home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #21
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post

We really loved the Hilton Waldorf- can't say anything bad about it. Our Copenhagen hotel on the other hand . . . .
Don't leave me hanging! I'm going to have to pick a Copenhagen hotel, ideally near the cruise port.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #22
jmark
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Don't leave me hanging! I'm going to have to pick a Copenhagen hotel, ideally near the cruise port.
Well letís say the name of the hotel rhymes with Snivoli. It wasnít terrible- it was in need of some upkeep (hall rugs dirty), small room and the ac didnít work at all (although itís my understanding that many hotels in Copenhagen donít have ac). Again not the worst hotel Iíve ever stayed at but Iíd try a different hotel if I went back.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #23
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Well letís say the name of the hotel rhymes with Snivoli. It wasnít terrible- it was in need of some upkeep (hall rugs dirty), small room and the ac didnít work at all (although itís my understanding that many hotels in Copenhagen donít have ac). Again not the worst hotel Iíve ever stayed at but Iíd try a different hotel if I went back.
Like the Gardens, got it. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #24
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Default Another Copenhagen Hotel..

We stayed at the Hotel Kong Arthur. We kind of picked it by ratings and good reviews. I love smaller and more local hotels and we would stay there again.

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #25
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Beautiful pictures. Following along. Thank you for taking the time to share

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #26
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I am 100% in with this trip report! Can't wait for more! As our kids get older, we definitely want to do more trips like this!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #27
jmark
Two Bedroom

Day 2- Part 1:

ďI saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rainĒ
Warren Zevon Werewolves of London

Well we didnít see any werewolves in London but starting with our first day in London we did see quite a bit of rain. They say that in New England if you donít like he weather, wait a few hours. Apparently in London you only have to wait a few minutes. One hour it would rain, the next it would be sunny, the next cool, the next hot, then rainy again. It basically went back and forth like that over all three days we were in London.

After breakfast at our hotel (which was very good for a hotel breakfast which based on past UK experience is a bit of an anomaly), our first stop was the Tower of London. Me and BH had both been there before but we thought our kids would be entertained. Who doesnít like to hear stories about beheadings and torture? Our hotel was pretty centrally located, and the tower was only a few stops on the tube. We got there a bit after it opened and took in some views of tower bridge before we went into the tower.

A gloomy London morning looking out towards the Shard:

First we headed to see the crown jewels before they became busy (which they did):

PHOTOS BANNED BY THE QUEEN BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE HER CROWN JEWELS

Obligatory guard photo:

After seeing the crown jewels, we waited for a beefeater tour.

pic uploader

If youíve never been to the tower, I would highly recommend the beefeater tour as they are very entertaining and love to tell stories regarding the beheadings and other stories about the Tower. DD and the Boy were enthralled by the story of Queen Catherine Howard who cheated on Henry the VIII with a certain Mr. Culpepper and on her death declared that she would rather die as ďMr Culpeperís wife then as Queen.Ē. The beefeater told us that after she made such statement, the guards grabbed Mr. Culpeper who was in the crowd and beheaded him as well (for the ultimate Simpsonís Díoh moment). While it appear he may have embellished the story, it did keep my kids attention. Regardless, the kids were very excited to see the ďBloody TowerĒ and torture exhibit.

Our kids contemplating the severed hand in the rocks:

The rack (sometimes I wish I had one in the house):

The White Tower is the main tower which has most of the exhibits. They are guarded by some ravens. Nevermore.

They took a shine to my BH. Not sure what to make about that. (Weíd have some more interesting run in ins with birds later in the trip)

We also visited the main white tower which had some interesting exhibits.

Reminds me of my grad school days:

Not sure what the steampunk dragon has to with anything- maybe the dragon from the Festival of Fantasy parade is being repaired here?

DD enjoyed doing a jousting game.

The tower is touristy and crowded but it is somewhat unique. The kids liked the tower but they would actually prefer another castle later on in our visit. Next Up part 2- Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms and dinner at the Savoy Grill.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
jmark
Two Bedroom

Day 1 Part 2
After leaving the tower and took some obligatory London phonebooth shots:

We werenít super hungry for lunch but decided to be British for the day and head back to our hotel for some afternoon tea:

The hotel had put out some finger sandwiches and cakes with tea and soft drinks which was enough to tide us over until dinner. Again, I canít say anything bad about our hotel.

Our next stop was Westminster Abbey where I had pre-bought tickets. Westminster Abbey like the crown jewels didnít allow photos. The abbey was interesting. I had been to St. Paulís before but not the abbey. I think the kids may have enjoyed St. Paulís with its crypt but they enjoyed it enough.

We did visit the jubilee gallery at the abbey which is located in the tower and had some interesting historical exhibits. It was worth the small add on price if nothing else it was a respite from the crowds of the abbey.

We then walked a few blocks to the Churchill War Rooms which we had prepaid tickets. We got there a bit early so the kids had a brief ice cream break:

We were really excited to go to the war rooms as neither me or BH had ever been but to be honest it was kind of a let down. The rooms were very crowded and it kind of just looked like cramped office rooms in a basement with most of the rooms behind glass. Since we were on our feet most of the day, maybe we were just getting tired but in retrospect we would have probably enjoyed doing something else.

Churchill's desk:

The accompanying Winston Churchill museum wasn't bad though.

After the war rooms it was time for dinner. I had booked a reservation at the Savoy Grill which is one of Gordon Ramseyís restaurants located in the Savoy Hotel (way too swanky for us). I told the kids before dinner that they needed to get their craziness out because if they acted crazy in the restaurant, the chef would come out and yell at them. (They didnít need to know that Gordon Ramsey is barely ever there).

Bro took it to heart:

The kids have recently started watching Masterchef and apparently Bro thought everyone on the show was in the restaurant by pointing at a bald guy and asking me if he was on Masterchef.

The menu contained of what you would expect (beef wellington, fish, steak, etc.) The food was good and it was nice to have a fancy dinner before the cruise but frankly Iíve had better meals and I dare say we had a better meal in Copenhagen. Given the price point we were a bit disappointed. I was also secretly disappointed that I didnít see a plate of risotto go flying. While I wouldnít say it was bad, for the price I anticipated it to be a little better.

Since we all were still acclimating to London time, we headed back to the hotel and called it a night.

Next Up- London Day 2 Pre-Cruise a tour of London and some sport.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Your post just made think that our next England trip, planned for a summer, might get moved to a May to avoid some of the tourist crowds. When we were at the Churchill War Rooms one January, it was just us.

Abbey is always a crowded mess, regardless of season. They seem to go back and forth on photos. Used to be you could purchase an add-on that permitted for private use.

Looks like you all had a great time! Can't wait for more.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #30
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Great report!!

I can't even think of the Crown Jewels anymore without remembering that scene in Sherlock where.... oh well, either you've seen it or you haven't.