better judgement I will report on random observations without regard to organization.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

The parks were somewhat more crowded than usual in early December, but still not too bad, and things generally went well. Exceptions follow.

In retrospect others were probably just making up for lost time and/or using up DVC points that they had been forced to bank, as I was.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

The most obvious and annoying change:
Whenever I paid for our meal with my Magic Band (which was always), my server would ask to TAKE MY BAND with her/him!!
The first time I flatly refused! Then I realized that I did have a second (old) magic band in my pocket just as backup, and surrendered that one instead.

This went on throughout our stay, but it wasn't until our last day in the parks that I asked why this was (apparently) necessary. I was told that they are "changing to a new system" and needed to be sure the transaction was being properly recorded. I then regretted the (fortunately few) times I had been difficult about surrendering it. If I had just had one MB no telling how my paranoia about surrendering it would have turned out.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
The most obvious and annoying change:
Whenever I paid for our meal with my Magic Band (which was always), my server would ask to TAKE MY BAND with her/him!!
The first time I flatly refused! Then I realized that I did have a second (old) magic band in my pocket just as backup, and surrendered that one instead.

This went on throughout our stay, but it wasn't until our last day in the parks that I asked why this was (apparently) necessary. I was told that they are "changing to a new system" and needed to be sure the transaction was being properly recorded. I then regretted the (fortunately few) times I had been difficult about surrendering it. If I had just had one MB no telling how my paranoia about surrendering it would have turned out.
This is likely to be tied to other dysfunctions in place in their MagicBand and Magic Mobile services. I have been posting our full trip report, but hope to share a few more concise reflections regarding a few of these newer things in a separate post (haven't gotten to that yet). Magic Mobile is one of those pieces - whether you like the concept or not, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired!
Old 12-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I was traveling with a family member this time.

Due to all the discussion about the plastic DVC Member cards being discontinued, I didn’t bother to take mine. This seemed unimportant as IIRC the only times I had used it in the past were to access the DVC lounge in Epcot, and I didn’t plan to do that.

On our first day after arrival, we went to HS. There we had an unanticipated problem.

When we entered the park, the cast member at the turnstile asked to see my DVC card. I said I didn’t have it with me, and he said he needed to see it as I had used my DVC membership to purchase my Sorcerer Annual Pass (obviously before sales were halted). When I told him I didn’t have it with me, he said I couldn’t enter the park without it, as he needed to verify that I was eligible for that pass.

I told him that Disney would not have sold it to me if I were not eligible (and they surely would not have sold it to me unless i were). But he claimed that «anyone can buy one», and I needed to have it verified. So I went to one of the Guest Relations windows to the left of the park entrance where a CM spent 10 minutes or so (seemed like forever) on the phone doing who know what, but in the end verified that my pass was legit, and we were able to enter the park.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Later that day I went to Guest Relations in Epcot (where I had no problem entering), and related this story. The CM I spoke to was sympathetic and very helpful. He was able to pull up my DVC Card online and somehow make it the "startup screen" on my phone, so that whenever I wake up my phone it shows my DVC card -- actually just the central part with the information. This remains true and I don't plan to change it!
I used it to get DVC discounts for the remainder of the trip, but was not asked to show it again for park entry!

He also gave us each one free "Lightning Lane" entry that we could use as we wished. As it turned out we wasted it as it was only good for 24 hours and I forgot (or wasn't told) about that.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
nrspepe
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I was traveling with a family member this time.

Due to all the discussion about the plastic DVC Member cards being discontinued, I didn’t bother to take mine. This seemed unimportant as IIRC the only times I had used it in the past were to access the DVC lounge in Epcot, and I didn’t plan to do that.

On our first day after arrival, we went to HS. There we had an unanticipated problem.

When we entered the park, the cast member at the turnstile asked to see my DVC card. I said I didn’t have it with me, and he said he needed to see it as I had used my DVC membership to purchase my Sorcerer Annual Pass (obviously before sales were halted). When I told him I didn’t have it with me, he said I couldn’t enter the park without it, as he needed to verify that I was eligible for that pass.

I told him that Disney would not have sold it to me if I were not eligible (and they surely would not have sold it to me unless i were). But he claimed that «anyone can buy one», and I needed to have it verified. So I went to one of the Guest Relations windows to the left of the park entrance where a CM spent 10 minutes or so (seemed like forever) on the phone doing who know what, but in the end verified that my pass was legit, and we were able to enter the park.
This just is not right. I hardly ever carry my blue card, or any card with me when I go to the parks. Update MB to include the DVC info, or have a communication campaign to inform that you may be asked to produce your membership card for park entry.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

HS was enjoyable and as my partner was not interested in RnR Coaster or Tower of Terror (don't really blame her though I do them when touring solo) we were able to do much of what we wanted either on Dec 6 or on Dec 9 when we returned to HS. I can't remember what we did on which day, but we did do MMRR (approx 1 hour wait), Toy Story Mania, etc. She is not a Star Wars fan so we didn't do any of that. We did see Beauty and the Beast on our second day, though she was a little put out when I insisted we stay after the end so I could sing along with the song at the end (Celine Dion/Peabo Bryson version). I'm always a little put out that everyone leaves during this song when to me it is the best thing about the show!
Old 12-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

However we did tak the Skyliner down as I wanted, and the boat back to Beach Club as she wanted.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

In particular we did see "The Walt Disney Story" or whatever it is called. I watch that film on every visit, if only to say "thank you Walt" and listen to Julie Andrew's wonderful voice.