home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
Rozzie
Grand Villa

Ha! I am chuckling remembering one year I had finally had enough points and availability for a 1BR BWV. DH's work canceled his vacation at the last minute--like 6 days before. I went without him and had a great time...He was happy I went. Why both of us be miserable?
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #22
mikayla73
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I have never made a solo trip without Robin. But saying that, its not that I would not.....the opportunity has never come up. Neither one of us would have a problem if either of us went to WDW solo.

I say go and have fun. No one in a relationship should ever have an issue with their partner going to Disney solo. If they do, there are some real serious issues that need to be addressed.......and I say run.
mikayla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #23
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Asking that question on this website is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if they would drink by themselves if there was a bottle of whiskey sitting next to them.

So basically, you know what the answer is...you were just looking for the most sympathetic group possible to help assuage your guilt?
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #24
cw62803
One Bedroom

Have fun. If your significant other loves you, he or she will want you to have a good time. My wife is going to WDW in February without me, and I am happy for her.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravena View Post
Hey, all! A Disney + relationship dilemma: I'm visiting Orlando for work without my significant other, and I'm debating whether I stop by a park (the after hours event at MK sounds perfect). I know my partner will be disappointed I'm disneying without him, even if he says I should go and have a good time.

He's never been to WDW (though he grew up close to DL). I've been to WDW three times. We visit DL a couple times/year. I have been to parks alone and loved it, so going solo is no problem at all.

If you were spending three days with free time alone in Orlando, would you visit a park or two without your partner? How would your significant others feel? I'm from Washington state, so it feels impossible to turn down WDW while in Orlando ... is it selfish to visit knowing my SO is sitting on the couch at home?

Alternatives to a park: dinner at nice Disney restaurant, visiting Disney Springs, strolling the boardwalk ...

Thanks for the input!
I am not sure what you is holding you. I love my wife dearly, but if she was in Orlando I would EXPECT her to visit and bring me back some goodies.

This forum is full of enablers and virtually everyone in here would expect their significant other to go if they were there on business or otherwise.

If possible, you should have him go with you. I have done that many a business trip. The room and my airfare are covered, so we will buy her a ticket and off we go. New York, Chicago, DC, wherever work takes me.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I would never want to go without mrs. brp on purpose- would never plan such a thing. But, on a work trip, I would definitely go...and that's what she'd want.

A few years back, I had a conference at Disneyland. As part of the Program Committee we got free tickets (I would never pay for DL parks) and went. Wasn't as much fun without her, but it was still OK.

Cheers.
As always, well stated. but each relationship knows it's boundaries. My wife makes trips without me, and I am happy she can go. If however, it was a place we both really wanted to go the common decorum would be to go together.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #27
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by debabe View Post
Your company is probably paying for the hotel and your airfare, so why not a mini-vacation for partner and bring him along?
Wife always tries to get me to go with on her various conferences..."It'll be free!" is what she's thinking. Well....realistically, the list of extras we would have to pay for gets long: Me taking off work; boarding the dog for a week; second plane ticket; all my food; a rental car; anything I want to do for fun while she's at the conference. It adds up fast! And if it's near Disney, throw in park tickets for both of us, and several more days of hotel because of course she'd want to stay extra days. Suddenly I say, "It'll cost us two grand for me to come with, for five days, and you'll be working the whole time anyway."
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #28
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Ok. Didn't read all the responses.

My wife is not a wdw fan.

I have done 6 trips without her since 2016.
I have no issues going without her.. she is free to come. But she isn't interested. Same for a cruise. She will not go on one. So I will without here. She like going to Nantucket.....borfest for me .so she goes with her friends.

I go alone for overnight trips. Some 4 nights and some 6-7 nights. I'll go with my sister or niece and nephew.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #29
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Asking that question on this website is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if they would drink by themselves if there was a bottle of whiskey sitting next to them.

Go!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #30
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Wife always tries to get me to go with on her various conferences..."It'll be free!" is what she's thinking. Well....realistically, the list of extras we would have to pay for gets long: Me taking off work; boarding the dog for a week; second plane ticket; all my food; a rental car; anything I want to do for fun while she's at the conference. It adds up fast! And if it's near Disney, throw in park tickets for both of us, and several more days of hotel because of course she'd want to stay extra days. Suddenly I say, "It'll cost us two grand for me to come with, for five days, and you'll be working the whole time anyway."
I doubt your wife thinks it is free; she just thinks it is cheaper than footing the entire bill. Point about being alone a great deal is the biggest drawback. We always time our work/pleasure visits. I will have 1-3 days of work and then we hit the the weekend and may use a couple days of vacation extra. Not about free, it is about getting some time together discounted.

She doesn't get a ton of vacation during the school year, so we only plan during the summer when she is off (she is a teacher).

Your vacation balance can really play into that though. So clearly those types of plans don't work for everyone.

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 08-25-2018 at 08:12 PM.