home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #61
cali09
Two Bedroom
 
cali09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Wonder if this is going to make contract prices drop at GC... Very cool news unless politics and money get in the way again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
Doubtful. GC only has 52 total units and demand will remain high. Adding these points in will make it even more difficult to get in at 7 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
No way....You have a direct door to California Adventure! No other DVC resort can make that claim at any Disney Theme Park.
Agreed to all. Plus, the Grand Californian is the "flagship deluxe resort" at the Disneyland Resort. Disney thinks of and classifies the Grand Californian as being in the same (highest) hotel class as the Grand Floridian at WDW. Each has the best restaurant at their respective property-Napa Rose at the Grand Californian and Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian. And as Tom said, the Grand Cal has THE premium location.

For those who have never visited the Disneyland Resort and stayed at one of the Disney owned hotels, the Disneyland Hotel is a bit of a hike from the park entrances. So much so that the off-property hotels on Harbor Boulevard are a much shorter walk.

So a DVC tower as part of the Disneyland Hotel is not going to command the same kind of premium as the Villas at the Grand Californian.

What DVC does with price per point is one thing, but I can't see how DVC could justify the points chart being higher than the VGC points chart given the significant difference in location and since the Disneyland Hotel is not in the same hotel class at the Grand Cal.
__________________
Deb

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #62
Nickys
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathpack View Post
Traffic here is such a nightmare that you might not enjoy visiting LA too much daytripping from the OC. It depends on your tolerance for traffic but it could easily be 90 minutes (one way) of frustration to get to Universal Studios, Santa Monica, Hollywood, La Brea Tar Pits, Getty Villa, Petersen Automotive Museum, Griffith Park Observatory, etc.

YMMV but if your desire was to visit Disneyland and LA in one trip, I’d suggest you might be better off renting some points, staying 3-4 days at DLR and 3-4 days in LA somewhere. Use your rental proceeds to get a hotel or AirBnB in LA. Or consider sticking with visiting the OC- places like Laguna Beach and Newport Beach aren’t too far from DLR and you’d still have traffic but way less.

Some people don’t seem to mind the traffic though, so maybe if you’re of that inclination you’d enjoy the daytrips to LA and the week long stay at DLR would be great for y’all.
Some good suggestions there, thanks.

Since we’d be coming from the U.K. we would have to see LA and SF at a minimum to even make it worthwhile. But renting out points and using the money to stay in LA makes a lot of sense.

A few years ago the whole family talked about doing LA, SF and Aulani. But when it came to it, all four of us voted for Florida over California. We’ll see what happens!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 AM   #63
FCivish3
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lost in Disney
Posts: 350
Default

I wonder if the City of Anaheim is going to lose money on this, compared to a hotel? I do know that they have been instituting a 'room tax' on Timeshare units in Anaheim, and it caused the price to stay there to rise significantly.

For this new building, the location is rather poor. It appears to be in the back, southwest corner of the current Disneyland Hotel property, and IT IS EVEN FARTHER AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN DISNEY THAN PARADISE PIER. And, I told myself I would 'probably' never stay in Paradise Pier again, since it was so far away from DT Disney.

As for Grand Californian points dropping in price, I DON'T THINK IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I guess we will see. But the Grand Californian is a premium building in an amazing location AND, the per point cost to stay in this new building is likely to be even higher than Grand Californian! This will make every point in the new DVC property worth LESS than the Grand Californian, but they will probably sell at about the same price.

Maybe I should just break down and start looking for some Grand Californian points to buy.
__________________
-=- Fred

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #64
heathpack
Studio
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Some good suggestions there, thanks.

Since we’d be coming from the U.K. we would have to see LA and SF at a minimum to even make it worthwhile. But renting out points and using the money to stay in LA makes a lot of sense.

A few years ago the whole family talked about doing LA, SF and Aulani. But when it came to it, all four of us voted for Florida over California. We’ll see what happens!
You could put together a nice “California Highlights” trip in mostly timeshares.
Marriott Pulse in San Diego (Destination Club people can book any number of nights)
Disneyland using DVC
AirBnB in LA
Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel (Hyatts can book in 3 or 4 night blocks)
Marriott Pulse or Ritz Carleton SF
One of the two Marriott’s in South Lake Tahoe or the Hyatt in Incline Village

Maybe you wouldn’t want to do all those locales but I’ll bet you could manage what you wanted (except LA) with private timeshare exchanges or rentals. Still using your DVC points to fund the lodging portion of your trip.
__________________
Heathpack

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Hyatt Residence Club High Sierra Lodge, Tahoe
Hyatt Residence Club Highlands Inn, Carmel CA
Marriott Vacation Club Barony Beach Resort,Hilton Head
Marriott Vacation Club Mountainside, Park City
Vistana Signature Network Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #65
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathpack View Post
Traffic here is such a nightmare that you might not enjoy visiting LA too much daytripping from the OC. It depends on your tolerance for traffic but it could easily be 90 minutes (one way) of frustration to get to Universal Studios, Santa Monica, Hollywood, La Brea Tar Pits, Getty Villa, Petersen Automotive Museum, Griffith Park Observatory, etc.

YMMV but if your desire was to visit Disneyland and LA in one trip, I’d suggest you might be better off renting some points, staying 3-4 days at DLR and 3-4 days in LA somewhere. Use your rental proceeds to get a hotel or AirBnB in LA. Or consider sticking with visiting the OC- places like Laguna Beach and Newport Beach aren’t too far from DLR and you’d still have traffic but way less.

Some people don’t seem to mind the traffic though, so maybe if you’re of that inclination you’d enjoy the daytrips to LA and the week long stay at DLR would be great for y’all.


Any time we stay in the area, it's a DL stay just for DL and then relocate to a better location (and occasionally a better hotel) for LA area touring.

It might be different if you plan a week stay at DL and a non-Disney day or two (say a studio tour and Hollywood, Universal, or beach day) and you only have to drive to one general location.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #66
Nickys
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathpack View Post
You could put together a nice “California Highlights” trip in mostly timeshares.
Marriott Pulse in San Diego (Destination Club people can book any number of nights)
Disneyland using DVC
AirBnB in LA
Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel (Hyatts can book in 3 or 4 night blocks)
Marriott Pulse or Ritz Carleton SF
One of the two Marriott’s in South Lake Tahoe or the Hyatt in Incline Village

Maybe you wouldn’t want to do all those locales but I’ll bet you could manage what you wanted (except LA) with private timeshare exchanges or rentals. Still using your DVC points to fund the lodging portion of your trip.
Thanks!

How do you do a timeshare rental for other companies? Doing it privately is too risky when you don’t have a site like MO where you kinda “know” who you’re renting from.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #67
heathpack
Studio
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Thanks!

How do you do a timeshare rental for other companies? Doing it privately is too risky when you don’t have a site like MO where you kinda “know” who you’re renting from.
Timeshare Users Group is similar to MO. If that day ever comes I could connect you with trustworthy Marriott and Hyatt people. I own both of those myself so might be game for doing a trade myself.

We own at VGC and I’m in the midst of doing a private exchange through TUG- 4 studio nights at VGC and 3 two bedroom nights at Marriott’s Newport Coast for them, 7 nights in a privately owned 3BR condo in Bend OR for us.

I was previously discussing a private TUG trade of 1 week Savannah view studio for me in exchange for 1 week 2BR Marriott Ile de France for them. But in the end I had a conflict with the AKL travel date (I prefer Sept and am going to Sun Valley Idaho in Sept to do a bike race plus vacation instead).

It does work best if you’re exchanging with someone familiar with the rental value of DVC. Most of the people I’m trading with would be happy to accept cash instead, if you just wanted to rent out your DVC points and pay others to book your stays.
__________________
Heathpack

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Hyatt Residence Club High Sierra Lodge, Tahoe
Hyatt Residence Club Highlands Inn, Carmel CA
Marriott Vacation Club Barony Beach Resort,Hilton Head
Marriott Vacation Club Mountainside, Park City
Vistana Signature Network Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #68
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 1,527
Default Universal

The last time we stayed at Grand California we also did Universal studios which was great but the drive was ridiculous
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software