home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #31
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Since this is BAGS doing the extortion, er, tip begging, er, free service, I would contact Disney directly, not the resort GM. He or she has absolutely nothing to do with it. That person was told "we're coming into set up a place for outside contractors to collect bags and hand out boarding passes. Deal with it."

If this complimentary service is turning into something more (and now, in this thread, there are reports two egregious acts of extortion at two different resorts), then Disney itself needs to know. Use the guest relations email to voice the complaint and be specific with date, time and resort.

If it's a few individuals, Disney will come down hard on them and the others will fall into line. If it's a "new normal" Disney will address it with BAGS.

They won't want their guests being shaken down by anybody else but Mickey.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
MCHIANCA
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBond2 View Post
Hello All!

Just got back from a wonderful week at WDW and our first "official" stay in our Home Resort at CCV's Deluxe Studio; first I was extremely impressed about the resort as a whole. This was my first time staying at a Disney "Deluxe" resort and enjoyed it thoroughly. Also, the resort pool activities staff were great with my kids (5 & 8), they had so much fun they wanted to hang out at the pool longer then go to the parks! We had a great time and made many memories!

Now, before I gripe, I'm a true believer in gratuity for excellent service, I have no issues tipping, this includes bellman, delivery guys, etc. However, I was a little disappointed with the Airline Check-In. The gentleman that took our bags (3 total) was very pushy for a tip, in fact, his exact words were "Even though Magical Express is a Disney complimentary service, we are curbside check-in for the airport, and we should be tipped as such, so we make sure your bags get there. Usually, 5 to 10 dollars a bag," I gave him a $5 total, and the look he gave me was rather unsettling. I had every intention on tipping but felt "pushed" into more. I've always used a rule of thumb $1 or $2 per bag.

It felt as if I didn't tip him $15 or $30 my bags wouldn't have made it to the airport. Fortunately, everything did, but it didn't feel very "Disney" appropriate. Am I looking at this wrong or was I cheap with my tip for 3 bags 2 large and 1 small?
WOW! Cheap or what yes you should tip them at least 1 or 2 dollars a bag just like at airport
Think your cheap
MCHIANCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #33
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHIANCA View Post
WOW! Cheap or what yes you should tip them at least 1 or 2 dollars a bag just like at airport
Think your cheap
Unless my math is bad, the $5 is in your range.
Shouldn’t just give more just for boorish behavior.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #34
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHIANCA View Post
Think your cheap
I believe you misread something as they tipped $5 for 3 bags which fits within what is quite appropriate and within your computations too.

They just did not tip the $5-$10/bag that the BAGS person was conveying they should.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #35
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

We are also tip $1-$2 per bag, $5 minimum group.

There is no way I would pay $5 -$10 per bag. We would take our own bags instead. Suggesting tip amounts is rude, insinuating that the bags might not make it is totally unacceptable. I would have taken my luggage back and gone straight to find a manager to complain.

I hope guests who experience this do make sure Disney finds out about it.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #36
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
<snip>

They won't want their guests being shaken down by anybody else but Mickey.

Dirk

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #37
reblzmom
Grand Villa

That kind of behavior would really put me off. We usually would check only 2 bags and tip $5 - we hand it to them, they weigh it and lock it in a container. I don't think we need to go overboard there. But lately we just take our bags to ME with us if we have any to check.