home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #81
carolina_yankee
Administrator

We have a friend who will not enter the park with less than a change of clothes, change of shoes, Shout wipes, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, ponchos, extra glasses, tech gear, etc.

It's mind boggling, but she keeps it to one backpack.

And we were mighty grateful for the Shout wipes after one particularly messy dinner.

She used to be a Kindergarten teacher and says old habits die hard.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #82
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I am sorry we had some misunderstandings above, but glad in the end even if we don't entirely agree we can at least be nice about it
I am sorry as well. Water under the bridge as they say I enjoy reading differing opinions on here. Different perspectives are a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post

Or people with the dining plan trying to figure out what their credits are, what's included in their meals, and upon findiing out that each meal comes with a dessert send their four kids over to the dessert case to decide...all while standing at the cash register holding up the line.

Personally, having a lot of experience with both WDW and the DLR, I find the process at WDW is slower. My guess is this is due to the difference between DLR guests being made of up of a lot of locals who don't pack for the day like sherpas trekking the Andes and visit more often so they are more familiar with the drill. And mainly non-locals at WDW who just seem to be slower overall, which means getting through the security check takes longer. I guess I'm trying to say it's not just the speed of the security people, it's the speed of the guests too.
Yes, when I see people calculating their dining credits, it reminds me how thankful I am to not be on a plan

What you say about bag check at WDW vs DLR actually makes a lot of sense. And also I wonder if onsite guests bring less since it's not as spread out, and you can actually walk into the one park from a resort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Or the family that get up to the Magic Band/Finger Scan at the park entrance and just as they reach the turnstile, then they decide to look for their park ticket/magic band. Of that offsite family that tries to use the Annual Pass entrance and their cards don't work holding up the line (again).
Oh my gosh, yes. It's not like they don't know they are going into the park and will need their ticket

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #83
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
So true!

We just got back Sunday from nine nights in WDW. Some of the stuff people take to the parks is mind blowing. One woman in a scooter had EIGHT bags with her! Everyone of those bags had to be checked. And when I write bags, I do not mean shopping bags with stuff she bought at another park. These were personal bags full of personal items.

Holy !!!!!!

Seriously too much stuff people! They really could limit to an average diaper bag and likely be just fine. I am always baffled at those who walk around like a sherpa carrying everything. I get it if you need things for kids or medical reasons, but like the wagon strollers, some things are just kind of out of hand!

I get if you might need smaller bags to lift, but I see day packs that people would take hiking in the parks and I do not get it. This is as a parent who took infants or potty training kids even at times.

Part of all of this is why we go without bags. Wasn't easy to find a way when not all of your clothing has pockets but I finally did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
I am sorry as well. Water under the bridge as they say I enjoy reading differing opinions on here. Different perspectives are a good thing.
Text can be difficult, so no worries here on my end!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #84
duffybear32830
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
BW and BCV resale are priced so high that you should do the math on Riviera and see if it works for you. If you can't beat em, join em.
Yes, we took a DVC tour of the Riviera when we were there last weekend. Sounds like a nice place but just not sure what to do -- I would be interested in 1 bedroom villas at first but they are price kind of high in points terms.

I do think the International Gateway entrance will be fine though after seeing the updates they are doing there.

I have actually been evacuated from a chairlift before .... on a board attached to a rope ... after over 3 hours ... so I'm not afraid of the skyliner even after that experience!
duffybear32830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #85
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffybear32830 View Post
Yes, we took a DVC tour of the Riviera when we were there last weekend. Sounds like a nice place but just not sure what to do -- I would be interested in 1 bedroom villas at first but they are price kind of high in points terms.

I do think the International Gateway entrance will be fine though after seeing the updates they are doing there.

I have actually been evacuated from a chairlift before .... on a board attached to a rope ... after over 3 hours ... so I'm not afraid of the skyliner even after that experience!
If chartpocalype returns in some form I expect 1br costs to rise at other resorts as well
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #86
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

I'm going to bookmark this thread for when people ask, "You are at Disney... why are you hanging out at the pool bar instead of going to a park?"
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #87
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffybear32830 View Post
Confused... isn't that why you should be afraid?
I guess at least you know it's not fatal.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #88
duffybear32830
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Confused... isn't that why you should be afraid?
I guess at least you know it's not fatal.
Haha, I guess I've been skiing enough I understand the whole process. I guess plenty of Disney nay-sayers have never been on a real gondola. Although I've never seen an ECV on a ski lift so I don't quite get that.

Ya know, the worst part about being stuck on a chairlift for 3.5 hours isn't the cold weather but not having a bathroom for that amount of time. 23 year old me was ok with that, but 40 something me might not be!
duffybear32830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #89
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
Yes, when I see people calculating their dining credits, it reminds me how thankful I am to not be on a plan

What you say about bag check at WDW vs DLR actually makes a lot of sense. And also I wonder if onsite guests bring less since it's not as spread out, and you can actually walk into the one park from a resort?
I think a lot of it is locals who came from home and go home at the end of the day. For locals i's an outing for the day-like going to the mall. I was surprised by how many guests carry regular everyday purses and wear street shoes vs. athletic shoes and backpacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
I'm going to bookmark this thread for when people ask, "You are at Disney... why are you hanging out at the pool bar instead of going to a park?"

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote