home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
Excellent idea, thanks for the info.

Well thanks for bursting my bubble Mindy!
I wasnít gonna. But I did warn you to prepare to be homeless... I will now be silent and keep my fingers crossed for a terrific stay .
Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
pirate431
Studio

Just a bit of a nudge back to the particular issue I was concerned about: the overlapping nature of the split stay, not split stays in general. Iím sure info on whether overlapping stays mess up how the magic bands work (FPs, door opening, etc.) would be of interest to others as well.
pirate431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #13
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate431 View Post
Just a bit of a nudge back to the particular issue I was concerned about: the overlapping nature of the split stay, not split stays in general. Iím sure info on whether overlapping stays mess up how the magic bands work (FPs, door opening, etc.) would be of interest to others as well.
If both are DVC point stays, Iím not sure if you can have two rooms booked under the same name for the same night. I know that you can with a cash stay and a DVC point stay, because Iíve done it. If both are point stays, perhaps you could make one reservation primarily in your name and the other in another adultís name (whoever you are traveling with.)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
pdude81
Grand Villa

I don't see any way in which it benefits you to have overlapping stays on purpose. Besides it likely being ugly with MDE, you're burning the points needed for a night just in case there is a problem with the room at your second hotel.

If you have overlapping reservations and the second resort is not acceptable for some reason, then you can go back to your resort and the buffer is gone. Since you went through much trouble to make sure there was a buffer, I imagine this would cause some anxiety for the next day.

If you have overlapping reservations and the second resort is fine, you have burned a night worth of points that neither you nor another DVC member is using.

If you have no overlapping reservations and the second resort is fine, then all is right with the universe.

If you have no overlapping reservations and the second resort is not acceptable for some reason, then you have an issue to deal with and chances are the second resort will help you deal with them. At worst you'd probably pay cash to stay somewhere for a night while they figure out how to resolve the problem and return your points.a

I don't think it's likely that you will have a problem just based on my viewing of a few different forums, but better to only pay extra money or points if you need to.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate431 View Post
I am doing a split stay in January and am thinking of keeping an extra night at the first resort to avoid the hassle of being homeless for part of a day. I.e., check in to resort #2 on Monday while reservation at resort #1 is arranged for departure the next day, Tuesday? But then I thought about the magic bands, how that will work or not, etc.

Does anyone have recent experience with this? One suggestions seems to be to check out of resort #1 before checking in at #2 but that would mean I couldnít go to location #2 to check in early and be sure the room assignment is acceptable.

The only thread I could find is from 2014 (link below) and was somewhat inconclusive...
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ing+split+stay
We still periodically have issues with split stays that don't over lap and having the MB's work correctly on the rooms. What I think would be ok for a backup is to ask the front desk to also have a key card. That should at least keep working at BLT even if the MB's room link got transferred to VGF during that check in. Or if you have occupancy availability add an "extra" person onto the BLT reservation but do not have them on the VGF reservation. That MB should also keep working at BLT even if yours did not.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 AM   #16
pirate431
Studio

Thanks for all the input. The reason I was thinking about trying this is it would be nice not to be ďhomelessĒ for a few hours, not a concern that the room at VGF wouldnít be available and I would be without a place to stay overnight.

This has confirmed it just seems like too much hassle to make this work given Disneyís systems. (And to be clear generally speaking I think the magic band system is amazing and has really made visiting easieróbut like all things, it has some downsides.)
pirate431 is offline   Reply With Quote