home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Get the list of all the items at all the booths and see what you would be interested in. When you get there, they have little passports that list the items that you can write in to mark them.

Try to avoid weekends, even nights during the week are better than any time on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

We stopped getting the little wrist band gift cards last year. MBs are just easier. They don't require a signature like a card does. I use my Disney Reward redemption dollars to pay the balance on my account after we use the MBs.

And my biggest tip is to get one of those handy little trays with the cup holder in them. It's the best $7 you'll spend there because it allows you to eat while standing or walking. Otherwise, both hands are usually full, and you end up having to search out a trash can to put something down on while you stand and eat. Trust me, get the tray.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #22
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

We are heading to our first F&W trip in a few weeks. We are planning on two lunches and one dinner for sampling, all mid-week.

We are pretty adventurous so we'll be scouting out options we aren't likely to encounter somewhere in San Francisco.

Everything will go on the magic band. I'll worry about the bill later. I'm on vacation.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
Mufasa3307
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Do you plan for a certain number of days? Hit every third booth over each of 3 days maybe? Go one way one day and the other way the other day? Preplan what you want to eat before you get there and head to those booths? Totally wing it and just wander until you're hungry, eat, then keep wandering until you're hungry again? Set a total budget and stop when you reach your budget? Pay no attention to money until you run out? After 6 years, we're wondering now if there's a better way.
My family just got home from our trip Saturday (waaaaah!!), and we hit the F&W up on opening day, Friday. The crowds were actually not that bad, and lines were maybe 10 minutes, at most. Here are my tips:

1. They have a booklet that lists out each booth and what they are serving. Pictures are included for some items! Peruse that at your leisure, but at least its a starting point.

2. WHEN BOOZING - especially the vino - always get the F&W option! Its served in the same size cups as the vino at all of the countries, and its literally 1/2 to 1/3 of the price. (the nice people working the American booth gave me this tip!!) ie: The Chardonnay at the American F&W booth was $3.75, while a Pinot Grigio from the actual quick serve Italian place was $9.

3. I like your idea of going 1 way 1 day and the other way another day - there were definitely items I wanted to try but had no room left for!

DH , DW , DS (7), DS (5), DS (18 months)

OKW (2011), HHI (2013), BWV (1/2015), BLT/SSR (9/2015), BWV (8/2016), AKV (1/2017), CCV (3/2019)
Mufasa3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #24
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Get the list of all the items at all the booths and see what you would be interested in. When you get there, they have little passports that list the items that you can write in to mark them.

Try to avoid weekends, even nights during the week are better than any time on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

We stopped getting the little wrist band gift cards last year. MBs are just easier. They don't require a signature like a card does. I use my Disney Reward redemption dollars to pay the balance on my account after we use the MBs.

And my biggest tip is to get one of those handy little trays with the cup holder in them. It's the best $7 you'll spend there because it allows you to eat while standing or walking. Otherwise, both hands are usually full, and you end up having to search out a trash can to put something down on while you stand and eat. Trust me, get the tray.

Definitely getting a tray per day/visit this trip, no question. Always my biggest obstacle is juggling my selections, and especially since I'm usually solo no guarantee of finding/saving a nearby table and/or garbage can to balance.

Worst part is I've read this advice before and forgotten to follow it. Not this year.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #25
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I've found lunch time on the weekends to be not bad at all. We're only ever there on a Monday night for weekdays, and I have not tried that (and we have an ADR somewhere for the coming trip), but it could be worth looking at Monday evening in the future.

Definitely agree on the MBs. No need to fill up cards and deal with them. All on the band and one bill at the end. Couldn't be simpler.

The Magic Band is much like the One Ring

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Cheers.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #26
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Definitely getting a tray per day/visit this trip, no question. Always my biggest obstacle is juggling my selections, and especially since I'm usually solo no guarantee of finding/saving a nearby table and/or garbage can to balance.

Hmmm .......was wondering about this one, so I checked into it just in case anyone else was in the dark about the F&W "trays" .
Nice idea, we may have to try them this year ..............sure beats eating on a garbage can !
Only $5.95 ..........not bad .

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #27
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Carry a backup payment plan. Last Spring during Flower and Garden the entire Tragic Band system went down. Those of us with cash and credit could buy food at th booths, those using on Magic Bands were just mad.

On Saturday I got to cut half the line at check out at SSR because I could pay cash and one register was not working for bands or credit.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #28
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Carry a backup payment plan. Last Spring during Flower and Garden the entire Tragic Band system went down. Those of us with cash and credit could buy food at th booths, those using on Magic Bands were just mad.

On Saturday I got to cut half the line at check out at SSR because I could pay cash and one register was not working for bands or credit.
Agreed. Always good to have a backup to any electronic system. IN all our visits, we have never had issues using credit or MB...but it could happen. Best to be prepared for those rare occasions lest one be left out in the cold.

Cheers.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #29
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Yep, always have my wallet with me regardless. Just like a magic band may not work, a credit card may not read.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #30
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post

No way am I carrying enough cash to Florida so that I can checkout of our hotel "just in case" the credit card system goes down. If we have to wait, so be it. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote