home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default DVC Cookware & Other Amenities

Since we will have our first 1 BR stay in May, I'm wondering just what to expect with the cookware.

We're flying, so not interested in hauling too much - if anything - from home. Would probably just cook breakfasts, especially since that requires the last seasoning and condiments.

Are the pans non-stick?

How do you cook if you fly? I don't want to buy tons of seasonings, olive oil, or cooking spray I won't use up. I supposed cooking with butter would work but that's not always the best.

Other cooking tips for those who fly and like to fix a few meals but not cook all the time?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Since we will have our first 1 BR stay in May, I'm wondering just what to expect with the cookware.

We're flying, so not interested in hauling too much - if anything - from home. Would probably just cook breakfasts, especially since that requires the last seasoning and condiments.

Are the pans non-stick?

How do you cook if you fly? I don't want to buy tons of seasonings, olive oil, or cooking spray I won't use up. I supposed cooking with butter would work but that's not always the best.

Other cooking tips for those who fly and like to fix a few meals but not cook all the time?

Dirk
I don't know about the fry pan but the rest were not non-stick. I've never used the fry pan. I also don't use cooking spray. I use olive oil mostly and will substitute with another oil if needed depending on what I'm barely making LOL.

Though I don't really cook really at all at DVC, I do travel and cook. When I do, I just bring baggies of what I need. Or little tupperware of mixes thata I might need.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Breakfast is what we will cook and yes, the fry pans have been non-stick. We just buy butter in the store along with eggs and fry with that - makes it easy.

DH is a pepper and salt packet hog anytime we eat - grabs a bunch. So at WDW I actually put that to use and bring them back to the room. It's rare for us to season with much else but if we did I'd just bring a little snack baggie with some along. That's what I'll do with any items that would otherwise be more than we need there.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

I often will use butter at home as the fat of choice when cooking, or olive oil, depends on my mood, or what I'm doing...sometimes it's that nice thing of bacon fat I keep next to the stove hee hee, not too much, though, it can be overpowering.

If you are heading to the store when you arrive, or getting groceries delivered, and you really want olive oil, you could just resign yourself to the fact that most of it will be thrown out..the five bucks wasted is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the trip, right? And it's all part of the game, anyway.

That said, if you want to bring some from home? Certain plastic beverage bottles have very well engineered closures, I've had very good success with Pepsi and Mtn Dew bottles. You put your olive oil in there (actually I was doing it with alcohol) and get the cap on good and then wrap some black tape or stretch wrap around it (keeps the tension on the cap and it doesn't vibrate loose), never had a drop leak in the suitcase. I put it in a ziploc just in case.

If you aren't doing checked bags? Never mind
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Pans are non stick and I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of them.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
DVCJanine
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We used to fly Non-stop on Southwest, so one suitcase was filled with cereal, sliced ham, precooked bacon, Jimmy Dean turkey crumbles, cheese [both babybel and sliced], and English muffins/croissants. We would then "splurge" and buy the eggs and milk at the resort store.

The ham, turkey crumbles and muffins would be frozen and packed frozen to aid in keeping other items cold. Luckily, we never had issues.

Then the husband would go down to the quick service bar and "acquire" the little butter/magarine tubs and S&P packets. Now that the stores have expanded, we just pick up the butter there and I bought the S&P cardboard 'picnic' style from the grocery store spice aisle, slip them in a ziplock and toss in with my other Disney travel supplies.

And on the return the suitcase was filled with dirty laundry!

Once we realized how much we saved by doing this, the extra effort was well worth it.
DVCJanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Though I don't really cook really at all at DVC, I do travel and cook. When I do, I just bring baggies of what I need. Or little tupperware of mixes thata I might need.
I guess I can bring some baggies, or even little snap ware containers. That didn't occur to me. For breakfast, salt, pepper and an oil are the big things we would need, but oil is the only thing I really can't grab from the QS.

It occurred to me that I could also bring or buy some aluminum foil and leave that in the Owner's Locker (thinking of liners for pans if roasting potatoes or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Breakfast is what we will cook and yes, the fry pans have been non-stick. We just buy butter in the store along with eggs and fry with that - makes it easy.
Good to know they've been non-stick. Cooking with butter is certainly viable. Actually, it just occurred to me, our ghee doesn't need to be refrigerated and since it's clarified, it cooks at a higher temperature. Hmm . . . Maybe the Indian subcontinent has the way out of this quandary!

Quote:
DH is a pepper and salt packet hog anytime we eat - grabs a bunch. So at WDW I actually put that to use and bring them back to the room. It's rare for us to season with much else but if we did I'd just bring a little snack baggie with some along. That's what I'll do with any items that would otherwise be more than we need there.
I also grab mayonnaise packets. We have an egg cooker in the OL, so if I have hard-cooked eggs, I squeeze a little mayo on top for a deconstructed deviled egg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
I often will use butter at home as the fat of choice when cooking, or olive oil, depends on my mood, or what I'm doing...sometimes it's that nice thing of bacon fat I keep next to the stove hee hee, not too much, though, it can be overpowering.
Yeah, we have the bacon fat jar, too! It's filled, though, so I need to do a pot roast before pot roast season is over.

Quote:
If you are heading to the store when you arrive, or getting groceries delivered, and you really want olive oil, you could just resign yourself to the fact that most of it will be thrown out..the five bucks wasted is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the trip, right? And it's all part of the game, anyway.
It's probably not worth the money, but I wonder if the sell tiny bottles of olive oil? We could just toss one in the suitcase. I'll have to check Amazon.

Quote:
That said, if you want to bring some from home? Certain plastic beverage bottles have very well engineered closures, I've had very good success with Pepsi and Mtn Dew bottles. You put your olive oil in there (actually I was doing it with alcohol) and get the cap on good and then wrap some black tape or stretch wrap around it (keeps the tension on the cap and it doesn't vibrate loose), never had a drop leak in the suitcase. I put it in a ziploc just in case.

If you aren't doing checked bags? Never mind
Definitely checking bags - a little more difficult because I"m flying in to FLL a week earlier for a conference, then driving up to WDW and meeting DH there who will be flying into MCO the same day. I'll have to assemble and leave stuff together for him to pack. So, it's actually not my logistical issue, but his.

I could even use toiletry bottles, but I like the idea of a plastic bottle with some extra protection. I could even put all the vulnerable stuff into a Tupperware style container to protect from smashing as well as provide extra leak protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Pans are non stick and I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of them.
That's good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJanine View Post
We used to fly Non-stop on Southwest, so one suitcase was filled with cereal, sliced ham, precooked bacon, Jimmy Dean turkey crumbles, cheese [both babybel and sliced], and English muffins/croissants. We would then "splurge" and buy the eggs and milk at the resort store.

The ham, turkey crumbles and muffins would be frozen and packed frozen to aid in keeping other items cold. Luckily, we never had issues.

Then the husband would go down to the quick service bar and "acquire" the little butter/magarine tubs and S&P packets. Now that the stores have expanded, we just pick up the butter there and I bought the S&P cardboard 'picnic' style from the grocery store spice aisle, slip them in a ziplock and toss in with my other Disney travel supplies.

And on the return the suitcase was filled with dirty laundry!

Once we realized how much we saved by doing this, the extra effort was well worth it.
I don't mind having groceries delivered, but this is the first time cooking is a real option for us. With some frozen (or fresh) breakfast meats, eggs, and English muffins, I really won't need a QS breakfast at all.

My normal breakfast is two nuked soft-cooked eggs over a slice of toast drizzled with olive oil, but I like a full breakfast every few days.

Dirk

Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
melcort10
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It's probably not worth the money, but I wonder if the sell tiny bottles of olive oil? We could just toss one in the suitcase.
They absolutely sell small bottles of olive oil. You can usually get them in the regular oil section at the grocery store.

Have you ever had Camp Mix? It is a mix of salt and pepper and a couple other types of salt. We use it for seasoning just about anything (even when not camping) like eggs, meats, salads, and it is just one small bottle that you could easily pack.
melcort10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcort10 View Post
They absolutely sell small bottles of olive oil. You can usually get them in the regular oil section at the grocery store.

Have you ever had Camp Mix? It is a mix of salt and pepper and a couple other types of salt. We use it for seasoning just about anything (even when not camping) like eggs, meats, salads, and it is just one small bottle that you could easily pack.
Oh, tasty! And Iíll look at Olive Oil options. Thanks!

Dirk

Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
lisacast
One Bedroom

I usually cook. At the villas, I usually just use butter while at home I usually use olive oil. If I plan on cooking something that needs spices I will bring a little bit. I have been using Amazon Now for grocery shopping since I am a Prime member, but the other options are fine.

My latest favorite thing to cook at the villas is bisquick biscuits. It goes well with breakfast, salads, and soups. I uses up the milk I have and is pretty easy to make. Also for some reason there is a wow factor of "baking" while on vacation.

Maybe just something we like but I thought I would share it.

Anyways enjoy your 1 bedroom

Owner since 2012
lisacast is offline   Reply With Quote