home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #111
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Love your plans Amy. This really is going to be a terrific RV Park

Where I'm Going 2022:
Grand Californian - Sunday, January 2 - Friday, January 7, 2022
Aulani - Friday, January 7 - Sunday, January 16, 2022
Hilton Head - Thursday, June 30 - Friday, July 15, 2022
Beach Club - Sunday, July 31 - Tuesday, August 9, 2022
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #112
jflatto
Grand Villa

Came across the following sign and wanted to share. Unfortunately, I could not embed the image so that it is linked to my Google Drive. I don't use a photos sharing site any more.

The sign is for a campsite, one sign for the adults and a "translated" for the teens about reporting issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KrQ...ew?usp=sharing

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT; Christmas 2021 - VGF and BCV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:46 AM   #113
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Came across the following sign and wanted to share. Unfortunately, I could not embed the image so that it is linked to my Google Drive. I don't use a photos sharing site any more.

The sign is for a campsite, one sign for the adults and a "translated" for the teens about reporting issues.

Hilarious, and sobering at the same time.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #114
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post

Thanks so much for sharing this!!!
Old 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #115
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this!!!
Amy - I immediately thought of you when I saw it. You may want some similar humorous signs that people (and teens ) are more likely to pay attention to.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT; Christmas 2021 - VGF and BCV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #116
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Now's a good update time. High level:

1) SBA loan application formally submitted & is in underwriting. Ya'll, the monthly payments on this will be more than the annual mortgage payments on my last house. This is terrifying. Exciting, yes. But terrifying too.

2) We met with an architect last week on the main building design. I'm waiting on her proposal, but I really enjoyed meeting with her. She gets the vision and had great ideas on both managing cost and a new thought to generate revenue.

3) Our civil engineer met us on-site last week for an update. He anticipates being ready on the engineering & permitting side by October, as long as we get the surveyor to do the 2nd topo survey fairly soon. Lots of good news, lots of details getting settled & one required redesign due to the official wetlands designation as soil scientist works with Army Core Engineer.

4) DH and I are spending some of our time now benchmarking other parks. We are now living in the Myrtle Beach area. This is a great place to visit other campgrounds. We have over a dozen in less than an hour's drive.

5) Orlando is also a great place to benchmark campgrounds, with a couple dozen within an hour's drive of WDW. I'll spend two weeks in late September visiting these.

So far, our favorite campgrounds are Fort Wilderness (duh), Willow Tree and Carolina Pines.

Our campground, Standing Pines, will be a fairly small park with 102 sites at opening and another 90 when we do the phase two expansion. That will put us at the same size as Willow Tree when we open. We will spend a lot to create high end amenities to draw guests to our campground. However, I do not want to do a waterpark. First, cost & insurance. Second, Hartsville recently built a nice waterpark. Neptune Island is 10 minutes from our campground. After the phase 2 expansion, we will be right at 200 sites total. That will put us at twice Willow Tree size and about one third the size of the Carolina Pines. Fort Wilderness has some 800 campsites plus 400 cabins. So we will be about 1/6 the size of Fort Wilderness after the expansion.

The phase 2 expansion will simply be adding another ~90 campsites with the roads after we pay off the loan for the initial build. It will be a much less expensive build as our initial build, including amenities, infrastructure & land use permits, is designed around supporting these additional future sites.

Standing Pines will have a 3-acre pond (lake) with fishing, boating & sand beaches plus an asphalt trail surrounding the water. Additional hiking trails will branch off this scenic golf cart/biking/walking trail. Our pond will be smaller than Willow Tree lake, but very similar feel to their lake trail. The main building for Standing Pines will incorporate a lot of the elements of the quiet pools at Carolina Pines, including flex space for events, restaurant, bistro window & bar, auditorium, etc. We will have dog parks, grooming station (there is a great one at Carolina Pine we are benchmarking), and all the other stuff (pools, parks, play) mentioned earlier in this thread.

DD came up with some characters for the campground this week, which will add a storytelling component that may hint at her early WDW theme park exposure.

I'm actually fairly excited about DD's characters. She is drawing them, creating a backstory for each and thinking about how to create full storylines. Depending on how far she goes with this, we may have stuffed animals, printed storybooks and/or some animated shorts. I love that this is sparking her creativity, including a thought yesterday for a scavenger hunt game for kids for finding all the different characters around the park.

Next week, I will start focusing on finding pool designers. That's close to the last step on the design side. One of my BFFs has a husband in the business. He is giving me some time next week to get his thoughts on what to check for a designer as well as some contacts if I want to follow up.

Overall, it is going really well. I still feel confident about opening sometime in 2023. There are some set backs. Probably the most significant is putting off building our house until the engineering is complete so the same general contractor who builds the campground can build our house. There's a lot of back story to that decision, but for now it is our best path forward.

I've had some initial conversations with a potential general contractor in the area. They are a relatively big outfit & can handle the build. I will also look for two other organizations to get three bids for the build. If all goes well, we will put out the request for bids in October.

I have my fingers crossed to officially break ground either December 2022 or January 2023.

Meanwhile, I'll also keep working on marketing plans and learning the operational side of the industry. We will put up some video cameras on our main website and facebook for future guests and others who might like to watch some of the construction.

I'd also love to find at least one couple for a pre-opening wedding. It would be a good way for us to practice prior to opening and get some good photos showcasing the property. I had hopes one of my cousins was going to pop the question to his GF in time, but he's a turtle.

I can go on endlessly about this. Throw any questions or ideas my way. I'd love to keep getting feedback from this group!

Last edited by MinnieMomofOne; 08-13-2022 at 11:35 AM.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #117
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Great news all the way around!

Thanks for the update!
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #118
N C State Tigger
Studio

Your plans sound fantastic. DH, myself and granddaughters 12 & 8 just left Carolina Pines this morning. The new “lazy river” there was a hit with all of us. Is that something you might consider? Also, love their pools! (The indoor one, not so much. But girls were happy with it when we had a “rain day”). Also, the arcade and mini bowling must be real money makers. I know we dropped way too much there.
N C State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #119
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post

I'd also love to find at least one couple for a pre-opening wedding. It would be a good way for us to practice prior to opening and get some good photos showcasing the property.

Here we go…. We film a reality show on property. Brian as the Bachelor. We find two dozen (or more, I’m open) prospective ladies, and we proceed through the selection process.

Suddenly I have great interest!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:59 PM   #120
reblzmom
Grand Villa

So THAT's how to get Brian to go camping......