home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #21
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
OOPS! Sorry for the confusion - I meant "Never Mind."
I can totally see why you thought I meant "New Mexico."
Hopefully everything will be open soon to everyone. Have a wonderful trip!
Once I reread your post, I realized that's what you had to mean! Fortunately, most of what we want to do is open. My only concern is food in the Grand Canyon since two of the casual restaurants are closed and I don't really want to eat in the El Tovar dining room more than once. It will work out.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #22
MinnieSueB
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Once I reread your post, I realized that's what you had to mean! Fortunately, most of what we want to do is open. My only concern is food in the Grand Canyon since two of the casual restaurants are closed and I don't really want to eat in the El Tovar dining room more than once. It will work out.

Dirk
I believe we grabbed something quick while at GC & drove back to Sedona where we stayed during part of our trip. I recommend Cucina Rustica restaurant in Sedona but unfortunately they are temporarily closed due to the labor shortage, but hopefully will be open soon. We loved hiking Bell Rock in Sedona. It's a relatively easy hike with beautiful views. Enjoy!
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #23
MinnieSueB
Two Bedroom

Another outing we enjoyed was the Verde Canyon Railroad in Clarkdale just outside Sedona. I just received an email from them & that jarred my memory.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #24
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Sounds like a great trip.

I would humbly suggest that an hour or two inside at Petrified Forest NP, especially in the heat of summer, will give you all that you may want to see of the place. It will be even more underwhelming coming off of Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

While it would add about 3 1/2 more hours of driving time, but what about hitting Mesa Verde NP, instead of Petrified Forest, en route to Santa Fe? That is a place more than worthy of the effort.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 AM   #25
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
But its dry heat.....much better then Florida wet heat.

Bullshit. Never accepted that argument (which as I’m typing I realize of course you already have heard from me, ha, but continuing anyway). Perhaps a touch more tolerable, but it’s still heat. I’ve been to Vegas. It’s still shit.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #26
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Bullshit. Never accepted that argument (which as Iím typing I realize of course you already have heard from me, ha, but continuing anyway). Perhaps a touch more tolerable, but itís still heat. Iíve been to Vegas. Itís still shit.
Exactly. Dry heat really does suck too.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #27
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post

I would humbly suggest that an hour or two inside at Petrified Forest NP, especially in the heat of summer, will give you all that you may want to see of the place. It will be even more underwhelming coming off of Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

While it would add about 3 1/2 more hours of driving time, but what about hitting Mesa Verde NP, instead of Petrified Forest, en route to Santa Fe? That is a place more than worthy of the effort.
Petrified Forest is definitely worth seeing, as is the accompanying Painted Desert.
Mesa Verde is also a recommended scene, if it's open.

I mentioned The Great Sand Dunes in Colorado (https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm) in a previous thread. If you went to Mesa Verde, you could incorporate this in your drive to or from Santa Fe as well.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to your report, as you always include a host of terrific pictures!*

*No pressure.... well, maybe just a little.....
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post

We love Mesa Verde and stayed in the park in 2002. It's a place I would put on a Colorado itinerary for sure because we would love to go back.

I'm beginning to think you're right about Petrified Forest. Could be looking for other routes or stops to get to Santa Fe, or other things to do between off I-40 on the way to Santa Fe. Maybe we do stop in Holbrook for one night, and then move on to Albuquerque through the Petrified Forest to make sure we have time for the Petroglyphs in Albuquerque. Hmm.

Great thing about a non-Disney trip is that I can sort this out on the fly!

Dirk

Old 06-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
Another outing we enjoyed was the Verde Canyon Railroad in Clarkdale just outside Sedona. I just received an email from them & that jarred my memory.
I love trains and have noticed there are several scenic routes in the area. Definitely on a list for the future if we don't do it this trip! Thanks for the tip.

Dirk

Old 06-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Bullshit. Never accepted that argument (which as Iím typing I realize of course you already have heard from me, ha, but continuing anyway). Perhaps a touch more tolerable, but itís still heat. Iíve been to Vegas. Itís still shit.
I actually found "it's a dry heat" to be true until we hit 118 in Vegas and my contact lenses dried out in my eyeballs.

However, I wasn't sweaty.

Honestly, most of the trip will be in the high '80s because of the elevation. We're not hiking into the Grand Canyon, where it really gets hot, and even in Sedona it gets cool at night. Combined with low humidity, it could be fairly comfortable most of the time. Definitely bright and dry, though.

Dirk