home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
VTloveDW
One Bedroom

Default Southwest Rapid Rewards Question

Just wondering what opinions are on this...

Southwest has an offer for me to purchase RR points at 40% off. I could buy 60,000 points for $990 (instead of $1650). Usually the points we need to fly per RT ticket are equivalent to 12000 points or $230. If I am doing the math correctly that's approximately 5 tickets for $990 (if we buy the tix it's $1150).

Furthermore, if we buy the tickets and have to cancel (or the airfare drops in price) we have 1 year to use the credit...BUT if it's points they just go back into the account.

Let me know if my thought process is accurate. Obviously, this would limit us to just Southwest for our upcoming travel, but I think it might be worth doing as we can fly from Albany, Hartford, or Boston.
VTloveDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

So you are considering buying discounted "SWA cash" which can only be used on SWA flights. With careful planning you may well come out ahead. But not by so much that it necessarily makes sense to do this. SWA flights are constantly changing price, presumably meaning that the points required are also changing. It's almost inevitable that you will have some points left over, or not enough for your plans.

I don't think you would lose much by taking this offer based on what you've said, but I don't think you would have dramatic savings either, maybe up to 25% either way. In the meantime, SWA has your money, and you don't.

My personal preference is to pay for what I want, when I'm sure I want it, and not get involved in promotional gimmicks. But your preference is the issue here. If you like it, go for it!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
FessParker1
Grand Villa

If you dont have the business account card just get that one and the 60,000 points that go with it.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTloveDW View Post
Just wondering what opinions are on this...

Southwest has an offer for me to purchase RR points at 40% off. I could buy 60,000 points for $990 (instead of $1650). Usually the points we need to fly per RT ticket are equivalent to 12000 points or $230. If I am doing the math correctly that's approximately 5 tickets for $990 (if we buy the tix it's $1150).

Furthermore, if we buy the tickets and have to cancel (or the airfare drops in price) we have 1 year to use the credit...BUT if it's points they just go back into the account.

Let me know if my thought process is accurate. Obviously, this would limit us to just Southwest for our upcoming travel, but I think it might be worth doing as we can fly from Albany, Hartford, or Boston.
Does anyone know if you purchase rapid reward points if those apply towards companion status?

goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Does anyone know if you purchase rapid reward points if those apply towards companion status?

goldi
If your close just buy a bunch of Visa gift cards and spend them as cash
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
If your close just buy a bunch of Visa gift cards and spend them as cash
You mean buy southwest visa gift card?

I didnít know they did this.

I just opened up a chase checking account for a 30k bump.

But trying to get enough to make the 110,000. So looking for opportunities
Tia goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
JustPeachy
Studio

Don't get burned by what happened to me. Two years ago I got the business card, including the advertised SWA points and used the credit card for all monthly expenses to rack up enough earnings to get the companion pass travel status. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the timing for the cutoff for the final accounting in December. I hit the minimum needed for the companion pass on December 10th. Unfortunately, the accounting of point earnings for the month of December occurred on Dec 3rd.

I missed the 110,000 mile requirement by 1,700 points. Of course I contacted both Chase and SWA to no avail. Make sure you know the date for closing the monthly numbers by the bank AND when those points end up being credited to your SW miles total by SWA.

JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
grayandry
Grand Villa

It looks like it is an okay deal...not necessarily that great. You might save a little bit of money. If that is worth the work it takes, then do it.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #9
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
You mean buy southwest visa gift card?

I didn’t know they did this.

I just opened up a chase checking account for a 30k bump.

But trying to get enough to make the 110,000. So looking for opportunities
Tia goldi
Not the southwest one but any gift cards really that you can spend. The Visa gift cards are spendable just about anywhere. Or buy enough disney gift cards to pay your MF's or any other thing you need. When doing our fixer upper a few years ago we bought lowes gift cards on raise.com at 13.7% off and went through about 80k. I bought them all with my southwest card.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPeachy View Post
Don't get burned by what happened to me. Two years ago I got the business card, including the advertised SWA points and used the credit card for all monthly expenses to rack up enough earnings to get the companion pass travel status. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the timing for the cutoff for the final accounting in December. I hit the minimum needed for the companion pass on December 10th. Unfortunately, the accounting of point earnings for the month of December occurred on Dec 3rd.

I missed the 110,000 mile requirement by 1,700 points. Of course I contacted both Chase and SWA to no avail. Make sure you know the date for closing the monthly numbers by the bank AND when those points end up being credited to your SW miles total by SWA.
That's rough. Rapid reward shopping portal and rapid rewards dining can get you over the hump too.

Goldi, purchasing points does not count towards companion.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote