home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #111
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
When is the recession scheduled for? Just for making plans ...

I'm not saying there is a recession coming. And I'm not saying there is NOT a recession coming. I leave that to the Holy Prophets on the FOMC. But this was darn funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Greedy. Too funny. Thanks

Cheers.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #112
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I have felt for a long time that DVC owners have shared too much of the burden, especially at shared resorts.
I felt this way after my last dues statement at the Grand Californian. Housekeeping was something like 200k for DVC and then like 275k for the resort as a comparison (Off the top of my head numbers but something like this where they're not too far apart and in the 200s). I was like wait DVC has like 60 something rooms and the hotel has over 300 rooms. DVC rooms don't even get cleaned every day!

I just saw a report from a long time Disney accountant that is claiming and filed a suit against Disney because they were fudging the numbers for years. Regardless of the article, the numbers on my dues statement didn't make sense because they had the comparisons to the hotel side. I remember calling member services at they time but they were very generic in their answer. I could have been reading it wrong but thought they know what they're doing after I called. Thinking I should go back and see if I still have it.....

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #113
MMC1
Grand Villa

It’s gonna be fun around here when Maintenance and new 2020 point charts arrive but at least we have months to organize our rally cry.
That is why doing business online is so easy for discrepancies to be ignored.
Such as your checkout at hotels online folio .
I started saving the Yearly DVC Guidebooks and had to actually visit DVC Member Services to ask for copy... since they don’t mail them anymore. (I know it is correct policy )

Last edited by MMC1; 08-23-2019 at 07:42 AM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #114
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeja View Post
Fuzzylogic, the problem with your logic is that from an amenities standpoint (notably location) there is simply no comparison between VGF or Poly or BLT and RR. And making the points comparable doesn't change that. It just makes RR look like a bad deal.
If I'm understanding right, this assumes that the most desirable location is next to the Magic Kingdom. While we like MK, it's not our favorite park. We love AK, so my primary contract was at AKV. I added on some points at Poly for occasional stays near MK. Now I'm looking to add on EPCOT/HWS points, and Riviera fits that bill the best since we're young enough that a 2042 expiration is just too soon. For us, jumping on the skyliner and enjoying the view for <10 minutes before landing right outside the WS sounds amazing!

I don't love the Riviera point charts, but I don't love the ones at the MK resorts, either. I'm hopeful Reflections charts are closer to AKV so we can grab a bunch of points for more frequent MK stays in large accommodations with extended family (might be wishful thinking, but....).
Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #115
Jawfish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
If you make it to 100, then please accept a from me. I will probably still be alive, so maybe we can have a nice walk (or run!?!) through the Boardwalk early in the morning of the happy day.
That was part of our buying decision - our points expire when we are 97. Gave us purpose in life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Exactly! As DIS should be focused!! The young are eschewing home ownership, mortgages, and 30 year, same company careers for other avenues of stability and gain. They don't want to be "stuck" in any rut. They are investing in REITs, technology, shared economic opportunities and other diversified avenues for their futures - - unlike prior generations who looked at financial success as a house with an impeccably manicured - and time consuming - lawn, paid off mortgage, 1 great vacation per year, a gold watch at the end of a 30 year stint with one company, a pension and Social Security check. Everything going forward is fast, fluid and imbued with tech and the young crave experiences and luxury all year long (we raised them so); and they can and will pay for it. So, yes, this is the future and that is exactly what Disney is squarely targeting.
So while we agree with the above, we are just entering our 50's and are also I think Disney's target market. We worked hard, now have money we can spend and want more vacations, more often and not as focused on price. We are more focused on the experiences and memories (read my latest trip report - Olg's cantina bill). Read Review

We bought PVB because it was right on the Monorial. It was a "resort" with a cool tropical theme. It makes us feel special. We love PVB. We love our vacations and we do still love our DVC membership.

So I think Disney could care less the age, they want folks who will just spend money. Now with that said, they CAN take it too far I think.

Did we like chartpocolypse? No. We too were sold the bill of rights "the price per point can go up but the points per room will never increase" statements from our guide. We specifically asked that question and were told that the dates for the points could change but the points per night could not. Meaning, my 130 points at PVB should always allow me in the 1st or 2nd tier to get my week. With the new charts that they rescinded, that was not the case. Really upset us.

So we would not be very happy about 7 days turning into 6 if that ever came to fruition. We also did not love the new restrictions they added to "old" accounts. I felt when everyone bought, we were given the impression that when we sold, the buyer got the same thing. They even bragged on how Disney was different. So neither of those sat well with me.

So what did we do? Before the deadline, we bought 200 more Poly points. They are grandfathered and I can use them anywhere. Disney made zero money on that transaction. I would likely have bought RR or elsewhere for some variety but not with the new restrictions. Nope.

I do worry about the maintenance fees. If it is cheaper to book a room direct than with DVC, then we know we are getting screwed. As of right now, that is not the case. At least not at PVB. Only time will tell...

Quote:
FYI - I find Lyft is a much less expensive option in Orlando than is UBER.
I find that to be the case almost anywhere I go. I also like that Lyft basically tells you the fare ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
They cannot unless you voluntarily sell or “upgrade“
This is what other timeshares do - so I would be suspect to any "upgrades."

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)
2019 SSR (Aug - SW:GE Preview)
2019 PVB (Sep)

2019 DL Cali Offsite (Oct)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)

Last edited by Jawfish; 08-25-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #116
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawfish View Post
That was part of our buying decision - our points expire when we are 97. Gave us purpose in life...
We'll be youngsters at 82. But may be done with Disney by then. Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawfish View Post
I find that to be the case almost anywhere I go. I also like that Lyft basically tells you the fare ahead of time.
I find them comparable. And Uber shows the price up front as well. I just like the culture of Lyft better. So, after I use the $15 credit I get each month for Uber from my Credit Card, I usually opt for Lyft unless Uber is a good bit cheaper. [/quote]

Cheers.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #117
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawfish

I do worry about the maintenance fees. If it is cheaper to book a room direct than with DVC, then we know we are getting screwed. As of right now, that is not the case. At least not at PVB. Only time will tell...
That “should” never happen. Cash rates have gone up faster than MFs so far and “should” continue to do so but I can see why you’re concerned.

I think the main reason the savings % have changed is because they continue to raise the cost per point for direct. Of course resale has gone up too but if you bought earlier at a better price you will continue to see value compared to a cash stay.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #118
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We'll be youngsters at 82. But may be done with Disney by then. Maybe not
We will turn 80 the year our points expire - and I plan to use every one of them!!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #119
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
We will turn 80 the year our points expire - and I plan to use every one of them!!
I'll be 86 when our points expire - and I HOPE to use every one of them!
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #120
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
I'll be 86 when our points expire - and I HOPE to use every one of them!
I will be 85 and DH 94 - I am right there with you - plan to use them all!