home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #61
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
So I’m not much of a disk guy as I just can’t envision that space in 10-20 years being active (if not much sooner).

I do have stream servers set up if all my owned content from the disk era that required a project mindset to get all of it off the disks. Was pretty easy if you have the desire to do so...just time intensive.

Adding additional digital content is my main priority as I want it instantly accessible. I agree streaming’s services and digital content “leased” is not ideal but it helps fill my gaps and I also enjoy the original content provided.

I went from being all about disks from late 1990s-2014 to having my entire collection on my own streaming server including bonus contents. Kind of a fun thing to do.
I won’t buy CDs unless they are very rare (still happens with some small classical and choral groups who record a CD and aren’t hooked into streaming yet). I still have my collection in 3 boxes, but most of it is accessible through having ripped or subscribed through Apple Music.

I do have a fair number of DVDs. I’m likely to re-visit that again now that Disney+ is here. The big thing for me is finding a way to rip the Walt Disney Treasures series and some Met Opera video recordings from the ‘80s that still haven’t shown up online. However, they are standard def, so I’m not sure I even want them!

Walt Disney Treasures seems to be a perfect series to put up on Disney+.

My goal by the time I retire (7-10 years) is for all media and books to be digitized so I don’t have to have storage space for them.

Basically, I never want to box up a book, cd, or video again for any move!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #62
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I wonít buy CDs unless they are very rare (still happens with some small classical and choral groups who record a CD and arenít hooked into streaming yet). I still have my collection in 3 boxes, but most of it is accessible through having ripped or subscribed through Apple Music.

I do have a fair number of DVDs. Iím likely to re-visit that again now that Disney+ is here. The big thing for me is finding a way to rip the Walt Disney Treasures series and some Met Opera video recordings from the Ď80s that still havenít shown up online. However, they are standard def, so Iím not sure I even want them!

Walt Disney Treasures seems to be a perfect series to put up on Disney+.

My goal by the time I retire (7-10 years) is for all media and books to be digitized so I donít have to have storage space for them.

Basically, I never want to box up a book, cd, or video again for any move!

Dirk
I own all the disney treasures dvds and ripped them all using handbrake.

Some of the disney treasures are on Disney+. I think the Disneyland holiday one and I couldíve sworn silly symphonies.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #63
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So Iím not much of a disk guy as I just canít envision that space in 10-20 years being active (if not much sooner).

I do have stream servers set up if all my owned content from the disk era that required a project mindset to get all of it off the disks. Was pretty easy if you have the desire to do so...just time intensive.

Adding additional digital content is my main priority as I want it instantly accessible. I agree streamingís services and digital content ďleasedĒ is not ideal but it helps fill my gaps and I also enjoy the original content provided.

I went from being all about disks from late 1990s-2014 to having my entire collection on my own streaming server including bonus contents. Kind of a fun thing to do.
You sound like us. Though we kept the DVDs as backup. We do have redundancy built in, but with many many TBs of data there are some we keep.

I'd rather buy disk than lease with streaming though.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #64
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
I own all the disney treasures dvds and ripped them all using handbrake.

Some of the disney treasures are on Disney+. I think the Disneyland holiday one and I couldíve sworn silly symphonies.
I started to do that but lost patience with the 10 bazillion cartoon shorts. That's a lot of handbraking!!

I also didn't have the storage capacity then that I do now. It may be worth looking into it again.

Silly Symphonies, Disneyland After Dark, and I think one of the space specials with Werner von Braun are in Disney+ for sure. Plus, many of the shorts are. Spin & Marty and Davy Crockett, too. I don't think Hardy Boys is on there yet.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #65
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Mulan will be on Disney+ on December 4th at no cost.
Hopefully the article I just read is accurate with that date.
Eeyorelover22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #66
hlyntunstl
Two Bedroom

If it was $20, I would consider it. Itís just me and I rarely buy food at movies so $30 isnít a discount. I do realize Iím not their main audience but they still take my money. If I owned it at $30 rather than what amounts to a long-term, conditional rental, even if I couldnít download until December, I would still buy it. For now, my plan is to wait for it to be available for purchase or for it to be added to the regular rotation.
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote