home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
DisneyPhD
One Bedroom

Default Visitor Toll Pass now available at MCO

Anyone renting a car at MCO can sign up for this hang tag that allows you to pay tolls to a linked credit card at the end of your trip. The pilot phase runs from May 1 to Aug 1, 2019. I don't see any mention of how much it would be after the pilot period.

From the website...

Visitor Toll Pass™ is the smart alternative to costly rental car toll programs. Use Visitor Toll Pass™ to pay tolls electronically while traveling on any toll road throughout Florida. Visitor Toll Pass™ is accepted at all electronic toll collection points, allowing you to travel nonstop without fumbling for cash. Plus, you will pay a reduced toll rate - with no additional fees or charges.

Reserve Visitor Toll Pass™ for FREE during the pilot phase for travel throughout Florida.

https://visitortollpass.com/
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

I hope they roll this out to other locations, like the WDW ones.

We always rent a car, but the last thing DH wants to do is try driving after travelling for 12 hours. So we wait a couple of days and then pick one up from the Dolphin. And then he can practice a bit around WDW before heading to the Publix near AKL.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post

We always rent a car, but the last thing DH wants to do is try driving after travelling for 12 hours. So we wait a couple of days and then pick one up from the Dolphin. And then he can practice a bit around WDW before heading to the Publix near AKL.
There's no tolls between the WDW locations and Publix by AKL though. And no tolls between WDW and many locations such as Universal or Sea World if you are looking at other parks.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
This is not in conjunction with any of the rental car agencies. The pickup location will only be at MCO.

Honestly, the rental agencies are not going to like this program because it will reduce their income from they get from fees on their own toll program.

Last edited by JaxFLBear; 05-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.
JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Sunpass works with toll-by-plate. Buy a $5 sticker transponder so that you can create an account. Then, when you pick up a rental car, you can add the plate number and vehicle details as a rental in the mobile app. The system will bill the account by the plate and you don't ever need a transponder in the car.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
There's no tolls between the WDW locations and Publix by AKL though. And no tolls between WDW and many locations such as Universal or Sea World if you are looking at other parks.
If we just went to Publix we wouldn’t need a car.

But going to Kennedy is a pain for tolls, we always ask the front desk for any quarters they might have before we set off, to avoid having to use the manned toll booths.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

But going to Kennedy is a pain for tolls, we always ask the front desk for any quarters they might have before we set off, to avoid having to use the manned toll booths.
If you go to Kennedy then yes there are tolls.

I am apparently one of the few that doesn't care at all about stopping at a couple of tolls booths. It's easier for me than signing up for a transponder.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

You can buy the sunpass at many locations in person in FL too. I'm not sure if you can order it online if you are a UK person, but no matter what you can buy your own and not have to deal with the MCO issue.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml
Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Joel0917
Grand Villa

I bought SunPass last year. it was $19. i was tired of paying $3.95 each day when i passed a toll through the rental car toll by plate. At least 2 each trip plus upcharge in tolls.

the one time $19 fee is for the unit. i add the rental car liscense to it through the app and all set. now i dont worry about it.
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
2017 BLT, SSR, AKV and coronado
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x
Upcoming:
Dream September 2019
Star Wars AP days August 2019
F&W AKV
Thanks Giving AKV
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel0917 View Post
I bought SunPass last year. it was $19. i was tired of paying $3.95 each day when i passed a toll through the rental car toll by plate. At least 2 each trip plus upcharge in tolls.

the one time $19 fee is for the unit. i add the rental car liscense to it through the app and all set. now i dont worry about it.
As I said above also, you don't even need the $19 portable transponder. The "free" ($5 cost, but $5 credit in your account) sticker works exactly the same way if you add the rental car details to your account. You don't actually have to attach the sticker.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote