home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
BobbyBond2
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default CCV / Airline Check In Service Gratuity

Hello All!

Just got back from a wonderful week at WDW and our first "official" stay in our Home Resort at CCV's Deluxe Studio; first I was extremely impressed about the resort as a whole. This was my first time staying at a Disney "Deluxe" resort and enjoyed it thoroughly. Also, the resort pool activities staff were great with my kids (5 & 8), they had so much fun they wanted to hang out at the pool longer then go to the parks! We had a great time and made many memories!

Now, before I gripe, I'm a true believer in gratuity for excellent service, I have no issues tipping, this includes bellman, delivery guys, etc. However, I was a little disappointed with the Airline Check-In. The gentleman that took our bags (3 total) was very pushy for a tip, in fact, his exact words were "Even though Magical Express is a Disney complimentary service, we are curbside check-in for the airport, and we should be tipped as such, so we make sure your bags get there. Usually, 5 to 10 dollars a bag," I gave him a $5 total, and the look he gave me was rather unsettling. I had every intention on tipping but felt "pushed" into more. I've always used a rule of thumb $1 or $2 per bag.

It felt as if I didn't tip him $15 or $30 my bags wouldn't have made it to the airport. Fortunately, everything did, but it didn't feel very "Disney" appropriate. Am I looking at this wrong or was I cheap with my tip for 3 bags 2 large and 1 small?

Upcoming:
August 2020

Done:
May 2019 - CCV (First Home Resort Trip!)
August 2018 - SSR (First Official DVC Trip!)
May 2018 - POP Century
May 2016 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
April 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2008 - Coronado Springs
April 2004 - All Star Music
BobbyBond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Lolaura84
Studio

Wow, I certainly would have been put off by that as well! I'm curious, did he initiate the topic? That is bold.
Lolaura84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Ransom
Grand Villa

Asking for a tip is gauche, but going on to suggest an amount is way beyond that.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I usually tip them, but only the standard $1 per bag.

Asking for a tip is too pushy. Asking for tips has become so common now. Its really gone too far on where I see the tip jars now.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

A few years ago I was pretty put off by the airlines putting a sign up at the outside bag drops that everyone should tip and how much. I think one indicated it was required if you were going to use that drop off or you could go inside for free. So it's not just the BAGS people at Disney.

I do the standard $1-2 per bag. $5-$10? Sad that some people will be convinced by that.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
hilaw
Grand Villa

Ask the bus drivers...

The only ones who suggest 5-10 per bag are bell service people.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBond2 View Post
Hello All!

Just got back from a wonderful week at WDW and our first "official" stay in our Home Resort at CCV's Deluxe Studio; first I was extremely impressed about the resort as a whole. This was my first time staying at a Disney "Deluxe" resort and enjoyed it thoroughly. Also, the resort pool activities staff were great with my kids (5 & 8), they had so much fun they wanted to hang out at the pool longer then go to the parks! We had a great time and made many memories!

Now, before I gripe, I'm a true believer in gratuity for excellent service, I have no issues tipping, this includes bellman, delivery guys, etc. However, I was a little disappointed with the Airline Check-In. The gentleman that took our bags (3 total) was very pushy for a tip, in fact, his exact words were "Even though Magical Express is a Disney complimentary service, we are curbside check-in for the airport, and we should be tipped as such, so we make sure your bags get there. Usually, 5 to 10 dollars a bag," I gave him a $5 total, and the look he gave me was rather unsettling. I had every intention on tipping but felt "pushed" into more. I've always used a rule of thumb $1 or $2 per bag.

It felt as if I didn't tip him $15 or $30 my bags wouldn't have made it to the airport. Fortunately, everything did, but it didn't feel very "Disney" appropriate. Am I looking at this wrong or was I cheap with my tip for 3 bags 2 large and 1 small?
LaGuardia ... Honolulu ...

Tipping is personal in my opinion .. I tend to do closer to the $5 per bag rate.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I also do the standard $1-2 per bag. I've never heard of tipping $5-10/bag and the thought of even insinuating that your bags might not make it there is brash! I know these people are not Disney employees, but I feel that Disney should hear about this.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Jay324
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
LaGuardia ... Honolulu ...

Tipping is personal in my opinion .. I tend to do closer to the $5 per bag rate.
I was thinking the same thing...great Seinfeld episode.

Now as for tipping I use curbside check in for bags every flight for I hate to be on line to check in at the counter. I usually tip $15 for 2 bags and $20 for 3 bags. If service is great I will give $20 for 2 bags. This is always the best $15 to $20 I spend at the airport for I really do hate airports and I am a nervous flyer (well I now take 2 xanax every flight so the nerves have somewhat gone away).

$5 for 3 bags at curbside check in seems a little low in my opinion but to each their own.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
pdude81
Grand Villa

I do always tip these people but definitely not $5 a bag. It's tough to figure out sometimes because you are checking bags you want to grab later before MDE as well as sending bags to the airport. I usually tip the person helping with airline bags at the point I send them for those bags, then tip whoever brings my carryons back later based on that number. Hard to put an exact price on it but probably more in the average of $3 per bag per type. And that's only if I bring the bags there myself. If I have bell services bring them down it makes it all the more confusing
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote