home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #21
MinnieSueB
Grand Villa

So exciting!!!

I'll have my daughter look at your design. She is graduating this May with graphic design as a minor. She already has a job with Special Olympics as their global graphic designer. I'll PM you her thoughts.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Fantastic! Wow, you do have the best adventures. Can't wait to learn more & hopefully stay there too in the future. DH and I have a 30' Airstream.

Where I'm Going 2022:
Grand Californian - Sunday, January 2 - Friday, January 7, 2022
Aulani - Friday, January 7 - Sunday, January 16, 2022
Hilton Head - Thursday, June 30 - Friday, July 15, 2022
Beach Club - Sunday, July 31 - Tuesday, August 9, 2022
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #23
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Wow - it all sounds so exciting!!!! I like the first sign too.

Good luck. Enjoying following the progress you are making.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #24
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
So exciting!!!

I'll have my daughter look at your design. She is graduating this May with graphic design as a minor. She already has a job with Special Olympics as their global graphic designer. I'll PM you her thoughts.
Not to threadjack but wow! That sounds like a great new adventure for your daughter too. Congrats to her!
Old 02-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #25
MinnieSueB
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Not to threadjack but wow! That sounds like a great new adventure for your daughter too. Congrats to her!
Thanks so much! She has earned it! My DH & I thought she was crazy to intern with Special Olympics this summer unpaid when she already had another great internship that was paid! They kept her on when she went back to college in the fall & started to pay her & have offered her a job.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #26
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I am so excited for you!!!!
Old 02-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #27
melk
Grand Villa

Very exciting, things are really moving along for you! Iíll be the dissenting voice here and cast my vote for the second graphic, lol. I liked the softer edges.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #28
babysimba
Grand Villa

Wow! What an exciting journey! We are a camping family and if I can get my husand out of the White Mountains and/or coastal Maine, we would love to try out your campground! It sounds like you are building more of a camping resort as opposed to a campground. IMO, there are 3 layers of campers. You have folks like my husband, whose idea of camping is on the AT trail, sleeping in a tree hammock. That is NOT for me. Then, you have campers like myself, who are looking for a peaceful, quiet, lots of trees, nature filled type of place, BUT, I need running water and electricity. I also want a water source for swimming (pool/river/lake is ok). Then, you have what we call, the "city campers", the people that love the bustle, golf carts flying everywhere, campers/cabins on top of each other, and lots of amenities. The city campers love/need to be entertained every minute. "Glampers" to me, can love all the above,they are the people that can be in the middle of the White Mountains in their 100k RV or in a camping resort sleeping in a $300 per night in a cabin with full bathroom.

If you can carve out a spot in your campground that satisfies all types of campers, that would be an amazing place.

Also, one pet peeve my camping family and friends have... there are never enough hooks/shelves in shower stalls. It is so gross having to put your toiletries on the floor. Yuck. It is also helpful to have at least 3 hooks- one for towel, one for dirty clothes and one for clean clothes. If there is a little bench/stool in the shower stalls, that is always a bonus

Can't wait to follow along! Can't wait to see the end result.

Ps love the green logo
Old 02-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #29
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Hey everybody - time for an update. Apologies up front for the too large images. PhotoBucket is a pain, but is where I have most images stored right now.

Thanks for following along! Yes, we are chasing dreams. It is exciting when it is not terrifying. Mostly, it is both at the same time plus a lot of hard work.

So, we have been very active recently. First, we are under contract to purchase 85 acres near Hartsville, SC for the campground. We close on Monday, Feb 14. DH and I joke that this will be the largest Valentine's gift of our lives. It is an unusual shape, somewhat like a giant E. This works well, as we can build our home on the bottom of the E with private driveway, the main entry in the middle and the top of the E is great for hiking/trails but not much else. Here is an image of the property outline. It is a ton of land - we've visited it many times now & only walked maybe 25%-30% of it so far.

I am in discussions with city hall regarding zoning and permitting. Clearly, they want us to succeed. Equally clearly, there is going to be red tape. So while that is going well, it is going to take some time.

Our campground consultants are also under contract with us. They will complete a feasibility study and design the campground. They visited the property with me last week after giving us feedback on it before we made the initial offer. The property itself will be our greatest advantage and our greatest challenge. 85 acres means we can create an amazing park, filled with the amenities and activities that I want. 85 acres out in the country means we will be 30 minutes from I-20 and 30 minutes from I-95. We have to be a destination that families will want to visit as a stand alone park.

Speaking of professionals, we are building our team. So far, we have:
  • an accountant who specializes in campgrounds,
  • a local attorney,
  • the local small business consultant,
  • a VP at a local bank,
  • my Dad & brother &
  • our campground consultants.

Then there's the soil study consultants, the boundary and topo survey experts, the well diggers, the residential home designer for our new house and finding a general contractor to oversee everything and I'm certain there are others I am forgetting because I am not looking at my business plan while I type this.

On the social media side, I've got a website held and a draft logo. Here are two slightly different versions of the draft logo. What do you think? All feedback welcome, as I plan to put this up on FIVER to get some people who are better at graphic design than I am to refine the image & set up the website. I like the design, but think it may be too complex for a logo that needs to be able to shrink down to letterhead and blow up to giant signs with no loss of visibility/quality.

There will be lots more to come as we keep chasing this dream.
As someone who works on stuff for websites, the first one to me is the better design but I feel the font color is harder to read. The second is more simple and less camp feeling but easy to read due to color contrast. So I'd work on the contrast for the font color and use the first otherwise. Or maybe shadow the color so it stands out more... something because the colors blend too much IMO.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #30
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

First and foremost, congratulations on these next steps. I'm looking forward to continuing to follow you on this journey. How exciting! I honestly hope to have the opportunity to stay overnight sometime.

Second, as a decade+ RV owner, I'm going to offer a different perspective on the logo. I agree with many that the first is more interesting and would print better on gear. That said - and I say this with heartfelt appreciation and hope for your efforts - it also strikes me as outdated. One of the things that will cause me to pass over a potential campground is a website or online presence that doesn't look fresh and new. An older or underwhelming looking logo/website suggests, to me, that the campground could follow suit. Something that looks up to date and modern will give me the impression that the campground itself has received a similar degree of attentiveness.

We did a similar thing for our church a few years back and it was not expensive to have a designer work with us to create a logo. The first logo has some good framework, but I think it could be cleaned up and updated to more contemporary theming with better color contrasts. Perhaps someone could use the first as a basis to create something more up-to-date and eye-catching without costing a lot of money.

Just food for thought from someone who spends far too much time looking at campground websites!