home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
As always, because Disney changes their mind at the drop of a dime, I don't know anything until Disney announces it. And even then, "Theater? What Theater on Main Street?" And how many announced overhauls of Downtown Disney until we got what they said? I think DS is revision 3.0 or something like that.

Dirk
Surely it's at least 3.2 by now -- they keep changing it! I go twice a year and am still uncertain finding my way around over there....

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i'm a skeptic about anything any cast member says about disney. i see such phone calls as bogus attempts to appear concerned about guests and/or some way to get them to spend more money.
While I agree that Disney ultimately wants to get more of our money, I do think that they actually want to hear about our experiences and concerns. Happy guests spend more money!

The only call Iíve gotten from Disney was after I filled out a post-vacation survey. We had a problem with the cleanliness of our second room upon check in, and I mentioned that on my survey. A CM called me to get more information and apologize for the oversight. She also credited my card for the price of a full clean. I told her that it wasnít necessary, but she insisted. Granted, my call was in response to a comment on a survey, while OPís call was just a PR thing. But I think itís fair to say that they really do care what we think. Just my 0.02.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
No - you were fine, duly skeptical!

I've noticed a trend that when people read other boards with rumors, there is more posting of them over here with less clear attribution and a higher degree of certainty that they are fact when it's all still rumor!

Not singling any one person out. I've seen it in several threads from different people.

Dirk
I've seen it in other locations too. I'm a part of a couple DVC facebook groups and some of the rumors presented as facts are pretty big. I think people love Disney so much that any speculation they like (or sometimes hate) is taken as gospel

Skeptical is a nicer word that what my husband uses... he thinks I'm a total cynic or pessimist. I personally see it as setting expectations low so I won't be disappointed

Quote:
i'm a skeptic about anything any cast member says about disney. i see such phone calls as bogus attempts to appear concerned about guests and/or some way to get them to spend more money.
I tend not to believe most of what is said unless it's in print. Even then sometimes what is in print isn't always held to (Reunion Station *cough cough*)

I do think sometimes the responses are legit though. But mostly surrounding when one has an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
While I agree that Disney ultimately wants to get more of our money, I do think that they actually want to hear about our experiences and concerns. Happy guests spend more money!

The only call Iíve gotten from Disney was after I filled out a post-vacation survey. We had a problem with the cleanliness of our second room upon check in, and I mentioned that on my survey. A CM called me to get more information and apologize for the oversight. She also credited my card for the price of a full clean. I told her that it wasnít necessary, but she insisted. Granted, my call was in response to a comment on a survey, while OPís call was just a PR thing. But I think itís fair to say that they really do care what we think. Just my 0.02.
I've gotten a couple of calls. One was after I wasn't thrilled about the trash deal. After experiencing it, it wasn't bad. Though next trip I will tell them not to take trash or leave towels except on day 4. It became too much. I got a call directly from the vice pres. office and they explained a lot to me. Still wanting to see if our dues are affected by this.

I also got a call after some responses after a stay. Some good things some not so good things. Our last stay when we had reported an egg fell and broke on our balcony, we wound up getting full service cleaning daily. We put a stop to that on day 2 We thought the first time was kind of an apology, the second was like "nope, not needed" I got a call after that stay as well but I had absolutely nothing horrible to say. It was all just recording our positives to pass on to the CM's bosses and such.

I'm likely not so cynical that I think that is all bogus. I am hopeful the good really does reach the right people.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Like you said even if Disney announces something it's not always coming to fruition (like said theater)
Exactly. Even if a rumor is true, until the thing is built and running, plans can always change. Even after something is built and running, things could change. Look at Alien Encounter.

Anywho, I hope I did not cause any problems. I just thought the phone call was really nice and wanted to share.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #25
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post

I tend not to believe most of what is said unless it's in print. Even then sometimes what is in print isn't always held to (Reunion Station *cough cough*)

I do think sometimes the responses are legit though. But mostly surrounding when one has an issue.
The most honest thing a CM ever said to me was "It's Disney. The answer will change in ten minutes."

Dirk
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #26
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

This reminded me that we have a message on our answering machine from DVC regarding our upcoming trip. I have not returned the call to see what they wanted, but I just might do so now.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
This reminded me that we have a message on our answering machine from DVC regarding our upcoming trip. I have not returned the call to see what they wanted, but I just might do so now.
I would. It was very nice. And there was no attempt to sell me anything. It was just, "Is there anything I can do to help with your upcoming trip?"

Oh, I made my fast pass reservations this morning. I got everything that we wanted! We decided to skip HS this trip, so the only one I was worried about was FOP.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #28
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Of course it's about getting our money. Seems not even worth mentioning as it should be obvious that a publicly-traded company is legally and morally obligated to look out for its shareholders. Saying that Disney "wants to get our money" is like saying that we want to save out money or we want to breathe.

The first post makes it sound like there's something wrong of nefarious about this rather than Duh! What's bogus about it? That Disney wants out money and does things to that effect should be obvious. Why else would they be in business? Nothing bogus about it. Anyone not realizing that this is all about money is living in their own Fantasyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Exactly! They want to know what we want. They want to give us what we want. Why? Because they like us? Bullshit. They want our money. And, if they give us what we want, we give them more money.

Not sure why some people feel so offended or bent out of shape as they post that "Disney wants our money." As opposed to what?

Some seem to feel that there's something "bogus" or "wrong" about Disney being a for-profit, publicly-traded company with fiduciary responsibilities. Seriously?

When my company sells things, we want our customers' money.

When people here rent points to others, they want the other person's money. Or do they rent at MF cost? Thought not.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #29
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Of course it's about getting our money. Seems not even worth mentioning as it should be obvious that a publicly-traded company is legally and morally obligated to look out for its shareholders. Saying that Disney "wants to get our money" is like saying that we want to save out money or we want to breathe.

The first post makes it sound like there's something wrong of nefarious about this rather than Duh!

Some seem to feel that there's something "bogus" or "wrong" about Disney being a for-profit, publicly-traded company with fiduciary responsibilities. Seriously?
I agree 100%. I always furrow my brow when people get offended over a company making money.

On the other hand, I recognize that people's experiences and beliefs are infinitely diverse. In some people's minds, perhaps companies should not be formed with profit as the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp
Or do they rent at MF cost?
I would humbly suggest to anyone who does not like it when a company makes profits: please rent out your DVC points at your MF cost. I would happily rent them from you to help prove your point.

In any case, to bring this back on topic: like I said before, there was no attempt by Maxwell to sell me anything when he called. But there is no need for that. Disney sells itself. They don't need to be pushy. We happily hand over our money to them. And that means they have a good product that is worth paying for. It's a win for us and a win for them.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #30
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

The first post makes it sound like there's something wrong of nefarious about this rather than Duh! What's bogus about it? That Disney wants out money and does things to that effect should be obvious. Why else would they be in business? Nothing bogus about it. Anyone not realizing that this is all about money is living in their own Fantasyland.

Exactly! They want to know what we want. They want to give us what we want. Why? Because they like us? Bullshit. They want our money. And, if they give us what we want, we give them more money.

Not sure why some people feel so offended or bent out of shape as they post that "Disney wants our money." As opposed to what?

When my company sells things, we want our customers' money.

When people here rent points to others, they want the other person's money. Or do they rent at MF cost? Thought not.

Cheers.
I agree with this. In the end this is al about profits.

The calls are sincere I think in that they want you to be happy, so you will come back and spend money. Nothing wrong with having "get your money" driven service. In fact some companies should care about that more. I will spend more if treated well. Smart companies know this.