home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aGoofyDad View Post
If you could provide a little more info.Will you have a lot of luggage? Will you be coming in later in the day? The reason i ask is that there is nothing like taking the ferry from Weehawken into NYC at night. No view better. Bonus is they run shuttles directly to Times Square or Little Italy / WTC/ Chinatown. I'd take a Lyft/Uber to the ferry and head over. $18 per person last time I took it. Obv children are less expensive. Has anyone else used the ferry over?
It will be just me and my 16 year old daughter traveling solo .....only a small rolling suitcase for each of us...

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
Boundin'
Grand Villa

https://www.panynj.gov/path/newark-station.html

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
I can park at my friend's house in Newark and we will have just a small rolling suitcase. Im looking take a train or shuttle or something b/c I am brave, but not brave enough to drive in NYC ...plus it costs $80 million to park there. LOL...it will be me and my teenage daughter so we are looking for daytime options. I am pretty familiar with NYC and somewhat familiar with their subway system. We are looking to book a hotel somewhere in Times Square...
Ok, if you've got free parking in Newark then I would for sure just take the train from Newark Penn to NYC. You can do Path or NJ Transit. If it were me I'd take the NJ Transit train to NYC. Buy your tickets at the station to avoid the extra surcharge, and just buy them one way before you board rather than trying to keep track of your return ticket later on. There is not much of a discount if anything on a round trip.

From Newark the train would stop once at Secaucus junction and then finish at NY Penn station. One the way back you can take either the North Jersey Coast line or the Northeast Corridor line to get back as they both pass through Newark. It'll be the second stop as well on the way back.

Whether you want to walk, taxi, or subway after that to get to Times Square is up to you.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Another vote for train from Newark to Penn Station being your easiest most convenient option. And when will you be there? A meet perhaps...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #15
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
I can park at my friend's house in Newark and we will have just a small rolling suitcase. Im looking take a train or shuttle or something b/c I am brave, but not brave enough to drive in NYC ...plus it costs $80 million to park there. LOL...it will be me and my teenage daughter so we are looking for daytime options. I am pretty familiar with NYC and somewhat familiar with their subway system. We are looking to book a hotel somewhere in Times Square...
I agree with the other posts about taking the train into Penn Station NY. Itís quick, easy, and cheap. The trains arenít the most beautiful or comfortable but itís not a long trip luckily.

I usually stay in mid-town, but a friend wanted to stay in Times Square just to try it once and we ended up at the Marriott Marquis. The rooms there are a decent size, as far as NYC hotel rooms go. Iíd definitely consider it an option if staying in the Times Square area.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 AM   #16
oswaldislucky
Studio

I have read that the train is the easiest and most cost effective way to get from EWR to midtown, so I would do that. What time do you plan to arrive? I think that the train runs every 15 minutes during normal daytime hours, but it may be less often late in the evenings. I think there is a NJ Transit website that will list schedules if you put in when you think you will arrive. I fly into JFK and take the AirTrain and then the subway to midtown, but I am interested in how your EWR-NY Penn Station trip goes.

What do you plan to do in NYC? See shows? Go to museums? Walk the High Line? I usually stay in the Hilton Midtown area (53rd and 6th) to avoid the congestion around Times Square. I've had friends stay at the Sheraton, Marriott Courtyard, Park Central, Hilton Garden Inn...all have had good experiences. Have a wonderful trip!
oswaldislucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Train is our preferred transportation. When we fly into EWR we hit air-train than the train usually to Penn. Especially once you hit NYC- subways are right there.

But we are biased, both myself and fiancťe having retired from the MTA know that trains in that area are less stressful because their is almost never any traffic jams etc.

Best option once you hit Penn NY.

Take the 1,2 or 3 subway...lands you right in the square- A,C,E will drop you at 42st & 8 th ave.

Depending on luggage walking is an option...

Last edited by noreen99; 07-30-2019 at 09:55 AM.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldislucky View Post
I have read that the train is the easiest and most cost effective way to get from EWR to midtown, so I would do that. What time do you plan to arrive? I think that the train runs every 15 minutes during normal daytime hours, but it may be less often late in the evenings. I think there is a NJ Transit website that will list schedules if you put in when you think you will arrive. I fly into JFK and take the AirTrain and then the subway to midtown, but I am interested in how your EWR-NY Penn Station trip goes.

What do you plan to do in NYC? See shows? Go to museums? Walk the High Line? I usually stay in the Hilton Midtown area (53rd and 6th) to avoid the congestion around Times Square. I've had friends stay at the Sheraton, Marriott Courtyard, Park Central, Hilton Garden Inn...all have had good experiences. Have a wonderful trip!

When I got out of college, my first job was working for a company that did trade shows so I was able to spend a week in NYC a few times a year. I absolutely love it! I had not been for about 20 years until I went in May as a chaperone for my daughter's high school drama club trip. We were on a strict touring agenda so this time we want to go back and see things we didnt get to do ...911 Memorial, the MET, probably 2 Broadway shows, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, etc..

We may stay at Hotel Edison (this is where our drama club stayed) or some other place right near Times Square. I am just putting together loose plans and a budget ...DVC has trained me to plan well. LOL

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
PSULion22
Grand Villa

From EWR, I'd go with NJ Transit to NY Penn and walk instead of the Path train to Mall of Manhattan for two reasons. First, I'd prefer a sit down cabin to a subway type cabin if possible, especially if leaving from the same station. Second, returning to the Path station in midtown is a little confusing, especially at night. It's much easier to find MSG and Penn Station. Plus the station and platform are more populated and well lit at NYP.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
TriciaS
Two Bedroom

The Path train is an option out of Newark and is a little cheaper but given the choice between Path and Nj Transit, I would go with NJ Transit.
To get to 33rd St, you will have to switch trains at Journal Square in Jersey City. I find Path does a lot of repairs on the weekends and will sometimes suspend service on some of their lines.