home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #41
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Note: The original intent of DVC was to make lots and lots of money for Disney. Pretty sure renting helps with that, otherwise Disney would have cracked down on it.
Spot on.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #42
Buzz Lightyear Towers
Grand Villa

Here's an interesting statistic. Earlier this year I was trying to decide whether to keep a Jambo house value studio reservation for next November, or to move to an available BWV standard view studio to be closer to Galaxy's Edge once the opening dates were released. Since I had enough points, I considered booking BWV and listing the Value studio as a spec rental. I looked on the RTT board here, and was stunned to find listings for 2 other Mouseowners spec renting Value studios that same week. So just on this board, one week of Value studios would have had THREE spec rentals. I decided to keep mine for myself, but it was an eye-opener. It seems obvious that spec renting has become more common, and is surely impacting availability.

AKV, BLT, BWV, and PVB are my home resorts. :
Buzz Lightyear Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #43
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINDVC View Post
Is there data on how many DVC members rent more points than they use personally?
Quote:
Buying with the intent of only renting points is an obfuscation, imho. Last time I checked, DVC has even expressed that concern.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...oints/renting/
That was not your original question. And that concern addressed Commercial Renting. Again, that was not your question.

I would say 0% purchase with no intention on visiting themselves. That would be a losing proposition and much better investments out there than walking a value studio for 3 months to rent for $15 per point.

I’m sorry you didn’t get what you wanted but renting is not the problem. The system is out of balance because DVC purposely threw it out to increase their profits.

Just wondering what is the real question?
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #44
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post

I would say 0% purchase with no intention on visiting themselves. That would be a losing proposition and much better investments out there than walking a value studio for 3 months to rent for $15 per point.
I don't think that is true either. When I was running numbers 3.5 years ago -- you could get about a 9% IRR on resale contracts.

Additionally -- I saw several instances of people/companies that were flipping contracts wherein they would buy large, loaded contracts and then transfer the points out and then resale them for about the same amount they bought them. I remember one particular individual on the disboards that bought a BCV 350 point contract that was double loaded. They transferred out the points they could and then used the 350 for themselves, and then listed it a couple months later for a whopping $8 less than they paid. Three years worth of points cost them $8 plus whatever MFs they had to cover.

There were also some brokers that were doing this -- which made it quite profitable b/c they weren't getting hit with the 8% commission fees on the selling end.

Not sure if flipping is profitable right now -- but it certainly was a few years ago.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 AM   #45
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Like they say, "Talking to yourself does not mean you've lost it. It's when you start getting answers that you're in trouble."
But I have to answer myself!

1. How rude would that be to sit and ignore me while I was talking?
2. No one else always says exactly what I want to hear!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #46
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Note: The original intent of DVC was to make lots and lots of money for Disney. Pretty sure renting helps with that, otherwise Disney would have cracked down on it.
Granted, from Disney’s perspective. But not my intent in purchasing a membership. The focus here is in owners’ motivation(s) for their purchase.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #47
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear Towers View Post
Here's an interesting statistic. Earlier this year I was trying to decide whether to keep a Jambo house value studio reservation for next November, or to move to an available BWV standard view studio to be closer to Galaxy's Edge once the opening dates were released. Since I had enough points, I considered booking BWV and listing the Value studio as a spec rental. I looked on the RTT board here, and was stunned to find listings for 2 other Mouseowners spec renting Value studios that same week. So just on this board, one week of Value studios would have had THREE spec rentals. I decided to keep mine for myself, but it was an eye-opener. It seems obvious that spec renting has become more common, and is surely impacting availability.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #48
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

My thoughts - opinion - gut instinct - on the amount of members who rent out more points than they use is that it is probably a small percentage of DVC owners. I think the majority of owners who have an abundance of points purchased during the recession when prices were really low, I remember watching the "how low can you go" thread - BWV - 48.00 per point - wish we purchased more points then, but everyone in my family told me I was crazy to purchase a time share but I am glad I purchased my BCV points back then, wish we purchased SSR and AKV back then too - really great deals then. Most of the owners I know personally do not rent their points. My co-worker owns close to 1,000 and she never rents them, they use them all, many times on cruises. As for me and the rest of my friends/coworkers who own, no matter how many points we have, seem to be always short So we do not rent.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #49
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Granted, from Disney’s perspective. But not my intent in purchasing a membership. The focus here is in owners’ motivation(s) for their purchase.
Current limit to own under one name is 8400 points, MF on these will be north of 50k, Disney knows people will not be using all the points every year. This limit has been increased in last 4-5 yrs from previous 6400 limit.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote