home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Support Dog = Glorified pet used for emotional needs, that usually has nothing to do with a physical or medical need.

This is my opinion.....
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
cali09
Two Bedroom

H.R.4 - FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018
115th Congress (2017-2018)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...8971E6F5A1E323

SEC. 446. HARMONIZATION OF SERVICE ANIMAL STANDARDS.
(a) Rulemaking.—The Secretary of Transportation shall conduct a rulemaking proceeding—

(1) to define the term “service animal” for purposes of air transportation; and

(2) to develop minimum standards for what is required for service and emotional support animals carried in aircraft cabins.

(b) Considerations.—In conducting the rulemaking under subsection (a), the Secretary shall consider, at a minimum—

(1) whether to align the definition of “service animal” with the definition of that term in regulations of the Department of Justice implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Public Law 101–336);

(2) reasonable measures to ensure pets are not claimed as service animals, such as—

(A) whether to require photo identification for a service animal identifying the type of animal, the breed of animal, and the service the animal provides to the passenger;

(B) whether to require documentation indicating whether or not a service animal was trained by the owner or an approved training organization;

(C) whether to require, from a licensed physician, documentation indicating the mitigating task or tasks a service animal provides to its owner; and

(D) whether to allow a passenger to be accompanied by more than 1 service animal;

(3) reasonable measures to ensure the safety of all passengers, such as—

(A) whether to require health and vaccination records for a service animal; and

(B) whether to require third-party proof of behavioral training for a service animal;

(4) the impact additional requirements on service animals could have on access to air transportation for passengers with disabilities; and

(5) if impacts on access to air transportation for passengers with disabilities are found, ways to eliminate or mitigate those impacts.

(c) Final Rule.—Not later than 18 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule pursuant to the rulemaking conducted under this section.

From Business Insider:
United just banned 'emotional support animals' on long flights — and science is on the airline's side

https://www.businessinsider.com/emot...chology-2018-3

From Forbes:
Nov 13, 2018, 02:38pm
'Comfort Animals' Do Not Belong In An Aircraft Cabin; Regulators May Act Soon To Address The Problem

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhe.../#53a8bd0c4aba

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
I work in an office where the owners son has medical issues and they got him a "support dog", which they have purchased the obligatory vest for and treat it like "one of the family". The dog's bed, when it is in the office, is on the son's desk...why you might ask?....I have no idea. This isn't any type of professionally trained animal. That said, they plan to bring her to Disney next year (wanting to get it a cute princess harness and some Minnie ears to wear)...that poor animal will be humiliated. It just brings up the discussion again about support animals and them being allowed in the parks. I have voiced my opinion that the parks is no place for the animal. But I say nothing further, not my place, but it makes me shake my head....every. single. time.

Then I read this:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/t...gFp5&ocid=iehp

Wonder if this will spark a conversation from lawmakers....
I'm not in on the whole emotional support when it's just because you like your dog but you also mention medical issues and don't seem to really know why they have the dog? If you knew for certain I'm sure I could come up with an opinion. But it also sounds like there's perhaps some basis since you mentioned medical needs. No training of course is off but since you haven't shared or don't know the basis for why it was gotten perhaps it has had some training that you are unaware of? I don't know but it's all lacking on details.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
ajc
Grand Villa

(B) whether to require third-party proof of behavioral training for a service animal;

The AVMA was consulted on wording by the airline industry and we may never see this component enacted as no one can predict absolutes on the behavior of an animal with so many variables in play.
You can give a passing grade certification but no one will sign their name to assurance of infallible behavior in an animal.
The liability is too great and people do stupid things on their own much less add an animal to the equation.

Last edited by ajc; 07-24-2019 at 05:37 PM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I'm not in on the whole emotional support when it's just because you like your dog but you also mention medical issues and don't seem to really know why they have the dog? If you knew for certain I'm sure I could come up with an opinion. But it also sounds like there's perhaps some basis since you mentioned medical needs. No training of course is off but since you haven't shared or don't know the basis for why it was gotten perhaps it has had some training that you are unaware of? I don't know but it's all lacking on details.
He has medical issues, I don't know exactly what, but they got the dog to help with is blood pressure etc. I know he has issues with white cell count. That said, it was acquired at a few months old and they have never left it alone and it has no training, other than that which the son has done. It is not professionally trained for anything, it is a pet.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post

The AVMA was consulted on wording by the airline industry and we may never see this component enacted as no one can predict absolutes on the behavior of an animal with so many variables in play.
You can give a passing grade certification but no one will sign their name to assurance of infallible behavior in an animal.
The liability is too great and people do stupid things on their own much less add an animal to the equation.
If the DOT adopts the DOJ definition, this won't even be an issue.

From the Forbes article:
"The airlines’ solution would have DOT bring its service animals rules into line with those of the Department of Justice (DOJ), which apply to places of public accommodation throughout the U.S., including stores, hotels, stadiums, airports, and other modes of transportation (e.g., buses and trains). DOJ’s regulations (unlike DOT’s) do not require accommodation of ESAs, precisely because these animals are not trained to perform any task to assist an individual with a disability or behave appropriately in a public setting. This would remedy the current conflict between individuals having no right to bring an ESA into an airport terminal, bus or train, but having a DOT-conferred right to bring such animals into an aircraft cabin – a place of public accommodation that is particularly unsuited for untrained animals. An aircraft cabin is a confined space in which people and baggage (and increasingly also animals) are transported in close proximity to one another for hours at a time in a metal tube that tips and sways while moving at hundreds of miles per hour, with no ability to remove a misbehaving or dangerous animal from the cabin once an aircraft is in flight. The airlines’ proposal would fix this problem by bringing DOT’s air travel rules into line with DOJ’s generally applicable rules. DOT should implement this solution."

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
He has medical issues, I don't know exactly what, but they got the dog to help with is blood pressure etc. I know he has issues with white cell count. That said, it was acquired at a few months old and they have never left it alone and it has no training, other than that which the son has done. It is not professionally trained for anything, it is a pet.
Of course, pets have been shown to help people feel better.

That is different from "medically necessary" and a disability that is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act-Amended (ADAA).

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by cali09; 07-24-2019 at 06:19 PM.
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #17
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
If the DOT adopts the DOJ definition, this won't even be an issue.
From the Forbes article:
"The airlines’ solution would have DOT bring its service animals rules into line with those of the Department of Justice (DOJ), which apply to places of public accommodation throughout the U.S., including stores, hotels, stadiums, airports, and other modes of transportation (e.g., buses and trains). DOJ’s regulations (unlike DOT’s) do not require accommodation of ESAs, precisely because these animals are not trained to perform any task to assist an individual with a disability or behave appropriately in a public setting. This would remedy the current conflict between individuals having no right to bring an ESA into an airport terminal, bus or train, but having a DOT-conferred right to bring such animals into an aircraft cabin – a place of public accommodation that is particularly unsuited for untrained animals. An aircraft cabin is a confined space in which people and baggage (and increasingly also animals) are transported in close proximity to one another for hours at a time in a metal tube that tips and sways while moving at hundreds of miles per hour, with no ability to remove a misbehaving or dangerous animal from the cabin once an aircraft is in flight. The airlines’ proposal would fix this problem by bringing DOT’s air travel rules into line with DOJ’s generally applicable rules. DOT should implement this solution."

Of course, pets have been shown to help people feel better. That is different from "medically necessary" and a disability that is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act-Amended (ADAA).
I agree. I don't agree that a Disney park is the place for any pet. It is just too much for them and most owners are more concerned with themselves and their want/needs than the needs of their animal. She is a lovely dog...but they take immense pride in the fact that they have never left the dog alone without a member of the family there for more than 3 hours, and she has only been alone twice, since November. It just makes me want to roll my eyes.

And this is not the situation that is medically necessary.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #18
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
A co-worker paid for the vest for his son’s emotional support dog because the dog helps his son “not to do drugs.” I have a dozen such examples, but this one is the first one that comes to mind.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
uwdude
One Bedroom

IMO, the dogs who go through years of training and tens of thousands of dollars to do so should be entitled to a card that certifies they are a service animal. These animals should be the only ones allowed public accommodation. Simple as that.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #20
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
IMO, the dogs who go through years of training and tens of thousands of dollars to do so should be entitled to a card that certifies they are a service animal. These animals should be the only ones allowed public accommodation. Simple as that.
The problem that so many of us talk about is who will regulate this card? As of right now there is no national or even statewide regulation anywhere. That would be a huge undertaking.

I do agree with you though. Unless an area says "pets allowed" they are the only animals that should be allowed in public.