home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Default Emotional support animals

I work in an office where the owners son has medical issues and they got him a "support dog", which they have purchased the obligatory vest for and treat it like "one of the family". The dog's bed, when it is in the office, is on the son's desk...why you might ask?....I have no idea. This isn't any type of professionally trained animal. That said, they plan to bring her to Disney next year (wanting to get it a cute princess harness and some Minnie ears to wear)...that poor animal will be humiliated. It just brings up the discussion again about support animals and them being allowed in the parks. I have voiced my opinion that the parks is no place for the animal. But I say nothing further, not my place, but it makes me shake my head....every. single. time.

Then I read this:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/t...gFp5&ocid=iehp

Wonder if this will spark a conversation from lawmakers....
Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Support Dog = Glorified pet used for emotional needs, that usually has nothing to do with a physical or medical need.

This is my opinion.....
Old 07-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
DBridge
Studio

This comes up a lot...

IMHO, the "emotional support animal" is a massive disservice to the animals, trainers, handlers of true "service animals" and those who rely on them
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

These untrained animals need to stay home. I'm sick of people using their pets as ESAs as well.

Love pets, but it's not helping true working animals at all to have these out there.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
This comes up a lot...

IMHO, the "emotional support animal" is a massive disservice to the animals, trainers, handlers of true "service animals" and those who rely on them

Absolutely......The amount of money and time that goes into training a service dog for a person of need is tremendous.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

My daughter is a volunteer for a Heels for Hope and is learning to train PTSD Service Dogs (for first responders and military vets). There is so much training, so many tests, and the dogs have to earn their right to wear the vests.

We are lucky to have one of these Service Dogs in Training living in our home while she trains her up to someday be given to a worthy vet or first responder with PTSD.

It frustrates me to see others abuse the privileges given to Service Dogs and shows a complete lack of respect.

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
DBridge
Studio

This sums up how ridiculous this industry is. This is directly from the first company that pops up if you google "emotional support animal." Q&A section

Does my pet get entered into a government registry?
No. There is no such registry for emotional support animals.

Does my animal need any specific training to become an ESA?
The short answer is no.

Neither TherapyPet.org or Your health provider shall be responsible or liable for any damages or liabilities caused by your animal.

AKA:
We'll send you a certificate. We don't need to know anything about your animal. No training needed. No registry needed. Oh yeah, we aren't liable for anything your pet does. Just send us some money.

You want this stuff to go away? It's easy, crack down on the industry that cranks these ESA certificates out like fast food the therapists/health care providers that enable it. Hold these parties accountable for the behavior of the animals they "certify."
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
That said, they plan to bring her to Disney next year (wanting to get it a cute princess harness and some Minnie ears to wear)...that poor animal will be humiliated.
Nothing but respect for your concern regarding Animal Humiliation. I confess to having my dog wear a Tom Brady jersey - but that is very cool and even canines love TB12.

2019 - Put an End to Animal Humiliation Now!

Good job

Last edited by Commish; 07-24-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
DBridge
Studio

Sorry BTW I think I'm still jaded by the time I had to share a set of 3 seats on a 3 hour flight with a millenial couple and their 100 lb Alaskan Malamute with a little red ESA vest on.

This couple spent most of the flight laughing and chatting about their future travel plans, showing no signs whatsoever of needing travel emotional support.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Sorry BTW I think I'm still jaded by the time I had to share a set of 3 seats on a 3 hour flight with a millenial couple and their 100 lb Alaskan Malamute with a little red ESA vest on.

This couple spent most of the flight laughing and chatting about their future travel plans, showing no signs whatsoever of needing travel emotional support.
I guess that is because their support animal did such a good job.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote