home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #121
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
My daughter invited her Ďfriendí, a young man, to come with us to WDW. He didnít have the money for tickets, so I spent a long time planning activities and spending money to make sure that the visit went well. We got Moonlight Magic for EPCOT so that he could see a park, reserved DVC bowling, etc.

Apparently he got another invitation to go somewhere else next week. He cancelled after he had assured us that he would go with us to WDW. I have a thing about living up to commitments.

I am annoyed. I can get my money back, but not my planning time. My daughter says that I have no right to be annoyed and that it is fine for him to go where he wants. I say that it will be a cold day in hell......before he is invited again.

Things are a bit frosty around here which doesnít bode well for our trip. It is too late for us to cancel without the points going into holding.
That is highly annoying and I would be upset too. It's not like something came up which caused him not to go anywhere at all. Or at least not with others who are not his own family. Just going in with another invitation somewhere else is really rude.

Just remember these are teenagers, and if it is causing frostiness in the house, I would probably just not mention it for a while. Maybe sometime later after the trip you can talk about it again and discuss why it was a bigger deal than she was making it out to be. Another thing and I don't know if this is true or not, maybe she's being defensive in a way because she is hurt that he decided not to go with her too. Just a thought. No matter what hope you have a fantastic trip and that everything comes up sunny and happy for you all.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #122
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
My daughter invited her Ďfriendí, a young man, to come with us to WDW. He didnít have the money for tickets, so I spent a long time planning activities and spending money to make sure that the visit went well. We got Moonlight Magic for EPCOT so that he could see a park, reserved DVC bowling, etc.

Apparently he got another invitation to go somewhere else next week. He cancelled after he had assured us that he would go with us to WDW. I have a thing about living up to commitments.

I am annoyed. I can get my money back, but not my planning time. My daughter says that I have no right to be annoyed and that it is fine for him to go where he wants. I say that it will be a cold day in hell......before he is invited again.

Things are a bit frosty around here which doesnít bode well for our trip. It is too late for us to cancel without the points going into holding.
You are right to be annoyed. My guess would be the friend was overwhelmed realizing he was going to a new, expensive place and felt, regardless of your efforts, that he wouldn't fit so rather than take the risk that he could possibly be wrong, he bailed for a 'safer' vacation. Think your DD realizes this on some level but she's learned from her mother than friendship is also a commitment so she's supporting his decision.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #123
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
That is highly annoying and I would be upset too. It's not like something came up which caused him not to go anywhere at all. Or at least not with others who are not his own family. Just going in with another invitation somewhere else is really rude.

Just remember these are teenagers, and if it is causing frostiness in the house, I would probably just not mention it for a while. Maybe sometime later after the trip you can talk about it again and discuss why it was a bigger deal than she was making it out to be. Another thing and I don't know if this is true or not, maybe she's being defensive in a way because she is hurt that he decided not to go with her too. Just a thought. No matter what hope you have a fantastic trip and that everything comes up sunny and happy for you all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
You are right to be annoyed. My guess would be the friend was overwhelmed realizing he was going to a new, expensive place and felt, regardless of your efforts, that he wouldn't fit so rather than take the risk that he could possibly be wrong, he bailed for a 'safer' vacation. Think your DD realizes this on some level but she's learned from her mother than friendship is also a commitment so she's supporting his decision.
Y'all are amazing. I always struggle with trying to see possibilities like this in other peoples actions. Even if I can come up with these types of scenarios, I would still have been awfully annoyed. The logic of teenagers, though... kind of fits these explanations.

I can (barely) remember struggling with thoughts like these as a teenager.
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #124
ajc
Grand Villa

No good deed goes unpunished.
I agree with your point of "cold day in hell..."
The younger set does not appreciate all that we do from which they benefit but jumping ship for a "better offer" is just wrong.
Enjoy your trip and look at it from a perspective of less people= less drama.
Pool Bar are my 2 favorite vacation words.
ENJOY!
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #125
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

I think that you have every right to be annoyed... I'd be pissed!
It sounds like you changed your regular style of vacation to accommodate this young man too. Obviously there's nothing you can do about it now but try to make the best of it.
It seems to me that he is one of the Less brothers.... thought and care.
I'm with you about it being a cold day...
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #126
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Iíd be pissed off, thatís for sure. Perhaps tell your daughter he already chose something else over spending time with her when you made every effort to accommodate him. Doesnít exactly bode well for the future when things donít flow so smoothly... If she canít see that then definitely enjoy your pool bar time and take care of your own happiness.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #127
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post

I'd agree. So annoying but they are teenagers. I don't know what the "friend" relationship was/is but perhaps they both were kind of questioning the trip and that's why your daughter isn't also highly annoyed? Anyway, no more invites for him until they at least hit a 5th year anniversary. Maybe 10th. So Crafty is probably covered for ever going thru that again.

It also could be a blessing in disguise. If he changed the trip so close to it there's a good chance it wouldn't have gone well and just been a miserable time. It obviously wasn't top of the heap for choices.