home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Default The Points Guy Article

Just saw an article by "The Points Guy" re a service called Freebird. Apparently for domestic flights you can pay $19 and in the event of cancellation or delay they will rebook you on another flight, one-stop or non-stop, even if the rebook is first class.

Has anyone heard more about this? Might make using airlines with infrequent schedules more attractive......
Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
MMC1
Grand Villa

Trying to research and the $19 fee one way would be very worthwhile .
Currently it is a separate policy through Getfreebird.com and not offered by specific airlines. If successful for this startup I would expect Southwest or AA to adopt this up charge eventually.
It does require a minimum 4 hour delay to qualify policy.
The Points Guy article is very positive outcome for this occurrence for his family recently.
Thanks for posting
MMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

If it does work as described, that sounds like a very nice benefit. We have a status with AA that has them doing this already, so it wouldn't be useful for us. If we did not have this, though, it might well be worth it. Also, since we have to stay on AA anyway, the move to another airline would not be useful.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Yes, the saying is: if something sounds too good to be true it probably is. That's why I was looking for feedback. There would be great value to being able to be rebooked on a different carrier if the original one had limitations on daily flights, etc.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Mj2v
One Bedroom

I look at something like this like I looked at moviepass. $9.99 for a movie a day, nearly any theater. They signed up 3,000,000 people after being around for a few years and barely having 25,000 subscribers.

They claimed that they would have marketable data to pay for the tickets and that the theaters would eventually give them a cut of ticket sales and snacks.

Their data had no value. The theater chains gutted them like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. They only survived by selling more stock to suckers.

And the theaters started their own plans.

So unless they have some magic sauce that pays for plane tickets, itís probably a short term move, hoping to get acquired.
Mj2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj2v View Post

So unless they have some magic sauce that pays for plane tickets, itís probably a short term move, hoping to get acquired.
Well, this is quite different, though. The movie case is a pay-for benefit that really is too good to be true.

This one is insurance. And that's always less than the cost of the replacement product due to the low probability of occurrence. The reality is that flight cancelled or delayed more than 4 hours are not that common (major weather events, which I'm sure would be excluded, excepted). So, this has a chance that the movie thing never did.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
Jeb
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

The only problem is that often there are no other flights if you are using a major airline and they cant rebook you automatically. It could be very useful if you fly one of the little discount airlines like spirit.

The biggest concern I have with spirit is they only have 1 flight a day on most routes out of our local airport. I have read that the wont rebook you on another airline, so this could be perfect to use with spirit or frontier.
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom

I wonder how interline agreements play into (or against) this? Some airlines don't play well with others; Frontier comes to mind which I believe has minimal if any interline agreements.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
I wonder how interline agreements play into (or against) this? Some airlines don't play well with others; Frontier comes to mind which I believe has minimal if any interline agreements.
If they're actually going to pay for the flight (which is what I believe the claim is), then interline agreements won't matter.

Cheers.