home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #51
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
It also brings home the point how many drinks should a scooter driver be served . During food and wine I saw several drivers I thought were definitely over their limit One kept running into a trash can while balancing a drink and giggling .

Could wdw be responsible for serving alcohol to a evc user who appeared to be driving erratically?
I would think they would be.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #52
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

It is also better to stay on the left and not try to go in the opposite direction the crowd is going. Common sense goes a long way for scooter safety .
Did you mean stay on the right? I am thinking in U.S. we walk and drive on the right hand side of road....

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #53
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Did you mean stay on the right? I am thinking in U.S. we walk and drive on the right hand side of road....

Goldi
Exactly this.
And if you’re in the US, you should follow our laws including that pedestrians always have the right-of-way. The scooter operator must yield to them.

and MNSSHP!

NOV 2005 Grand Floridian (cash) - engagement!
FEB 2007 Port Orleans Riverside (cash)
APR 2009 Polynesian (cash)
JUN 2011 Contemporary (cash)
OCT 2011 Contemporary (cash) - MNSSHP
! New DVC Owners !
OCT 2013 BLT/VGF opening day
MAY 2014 BLT
OCT 2014 BLT - MNSSHP
MAY 2016 AKV - MK After-Hours
AUG 2016 VGF
OCT 2016 BLT -MNSSHP
APR 2017 OKW
OCT 2017 VGF - MNSSHP
DEC 2017 BLT
APR 2018 Coronado Springs (cash)
SEP 2018 BCV
OCT 2018 CCV -MNSSHP

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #54
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
Bless you for doing this so I didn't have to.

I'm not sure it works like that. It is more if the bar knows you are consuming all of it. If someone is obviously drunk and overserved, they could be liable.
Exactly, this is the issue. If I work in a store and sell someone 8 bottles of liquor and a keg of beer, I have no sense of their anticipated level of consumption. I am selling a container and they are taking responsibility for how people are consuming. I have a reasonable expectation that MANY are sharing that alcohol, and are doing so responsibly. It may be for a wedding for 200 people or for 2 really exubarent drinkers - I have no way of knowing. The serving, in such a circumstance, is not under my control.

On the other hand, if I am actually serving to an individual and watching them consume it, my ability to be aware of their excessive drinking is very different and I am saddled with more potential liability. Interestingly, at least in some states, third party liability can apply to homeowners as well.

With all of this said, I do think it raises an interesting (and likely untested) question about Disney’s liability for serving in relation to these scooters. While this particular case does not state that intoxication was an issue, I would wonder what would happen if Disney overserved someone at a bar or another onsite location and then that person ran someone over with a scooter. I’m not familiar with FL laws at all, but I would wonder if, in THAT type of a case, they might be seen to hold more liability.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #55
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post

Goldi
Thanks I meant stay on the left and go with the flow of the trafic .
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #56
Beth33
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I can't comment as to whether this is a frivolous suit or not... The article alludes to these injuries being permanent which could mean something worthy of a lawsuit against that individual, but whether Disney would voluntarily give the identification and contact information of the person is not known from the article text. It may be that legal action is the only way to gain that disclosure, so while I understand why some might assume this is a silly case I wouldn't go that far based on the facts as stated.
Thanks for posting this! My gut reaction was that this suit seemed rediculous. I hadn't considered that there might be circumstances under which such a suit could have merit.
Beth33 is offline   Reply With Quote