home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #21
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
This comes up a lot...

IMHO, the "emotional support animal" is a massive disservice to the animals, trainers, handlers of true "service animals" and those who rely on them
This, in a nutshell.

Cheers.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #22
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
He has medical issues, I don't know exactly what, but they got the dog to help with is blood pressure etc. I know he has issues with white cell count. That said, it was acquired at a few months old and they have never left it alone and it has no training, other than that which the son has done. It is not professionally trained for anything, it is a pet.
Ok.

Well, interesting and I don't understand it but poor dog if it ends up going into the parks at WDW.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 AM   #23
uwdude
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
The problem that so many of us talk about is who will regulate this card? As of right now there is no national or even statewide regulation anywhere. That would be a huge undertaking.

I do agree with you though. Unless an area says "pets allowed" they are the only animals that should be allowed in public.
Well whichever agency regulates the ADA requirements would be the logical choice. And it should be a federal thing, not a state thing, in order to be one set of like requirements for things like air travel across states,etc.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:36 AM   #24
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
Well whichever agency regulates the ADA requirements would be the logical choice. And it should be a federal thing, not a state thing, in order to be one set of like requirements for things like air travel across states,etc.
"In addition to the U.S. Department of Labor, several other federal agencies have a role in enforcing, or investigating claims involving, the ADA:"

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/disability/ada

In the case of air travel it is the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

It's not about regulating ESA's with some being acceptable and some not. It's about passing legislation that will bring the DOT rules in line with the DOJ's rules. See my post from page 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
If the DOT adopts the DOJ definition, this won't even be an issue.

From the Forbes article:
"The airlines’ solution would have DOT bring its service animals rules into line with those of the Department of Justice (DOJ), which apply to places of public accommodation throughout the U.S., including stores, hotels, stadiums, airports, and other modes of transportation (e.g., buses and trains). DOJ’s regulations (unlike DOT’s) do not require accommodation of ESAs, precisely because these animals are not trained to perform any task to assist an individual with a disability or behave appropriately in a public setting. This would remedy the current conflict between individuals having no right to bring an ESA into an airport terminal, bus or train, but having a DOT-conferred right to bring such animals into an aircraft cabin – a place of public accommodation that is particularly unsuited for untrained animals. An aircraft cabin is a confined space in which people and baggage (and increasingly also animals) are transported in close proximity to one another for hours at a time in a metal tube that tips and sways while moving at hundreds of miles per hour, with no ability to remove a misbehaving or dangerous animal from the cabin once an aircraft is in flight. The airlines’ proposal would fix this problem by bringing DOT’s air travel rules into line with DOJ’s generally applicable rules. DOT should implement this solution."
If the airline's proposed solution of having the DOT follow the DOJ's regulations, the airlines will not need to accommodate ESA's and all airlines will enforce the DOT's regulations.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by cali09; 07-25-2019 at 04:48 AM.
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #25
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
I think you're missing the point. Who really is going to start doing this? Who is going to pay for this? Who is going to decide which animals are valid and which are not? It's not just "oh the ADA regulates things so hand out a card" it is far more complex and costly than just handing out a card.

I get the want to do it, but many who know and work with service animals see the issue with getting it started in the first place.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm in the camp of simply wanting ESAs to be properly trained to set standard like service animals and for some 3rd party to prescribe their need and certify their training. If an ESA can keep somebody's blood pressure down, anxiety at bay, or something like that, I'm good with it. But the animal has to be trained to function in the environment it's in, and you still don't take a husky to Disney in July.

Also, service animals are indeed treated like pets. They are members fo the family, not a housekeeper who comes in twice a week to clean. But within rules. I have parishioner with a service dog for PTSD. His dog Pete knows when his vest is on, he's at work, and he behaves accordingly. When his vest is off, he romps with the kids, chases the ball, and has fun. Just like all of us when we come home from work.

Pete also goes to Disney and on cruises. He's a lab, so he's generally OK with it. He also gets a blessing at the communion rail.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm in the camp of simply wanting ESAs to be properly trained to set standard like service animals and for some 3rd party to prescribe their need and certify their training. If an ESA can keep somebody's blood pressure down, anxiety at bay, or something like that, I'm good with it. But the animal has to be trained to function in the environment it's in, and you still don't take a husky to Disney in July.

Also, service animals are indeed treated like pets. They are members fo the family, not a housekeeper who comes in twice a week to clean. But within rules. I have parishioner with a service dog for PTSD. His dog Pete knows when his vest is on, he's at work, and he behaves accordingly. When his vest is off, he romps with the kids, chases the ball, and has fun. Just like all of us when we come home from work.

Pete also goes to Disney and on cruises. He's a lab, so he's generally OK with it. He also gets a blessing at the communion rail.

Dirk
like.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Honestly, I don't care if they do. Why? They don't belong in the places that service dogs do anyway.

I actually want more regulations on what animals are allowed in certain places. I don't really care much about ESAs since the only difference is they are allowed in housing where otherwise an animal would not be. So why bother?

Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
swat08
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
My daughter is a volunteer for a Heels for Hope and is learning to train PTSD Service Dogs (for first responders and military vets). There is so much training, so many tests, and the dogs have to earn their right to wear the vests.

We are lucky to have one of these Service Dogs in Training living in our home while she trains her up to someday be given to a worthy vet or first responder with PTSD.

It frustrates me to see others abuse the privileges given to Service Dogs and shows a complete lack of respect.
Much respect and admiration for your daughter (and you for taking the dog in) - she is doing an amazing service to those individuals who need service dogs!
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #30
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

My dog gives me plenty of emotional support. But I wouldn't consider abusing rules intended to help the disabled to bring him to a Disney park.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote