home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #11
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy seeing how things are developed from the idea forward....and you definitely had/have a plan.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #12
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.
In my younger years camping was the only way we could afford to travel.
It’s been a long time since I camped though.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #13
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

My kids are campers and live in your area as I said on your other thread.

I’ll recommend this to them for a future stay perhaps.

Congrats and Good Luck.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you the best in this new chapter!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #15
oufpat
Two Bedroom

In this crazy world, it's so nice to see someone following their dreams!
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:38 PM   #16
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Following along on your journey!

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #17
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Hey everybody - time for an update. Apologies up front for the too large images. PhotoBucket is a pain, but is where I have most images stored right now.

Thanks for following along! Yes, we are chasing dreams. It is exciting when it is not terrifying. Mostly, it is both at the same time plus a lot of hard work.

So, we have been very active recently. First, we are under contract to purchase 85 acres near Hartsville, SC for the campground. We close on Monday, Feb 14. DH and I joke that this will be the largest Valentine's gift of our lives. It is an unusual shape, somewhat like a giant E. This works well, as we can build our home on the bottom of the E with private driveway, the main entry in the middle and the top of the E is great for hiking/trails but not much else. Here is an image of the property outline. It is a ton of land - we've visited it many times now & only walked maybe 25%-30% of it so far.

I am in discussions with city hall regarding zoning and permitting. Clearly, they want us to succeed. Equally clearly, there is going to be red tape. So while that is going well, it is going to take some time.

Our campground consultants are also under contract with us. They will complete a feasibility study and design the campground. They visited the property with me last week after giving us feedback on it before we made the initial offer. The property itself will be our greatest advantage and our greatest challenge. 85 acres means we can create an amazing park, filled with the amenities and activities that I want. 85 acres out in the country means we will be 30 minutes from I-20 and 30 minutes from I-95. We have to be a destination that families will want to visit as a stand alone park.

Speaking of professionals, we are building our team. So far, we have:
  • an accountant who specializes in campgrounds,
  • a local attorney,
  • the local small business consultant,
  • a VP at a local bank,
  • my Dad & brother &
  • our campground consultants.

Then there's the soil study consultants, the boundary and topo survey experts, the well diggers, the residential home designer for our new house and finding a general contractor to oversee everything and I'm certain there are others I am forgetting because I am not looking at my business plan while I type this.

On the social media side, I've got a website held and a draft logo. Here are two slightly different versions of the draft logo. What do you think? All feedback welcome, as I plan to put this up on FIVER to get some people who are better at graphic design than I am to refine the image & set up the website. I like the design, but think it may be too complex for a logo that needs to be able to shrink down to letterhead and blow up to giant signs with no loss of visibility/quality.

There will be lots more to come as we keep chasing this dream.

Last edited by MinnieMomofOne; 02-08-2022 at 04:12 PM.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #18
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Really like the first one (green). It pops and gives me a “friendly” feel.
Really appreciate you keeping us updated on your adventure. Love seeing how the process goes.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #19
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Wow, pretty exciting. Like the logos. Like the area too. I am fond of SC. But I am in the 'camp' with Brian and my idea of camping is a Holiday Inn. Camped as a kid when a girl scout and hated it. I could do an RV probably but could not stand to be in one with DH for very long (we'd kill each other, LOL). But many folks love camping or glamping even (will you put up permanent structures like yurts or platform tents?).

Best of luck and happy Valentine's Day!!!!

(oh, and, can you believe some of the owners in RP think they can sell for $330?)

Owners since 2006- BWV, CCV & AKV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #20
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks! I like the green one as well. I think that might really look good on black tee shirts or hats or other items in the camp store or for polo shirts for staff.

No worries for the non-campers! We will have deluxe cabins available for you! Take your rental golf cart from your private cabin up to the pool bar & grill to enjoy the view. Give me enough time & there will be an on-site spa...maybe a mini-bowling alley, lazy river, small theater...lots of possibilities.

Looking further ahead, there is the possibility of creating cute tiny houses with 50 year leases for a vacation village. There is land enough to support a number of options over time. DH is a builder; I anticipate we will have some cool buildings on the property. Here are some examples of what is fairly easily possible: https://www.pinuphouses.com/

Laura, I'm with you. $275+ is a great price for those Regal Palms units right now. Sure, it might keep going up. But it might not, so who knows? Real estate is always a gamble. I'd put more stock in what that one owner shared if he was listing his unit. He is not; he simply wants others to take the risk so his property value looks higher. That is a form of selfishness that I dislike.

I am very much looking forward to April 1. That's my last day at my old company. Then I can focus 100% on the campground.