home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Downsizing DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #141
Crafty
Grand Villa

We kept our 25 point blue card contract. I think that that means that we are hopeful for Disney to turn itself around. If we ever sell that contract, it means we won’t ever be back.

The value returned for money spent has been eroding for a while. For the time being, we will explore other venues.

We have many years of happy Disney memories. I think that right now, with the changes due to the pandemic, we would not be having excellent Disney vacations.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #142
Kathy O
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Once Covid is contained, if my besties don’t get it together for a girls trip, we can plan a MO girls trip! I think there are enough of us to have fun!

(Brian and erikthewise can be honorary “girls” )
Count me in too!
Kathy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #143
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Once Covid is contained, if my besties don’t get it together for a girls trip, we can plan a MO girls trip! I think there are enough of us to have fun!

(Brian and erikthewise can be honorary “girls” )

Whoohoo! I’ll be there, gladly.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #144
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Given this is a thread in the downsizing DVC sub forum, I'm not sure what you expect. This is for people who are downsizing or considering it. Not the happy owners.
The original question was "Have you downsized?" We have all answered that question and added a bit of information to our response.

Last edited by BEAM4DVC; 10-02-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #145
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

We will be after our Feb trip. We will be selling the first contract we bought, 350 BWV . We have about a double on price, many great memories, and will still have 460 BRV points . We are also closing on a condo on the gulf next week so...
Points may end up being for our kids and someday grandkids.
We were planning on renting out our BWV pts until... this year happened.

It’s changed a lot over the years.

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2021**
**Boardwalk and AKV Feb. 2021**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF & Poly
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:07 PM   #146
Disnydad
Two Bedroom

Smile

Let's see. Back in 2010 we had 585 points spread between VWL and OKW. In the fall of 2010 we bought a pre retirement Florida home (not retired, but the prices were so low after the 2008 crash) and started selling off contracts. We had a bunch of small contracts which were very easy to sell, like within days of listing and even sold some for more that we paid of them. We've been at 210 OKW points for a few years and that seems to work just fine. Although with Covid 19 I have quite a few banked. We now live full time 35-45 minutes from WDW but have not been there for 10 months now.

Too many WDW visits to count now that I live nearby. 1 DL trip & 5 Disney Cruises.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #147
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheboardwalk View Post
We will be after our Feb trip. We will be selling the first contract we bought, 350 BWV . We have about a double on price, many great memories, and will still have 460 BRV points . We are also closing on a condo on the gulf next week so...
Points may end up being for our kids and someday grandkids.
We were planning on renting out our BWV pts until... this year happened.

It’s changed a lot over the years.
This is a common story right now, and one that I think will unfold for many. A large population counted on the rental market as a primary means of managing and paying for points, and many others use the rental market as a back-up to recoup costs from large ownership shares that go unused. Those of us with smaller point counts haven't been impacted, this year, nearly as much as many others have. I suspect the average point total for DVC owners is likely to be much lower, in 2022, than it was in 2019.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #148
zulaya
Grand Villa

We started with 210 BCV as our initial.
Added on 100 BCV pretty fast.
My one wish that BCV had was for GVs so I could have the 11 month window.
So we bought 120 at AKV to try for a GV every 3rd year.

We've stayed in a GV exactly 1 night pre-cruise.

Otherwise we used AKV as "extra" points for "short notice" trips (aka at the 7 month window).

We closed on the sale of the AKV points last week.
With all the extras we had to bank into 2021, plus the changes from COVID, a new wish to expand travel destination options, and the bonus of reducing our dues, it was time.

We're keeping BCV and will probably migrate to once per year vs 2-3 times per year.

DVC Member since 2002.

Next trip: Hopefully 2021
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #149
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Not at all. We bought 150 more points when the pandemic started. I'd probably add more if the price was right. Right now, we have enough to go annually, alternating between a 2BR and a studio, for a week during most of the winter school breaks - we could go during the summer as well, but we have zero interest in being in Florida in the summer.

My issue, and I'd probably say my wife would agree, is that I'm mostly interested in BCV due to its size and location. I like walking to two parks, and going into the world showcase at night after the day park to walk around, maybe have dinner or a snack, and see the fireworks, is something of a regular thing. Coupled with a smaller resort, it feels like a theme park vacation and more like a clean little city with lots of things to go do (partially true, but the illusion of not being in the center of disney madness is what unplugs me). And now that HS and Epcot are getting serious investment, all the better.

The problem is, I'll be 60 in 2042 - I'm presently operating under the assumption that we'll still like going then, and if not, our daughter will be 30 and would appreciate the contract. Basically, we're right in the age range in both generations that needs to deal with the 2042 problem. If BCV continues to trade at a premium, I'd like to think of a later-expiring resort to buy into, but every time we do, we decide we're really not interested. We have 20 years to figure this out, of course, but we're not downsizing and likely net-buyers over time.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #150
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

We have thought about downsizing but the kids want the points. Instead of spending money in Disney this summer we spent it on the house. The kids missed going as did DH. So as soon as the kids are finished with school I will add them to all of our contracts. Now our plan is to spend a couple months there when we retire- 14 more years to go for that so that is all God willing.