home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #31
John2247
Two Bedroom

We live in South Louisiana and we found it to be much hotter in August at Walt Disney World then here. Possibly because of all the concrete you have to deal with. Also the parks were very crowded.

It is manageable if you get out early and go back to the hotel in early afternoon. it doesn't cool down much at night and there are lots of bugs to deal with.

John
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We have done several trips (probably around 7-8 times) at the end of August into early September - our school doesn’t start until the Wednesday after Labor Day! I’ve done 1 trip mid-August to accommodate my sister because her grandkids start school around the 15th.

There are more crowds in early to mid-August. In late August the lines can be nonexistent and practically walk on for most rides - obviously NOT the newest rides.

Wear moisture wicking clothes and good walking sandals without socks! Be prepared for it to rain everyday even if only a quick shower. We always carry ponchos. I’ve been ankle deep in rainwater in August! I’ve also seen people congregate in bathrooms or under nearly every overhang so “they don’t get wet”. . Meanwhile as long as there is no lightning in the area - we are still getting onto a lot of rides!!!

Be prepared for hurricanes. Disney will keep you informed as to what’s going on if they are close.

Carry a sweater for restaurants or other indoor areas. We don’t bother carrying water with us but just ask for a cup at any quick service - they’re free.

Also, we do rope drop - we’ve usually gotten on 2-5 rides before the parks are getting crazy. Then we take a quick break of drinks and light foods and carry on with our day. We plan for a sit down meal sometime between 11-3. Gives us a break from the chaos and we can cool down for a bit and regroup. We rarely go back to the room or pool because they are MOBBED after lunch and rather unpleasant by then! After lunch we hit our FP+ rides and then leave the park (generally) around 6-7. Head back to the villa and just relax. If the kids still have energy this is the best time to hit the pool. Almost deserted by this time. And then we’re back in the room for bed around 9-10.

August will be extremely humid. Temps in Florida and NJ are roughly the same in August. Hydrate, sunscreen and go at your own pace!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We've been there every month except February and March. It's all in what your options are. Up until 2017, we avoided summer like the plague. Our kids were younger, pulling them out of school for a few days was workable, and we travelled during the school-year.

As our oldest got into middle school, those options seemed less feasible, and summers are really the only time to go. The last two summers we've done August and July. It was hot...storms hit every day...but we managed.

Would I choose to go at that time above other options? No! Would I choose to go in the summer instead of not going at all? Absolutely!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #34
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

We have done march/April break and August for years.

March April is cooler and the pools look nice but we do not use much.

August. Yes it is hot and humid. but we do a week. We plan 1/2 day parks and 1/2 day pools. It is a nice relaxing balance. DH requires a pool side beverage every day.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #35
tracy12502
Two Bedroom

We've gone a few times right before the start of school, so the very end of August. Crowds were not bad at all because most schools have started by then. It was stinking hot but honestly not terrible, and we had some long days. A wet towel around the neck was great. The amount of indoor rides and attractions help.
tracy12502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #36
hlyntunstl
One Bedroom

Another B vote here. My best friend is a teacher and has 2-3 weeks in August for vacation. The later we go, the lighter the crowds. Either way, a hot day at Disney is better than a day working.