home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #91
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom
 
meeskamooska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Andover, NJ
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
You might be surprised at how many of those real people were influenced by novels, movies, and other famous figures. Inspiration can be derived from a wide variety of sources. Ask the people at NASA from the 90s to today how many were heavily influenced by star wars. Nothing wrong with positive influence regardless of the source. I think that is the most elementary issue in discussion.
Idolize (my word) and influence are very different things. Many of my own interests come from something I have read or seen, however I don't waste my time trying to make fiction fit into the real world. Movies and TV characters are the result of someone else's talent and abilities. they get to decide the characters, story and ending not me. I can't get bent out of shape every time I disagree with an ending or a character is killed off.

Being inspired or influenced to explore a career or education in a certain field is not the same as allowing something you see on tv or a movie to alter the way you feel about yourself or your potential. That, to me is dangerous and why in my house we just don't put a lot of emphasis on fictional characters.

I have a friend who idolizes characters from tv and movies. She is never happy in the real world because she is constantly looking for a fantasy. So yes. Star Trek can influence someone's interest in NASA etc but once they Get that dream job, they should not be disappointed when they don't meet a Vulcan. One of my jobs as a parent is to look for what sparks my family's interests and find a way to encourage it in the real world. So of course people are sometimes influenced by what they see or read but 99% is of it is just for entertainment and should stay that way.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #92
tink711
Add-on Aficionado
 
tink711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The movie is good and entertaining....I just don't know how you take a strong Disney character like that and make it a failure. Then yougo and replace a boy hero with a girl hero......just didn't end well for Lightning McQueen.
I haven't seen the movie but I think I understand your point.
DSSs are older now but they were in the "Cars target age bracket" when the first movie came out. They would have been bummed to see LMcQ replaced at all much less by a girl. They have no problem with girl heros or even movies more geared towards girls, they just wouldn't have liked this twist on that character set. Even now as teens, I am guessing they might not appreciate it.
Yes, life goes on and things change but you don't mess with the characters from childhood.
On the girl heros, Disney is already very strong in the girl market. They have always been weak in the boy market. They need to leave a good thing alone.
__________________

Always dreaming of my next visit ...







My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #93
WDWGoof
Grand Villa
 
WDWGoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I haven't seen the movie but I think I understand your point.
DSSs are older now but they were in the "Cars target age bracket" when the first movie came out. They would have been bummed to see LMcQ replaced at all much less by a girl. They have no problem with girl heros or even movies more geared towards girls, they just wouldn't have liked this twist on that character set. Even now as teens, I am guessing they might not appreciate it.
Yes, life goes on and things change but you don't mess with the characters from childhood.
On the girl heros, Disney is already very strong in the girl market. They have always been weak in the boy market. They need to leave a good thing alone.

Tink711, you always have a great knack for writing exactly what I am thinking.

Tom, totally get what you are saying. It's a shame this discussion got off course with people trying to read into something it's not. Seems like nowadays with social media, there is so much anger and judgement that a simple statement, not intending any disrespect, gets twisted into something more so quickly so an argument can be had on ones "principles." Lots of comments made here felt like I was on Facebook again where the habit there seems to rip people apart if they don't see it your way....one of the many reasons I do not have a FB account anymore and visit here instead.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #94
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Seems like nowadays with social media, there is so much anger and judgement that a simple statement, not intending any disrespect, gets twisted into something more so quickly so an argument can be had on ones "principles."


That was never my intent, and I am seriously upset in a sad (not mad) way that these comments are going even after I gave an apology and clarified that I wasn't saying at all what others implied. Just like what you said is nothing at all what I was doing and it hurts that you make that assumption in me.

I feel like the insults I got were unfounded as I was trying to be respectful and just have a real life conversation. In addition, the discussion is valid though, look at all of what has been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Oh shit those kids were in for a rude awakening when they first realized that engineering is not as east\y as Montgomery Scott made it seem

Cheers.

thanks for making me laugh after all that
__________________

Last edited by helenabear; 06-29-2017 at 08:09 AM.
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #95
WDWGoof
Grand Villa
 
WDWGoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post


That was never my intent, and I am seriously upset in a sad (not mad) way that these comments are going even after I gave an apology and clarified that I wasn't saying at all what others implied. Just like what you said is nothing at all what I was doing and it hurts that you make that assumption in me.

I feel like the insults I got were unfounded as I was trying to be respectful and just have a real life conversation.
Exactly my point. You are taking this that I am referring to specifically you. If I was, I would have directed it to you. There are MANY conversations going on here and I am referencing the entire concept of one discussing an opinion and MANY going in a different direction.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #96
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Exactly my point. You are taking this that I am referring to specifically you. If I was, I would have directed it to you. There are MANY conversations going on here and I am referencing the entire concept of one discussing an opinion and MANY going in a different direction.
Except, of course, that there were assertions made to try and justify this "simple" "opinion" that are clearly invalid in the real world. Since it ls clear that effort was made to justify a position (and the justification is pretty much provably invalid) I see nothing wrong with pointing that out. And trying to whitewash things by claiming that this is not here is likely not going to work with some people who can see what is being said.

And it doesn't mean that anyone intended to be controversial. But that fact that things couched as "simple" statements can show the fallacies in thinking that exist is certainly worth mention IMO.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #97
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Exactly my point. You are taking this that I am referring to specifically you. If I was, I would have directed it to you. There are MANY conversations going on here and I am referencing the entire concept of one discussing an opinion and MANY going in a different direction.
Then I am sorry. I thought this was partially directed at me even though you didn't specifically say so because more than one person was doing that. I felt like there was a lot of passive aggressive posting here in addition to direct posting.

I do think that going off in many different directions in a conversation isn't always bad though. We had some interesting thoughts on both changing roles and does Disney need to work on better roles for children.

The insults and twisting of words I could do with out. Conversation sparked on thoughts I enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Except, of course, that there were assertions made to try and justify this "simple" "opinion" that are clearly invalid in the real world. Since it ls clear that effort was made to justify a position (and the justification is pretty much provably invalid) I see nothing wrong with pointing that out. And trying to whitewash things by claiming that this is not here is likely not going to work with some people who can see what is being said.

And it doesn't mean that anyone intended to be controversial. But that fact that things couched as "simple" statements can show the fallacies in thinking that exist is certainly worth mention IMO.

Cheers.
Well said - good thoughts there all around.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.