home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

We love having two courses as options near the MK resorts, and would be sad to lose either the Palm or Magnolia. They really create such a lovely backdrop for the Poly and GF, and SOG sits so nicely between the two. There are plenty of other places for development before taking either of these courses away (I hope!).
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
jnoel
One Bedroom

I have friends that are willing to go to Disney only because of the golfing. If it wasn’t there they wouldn’t take their families.

Not sure where this notion that millennials don’t play golf came from. It’s is VERY popular with them. From an article at Golf Course Industry...

“ There are about 6.4 million millennial golfers, according to the National Golf Foundation. That’s more than any golf cohort, other than 6.8 million Gen Xers, whose birth years are generally considered 1965 to 1984. By contrast, there are 5.4 million baby boomers, once thought to be golf’s saviors, but now on the back nine of their golfing careers.”

I know almost all of my nieces and nephews and eldest son play and play when we go to WDW as well.

Last edited by jnoel; 12-01-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Golf

Yes I also love golfing at Disney but it has gotten to be very expensive. Hopefully they will keep all three 18 hole courses. I.like Lake Buena Vista the best.
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

Golf as a whole has been in decline since the great recession. Millennials are really big factor in their demise, their generation has no interest in golf. The three remaining courses are still big draws for WDW and still make a lot of money.
My city recently shuttered the city golf course. It wasn't generating the revenue anymore, and it was a nice course. They have instead invested money to turn it into a cross country course, disc golf, volleyball, etc that they can use at the High school and collegiate level for state competitions. We are the 2nd largest city in the stat too!

I would also venture that the Disney gods weren't seeing full tee times. Which is why they jumped on footgolf.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1982 View Post
The oldest millennials were 15-16 years old when Tiger won the ‘97 Masters. Golf IS very popular with millennials. But sparing the time seems to not be as realistic as it once was. For example, my company used to have a terrific annual tournament for our clients at a course that has hosted several PGA tournaments (one of which was won by Tiger back in the day!), followed by cocktails and an amazing dinner.

We cancelled it a few years ago because we were finding more and more clients that simply couldn’t spare the time. Sporting events and shows have really grown (outside working hours, only 3-4 hours including dinner).

This is obviously just one case, but I suspect that it’s probably more of a larger trend. Today’s workforce is being asked to do a lot, and external events - like golf - during normal working hours are a bystander.

As for golf during leisure time, I suspect it’s still pretty popular. But given that millennials are now having kids of their own, coupled with a higher proportion of dual-income families, weekends are family time/getting ready for the next week time, not golf time.

I'm in the group between Gen-x and millennials -- and I USED to play a lot of golf (as in 50+ rounds a year) and was a member at a club that hosted a PGA tour event.

I say I used to play a lot b/c now I maybe play 5-10 rounds total per year.

I have two young kids and skipping out to play 18 holes on the weekend just takes up too much time.

Like you said -- with dual-income families, if one parent is gone for a good chunk of the day, it really puts a lot of stress on the other parent. Plus, I like hanging out with the kids -- even if it's just going to the grocery store or watching TV.

I have taken my kids out golfing with me -- but that isn't always the easiest thing to do when they're young. Not to mention -- it can get pretty boring for them to hang out for a full 18 holes. While my kids are usually well behaved, I never can be sure what they'll do...especially if a deer is spotted.

"OMG -- THERE'S A DEER OVER THERE!!!"

You just have to hope that excited scream isn't in someone else's backswing or birdie putt.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
DrDisney
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwarzbauer View Post
Yes I also love golfing at Disney but it has gotten to be very expensive. Hopefully they will keep all three 18 hole courses. I.like Lake Buena Vista the best.
I just planned a golf trip to Disney in early March. I don't find it expensive, but I live in New York so there is no such thing as sticker shock. I think the new DVC golf membership is a great deal, so that is what I plan on using when I go down for a few days.
DrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Golf

What is the new Dvc golf membership
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwarzbauer View Post
What is the new Dvc golf membership
This: https://www.golfwdw.com/learn-more/d...lub-membership

It includes this:

Exclusive Disney Vacation Club® Golf Member hat and bag tag $50
4 companion passes for the Disney Vacation Club® Golf Clinic $80
6 guest passes to play golf at your same rate $90
6 complimentary baskets of Driving Range balls $66
4 complimentary rounds on Disney’s Oak Trail golf course $100
4 complimentary Twilight rounds of golf $200
8 complimentary rounds of FootGolf $160
Total value for Disney Vacation Club® Golf Membership $746 Value

The cost is $99 plus tax

I was told in November that the twilight rounds begin at 1pm.

It seems like a really good deal.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
DrDisney
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post

It includes this:

The cost is $99 plus tax

I will be traveling with my 2 brothers and my father, so we make a foursome. Since they give you vouchers for the above, they don't have to be used by the member. So... Sunday morning golf clinic, followed by the free afternoon round for all. Free 9 hole round the next day, then $15 off the DVC rate for 18 holes the next morning. Will easily get $300 worth.

LBV is my favorite of the courses.
DrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #20
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post

It includes this:

The cost is $99 plus tax

I read that you have to already be a DVC Member. Do you know if you have to be a direct member? This might make it worthwhile to bring my own sticks to WDW.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote