home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Review of resort studio

I am staying at a resort studio at Grand Floridian for the next 7 days so I thought I would give everyone my two cents.

I have a lagoon view which is nice and I have a nice view of the Polynesian and wedding pavilion. The room is very nice with two queen beds and two couches. One is next to the window which means no deck. The bathroom is nice with two sinks but only one tub/shower. It does have a microwave and this pathetic beverage cooler.

I like the location next to the main buildings and it has its own pool but no hot tub or slide.
I do work out so its a little walk to the workout building.

I will never book here again unless a standard studio is not available. The beverage cooler is way to small. I like a walk in shower. I like using a hot tub and slide. I workout. With these factors the original DVC units fit me better.
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Correction

I found the hot tub. Its actually pretty big but well hidden. Still not going to use my points here.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Thank you for sharing! Just to be clear, you are talking about the newly refurbished building that was turned into DVC studios, correct?

Does the room have any plates, bowls, or utensils?

Even regular DVC studios are not ideal for me. They are okay if I bring along a few tools like an egg cooker that works in the microwave, but these new studios at Grand Floridian look like regular hotel rooms. That is not for me, but I hope that other guests enjoy them!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:38 PM   #4
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Grand Floridian

Yes this is the new DVC building called Big pine.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:40 PM   #5
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Grand Floridian

Yes it does have paper plates and utensils and paper cups but they also have 4 very nice glasses.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
M1Thumb
Studio

Thanks for the review. It matches what I thought based on some travel videos, that the new studios are basically just regular hotel rooms.

Just wondering do people buy into the new GF DVCs separately, or are they in the same boat as us older GF "owners?" Meaning, if people bought in for the GF DVC expansion, are they now in the same pool as the rest of us when it comes to the 11 month booking window at the dedicated GF DVC building? Or do they just get the 11 month window for Big Pine Key and they're at 7 months for the old DVC building?

Because if so, and if these rooms fail to impress, I hate to ponder the impact on our ability to book the room we want at 11 months out.
M1Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Thumb View Post
Thanks for the review. It matches what I thought based on some travel videos, that the new studios are basically just regular hotel rooms.

Just wondering do people buy into the new GF DVCs separately, or are they in the same boat as us older GF "owners?" Meaning, if people bought in for the GF DVC expansion, are they now in the same pool as the rest of us when it comes to the 11 month booking window at the dedicated GF DVC building? Or do they just get the 11 month window for Big Pine Key and they're at 7 months for the old DVC building?

Because if so, and if these rooms fail to impress, I hate to ponder the impact on our ability to book the room we want at 11 months out.
New resort studios are in the same association as the villas in the original building. Points are all equal at 11 months, so yes, competition for rooms in the original building will increase.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #8
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I recently stayed in BPK for 2 nights in lakeview studio and definitely enjoyed the location the most. Although parking is not convenient, I started parking by the DVC bldg. and cutting across to BPK.
It started pouring as we crossed the lobby and the courtyard flooded. Water was shin deep, so we waited in the Cafe area by the door. (next to DVC desk)
I hope they update for better drainage, we waited 45 mins before it started to recede.
I was surprised the sliders were not replaced in the Refurb, you can tell the frames are showing age.
The decor is top notch (loved the Ethan Allen sofa bed) and the double sinks and split bath were comparable to the kitchenette sink.
I do agree with the OP, the fridge is a big loss, that bev cooler cant even hold leftovers, nevermind if you don't cook. If its pouring down rain and there's standing water in the courtyard, do you really want to cross to get any type of food.
I was happy about the addition of the microwave, although they are a bit flimsy with loud beep and loud door. The Keurig is the single serve kind, but I was grateful for the real coffee mugs and there were robes in the villa size M/L
The bench seat cushion screwed onto the base and I found 4 screws on the floor before we checked out. They had backed out of the frame so if you have little ones, you may want to inspect.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwarzbauer View Post
I am staying at a resort studio at Grand Floridian for the next 7 days so I thought I would give everyone my two cents.

I have a lagoon view which is nice and I have a nice view of the Polynesian and wedding pavilion. The room is very nice with two queen beds and two couches. One is next to the window which means no deck. The bathroom is nice with two sinks but only one tub/shower. It does have a microwave and this pathetic beverage cooler.

I like the location next to the main buildings and it has its own pool but no hot tub or slide.
I do work out so its a little walk to the workout building.

I will never book here again unless a standard studio is not available. The beverage cooler is way to small. I like a walk in shower. I like using a hot tub and slide. I workout. With these factors the original DVC units fit me better.
Checking into standard studio in a few days, but those 2 dedicated beds can be a big deal for me. I do really want to be able to keep leftovers cold though. So for that reason I'll prob stick to the original DVC building if I can grab it.

Did you notice any noise issues? I read somewhere that the walls were kind of thin on the hotel side but I've never tried it out.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #10
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Grand Floridian

No noise but I am on the fifth floor, there are only five floors. Like I said I have a lagoon view but no deck so I have to stand to see it. Not worth the extra points. I like to point out this was the only type available. Plus why give me this huge uncomfortable couch by the window.