home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #31
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I understand that room requests are just that, requests. But if I have a favorite area of a resort or a favorite view, I donít see the problem with asking to be assigned there. If others donít care about location or view, thatís fine too. But as long as Disney allows me to make requests, I will. To each his/her own.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #32
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I understand that room requests are just that, requests. But if I have a favorite area of a resort or a favorite view, I donít see the problem with asking to be assigned there. If others donít care about location or view, thatís fine too. But as long as Disney allows me to make requests, I will. To each his/her own.
I didn't mean to come off as rude to make anyone defensive, I just think the super specific requests are getting out of hand. I get like at OKW we book HH and then ask for Peninsular stop (though that's an option online still). So I understand it to a level. I've just been seeing more and more making big deals out of requests. I think the more we push things, the more likely we'll lose a feature. Of course if they only took online requests I'd be good too. I fear we might get there.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #33
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I didn't mean to come off as rude to make anyone defensive, I just think the super specific requests are getting out of hand. I get like at OKW we book HH and then ask for Peninsular stop (though that's an option online still). So I understand it to a level. I've just been seeing more and more making big deals out of requests. I think the more we push things, the more likely we'll lose a feature. Of course if they only took online requests I'd be good too. I fear we might get there.
Specific location requests have been going on forever. I was actually asking for specific room numbers back in the early 2000's so it's hardly new. Do I do that anymore? No. However it really isn't anything new. Frankly, as usual, Disney tends to suck at this when other hotels actually do try and meet requests. A fearful "let's not push it or they'll stop it all together"? That's letting Disney off the hook on yet another thing from my POV. I'd actually love doing something like that - putting together a puzzle - and yes, actually trying to make the guest as happy as possible with the room. It's called guest service. Attitude makes all the difference and if you view the guest as too onerous to work with then you are in the wrong job - also IMO.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #34
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Specific location requests have been going on forever. I was actually asking for specific room numbers back in the early 2000's so it's hardly new. Do I do that anymore? No. However it really isn't anything new. Frankly, as usual, Disney tends to suck at this when other hotels actually do try and meet requests. A fearful "let's not push it or they'll stop it all together"? That's letting Disney off the hook on yet another thing from my POV. I'd actually love doing something like that - putting together a puzzle - and yes, actually trying to make the guest as happy as possible with the room. It's called guest service. Attitude makes all the difference and if you view the guest as too onerous to work with then you are in the wrong job - also IMO.
I get your thoughts, though I do think the number of requests is likely way higher now than back then. So again sorry I angered. Wish I could delete now.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I remember shortly after we started our frequenter Disney trips (2003), a big stink came up because VWL said they were no longer accepting room request faxes. The resort side still did. I believe the push was to note room requests through MS and have it on the reservation. Eventually, when things went online, the major room request categories mirrored the more popular requests for each resort (section, floor, near amenity, etc.)

I have had very good luck with the online-check-in room requests. For the most part, I just don't care enough to want a specific room or wing (except AKV, where I will request a specific Savannah view and close to lobby).

The couple of times I did care, Disney came through. Once, I needed a first floor at OKW because a knee injury required a scooter and there are no elevators. Request not guaranteed, but granted. Then again, how hard is it to find a first floor studio?!

Another time, I requested a set of room numbers for PVB lake view that I knew would avoid staring into a palm tree, and that worked, too.

I think Disney does want to grant requests, but they can only do so much. I also think they honor TP requests, or else they would ask TP to stop. Len Testa has a good enough working relationship with Disney that they aren't going to jerk him around.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I think most of us here, MO, are pretty understanding about room requests. I think it's more newbie owners or those who have 50 points and go every 3 years so aren't big regulars that you see post complaints on the other board about how they want X room number (or top floor, such-and-such facing, right by elevator...blah blah blah), or even better they requested their 2 studios be next door to each other. And they don't get that exactly and then post a bitch post.

I have been specific at times. Like one time I could not get a 2BR standard view at BWV so I booked a 1BR standard and studio P/G as it was a few points cheaper than a 2BR P/G. Yep, i should have just booked the 2BR P/G. My kids were like 17 and 19 or something so it wasn't an issue to be separated but it only saved us like 5-10 points so I was dumb to do it. I requested they be across the hall from each other and expected the 1BR to be looking at the front portico/bus/entrance area and then the studio could be across the hall looking at the pool. But, nope, we got the 1BR kinda where expected but way down away from portico and closer to parking lot. And the studio was down the other wing and on same side so it faced the green grassy side boardwalk view. What irked me was we didn't get rooms until 4:30pm (after moving over from AKV at 11) and were told it was because they had to meet our location request....um, they didn't. And then the studio turned out to be right next door to the construction when they were renovating a couple years back. I'd have been completely cool about not getting request if A) we got at least 1 room ready earlier than 4;30 and B) we didn't have loud saws and hammers going next door all week long.

I, this March, did the TP fax for BLT 1BR lake view and requested one of the, I think only, 2 they have on the TOTWL floor. I wanted to slip in and out of lounge. It was my twins 20th Bday and I hoped they'd grant it due to that. So they could pop in to see fireworks their birthday week. But, nope, we got the next floor below. Which defeated the whole purpose and I actually would have been smarter to request the floor the elevator attendant for TOTWL is on (I bet that floor has more lake view 1BRs). I didn't really care though. We did get a neat walk in laundry room that I heard was not normal for BLT 1BRs...but it's because of being at the top or something (extra space). That was great for me to unpack our owners locker on the shelves in there.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #37
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
At 1:44am this morning my dining resie finder finally came through. Got our CG brunch for 12/22. Had it set up for like 3 months. Woo hoo!!! So maybe worth hanging on to my membership. Not sure I'll do a room request again, but might.

Nice! Iíll be there then, too. Late, though, 12:55 ADR so more lunch than brunch.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #38
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Nice! Iíll be there then, too. Late, though, 12:55 ADR so more lunch than brunch.
We got 10:30. I was wanting more like 11:45 (and even got the TP find for that and immediately went to book but someone else must have gotten it first because it wasn't available anymore). I'll keep trying to tweak but likely with no luck.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #39
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
We got 10:30. I was wanting more like 11:45 (and even got the TP find for that and immediately went to book but someone else must have gotten it first because it wasn't available anymore). I'll keep trying to tweak but likely with no luck.
But once you get your foot in the door, itís easier to search alternate times. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 AM   #40
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I get your thoughts, though I do think the number of requests is likely way higher now than back then. So again sorry I angered. Wish I could delete now.
I donít think anyone is angered or offended. Iím certainly not. Just a discussion about different vacationing styles and personal preferences. My personal experience with getting my room requests is about 60%. Iím always excited when Disney is able to match what I request. Iíve also gotten the BRV dumpster view, and I was perfectly happy there too. But I have zero chance of getting what I want if I donít ask. Others here donít care as much about location/view, and thatís great too. Like resort preferences, we all approach it just a little differently.

Now if only Disney would upgrade me (for free, of course) to one of the cabins!