home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #71
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
There are two complaints associated with this.

One is from people who don't want housekeeping or outsiders in their room at all, under any circumstances, full stop. A variation on this is those who don't want anybody in their room when they aren't there. It's not paranoia. It's caution, just like you lock your door when you leave your home, and I lock mine.
Non sequitur. I also don't *want* people in my room. That's why we leave out the LUTFA whenever we can. That's very different from any belief that this change in policy makes one whit of difference in the actual safety of your shit.

Cheers.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #72
PirateLinda
Two Bedroom

We are at Jambo House now. They have been emptying the trash every day.
DH came back to the room to rest this afternoon. When they stopped by to empty the trash. He told them we were fine, didnít need it emptied. They were fine with that and left.

Upcoming Trips:
7/28-8/1 BWV
9/29-10/2 SSR
10/20-10/27 AKV - Kidani
PirateLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #73
Poly Lady
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
I also took it to mean Housekeeping stays the same way. "Regular" means normal, as in the old schedule.

One of the things I love about DVC is NOT having someone come into the room for 4 days.

I definitely would not want daily service as we take out our own trash very easily, make the bed and straighten up before we leave each day.

I need to reread the info about the 'other' new program re Housekeeping entering rooms because of Vegas. Understandable to a degree, but doesn't thrill me to pieces either.
I so agree. I hate having anyone in and out of my room. No big deal to make the beds and make sure the towels are hung up. But with situations like Vegas it is safe to assume change was needed.
Poly Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #74
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
What good can that possibly do? A person with an arsenal can keep his guns in the trunk of the car and bring in a duffel and set up his weapons in a short while. Or just leave the duffel in a closet. If they don't search belongings, they would not find an arsenal in a bag in a closet. A person with evil intent can easily find a way to bypass this quick visual check.
(snip)
What exactly is Disney afraid that we are doing in those rooms, anyway.
It's not about security nor safety, it's about liability. Disney couldn't care less about whether you are safe or secure. What they do care about is if they can be successfully sued if something bad happens. In light of the LV shootings, they had to do *something*. These checks gives the appearance that they have beefed up security, which they can then cite if some nutjob goes off at Disney. (Which, BTW, we are long, long overdue for. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet, but it will, and likely in the next few years).

I would be completely fine with an airport luggage scanning system at check-in--it would certainly be more effective than this farce.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #75
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post
Iisney couldn't care less about whether you are safe or secure.
And you know this based on what, specifically? Bluster and hyperbole? I thought as much.

Cheers.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 AM   #76
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
It's not about security nor safety, it's about liability. Disney couldn't care less about whether you are safe or secure. What they do care about is if they can be successfully sued if something bad happens. In light of the LV shootings, they had to do *something*. These checks gives the appearance that they have beefed up security, which they can then cite if some nutjob goes off at Disney. (Which, BTW, we are long, long overdue for. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet, but it will, and likely in the next few years).
I read that the guy who shot up Pulse night club was supposed to shoot up Disney Springs but got spooked after seeing armed police everywhere. People are crazy!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #77
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

On our recent Jambo visit, nothing was consistent, but it wasnít intrusive either. On our first full day, we were in the parks most of the day, when we returned the trash had been removed and the towels were untouched. On the second day, mousekeeping tapped very lightly on the door around 830. I was up so I answered it. When she saw that I was still in my jammies she apologized and left. If I were still sleeping I donít think I would have heard the tapping. My daughter slept through it. Same lady came back later in the morning. I asked if she needed to come in and do a quick room check and grab the trash. She somehow had us scheduled for a full clean! I thanked her but told her that wasnít necessary, but invited her in to check trash, etc. She grabbed the trash, switched out the towels, thanked me and left. Very quick and painless.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #78
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

I would be completely fine with an airport luggage scanning system at check-in--it would certainly be more effective than this farce.
That's wholly impractical. At the moderate resorts and several deluxe DVCs, you can park right next to your room and bring stuff in. The values have multiplied buildings with outside room entrances. All resorts have stairwells you can use to get to your rooms.

A cruise ship or airport is a closed system with only one entrance point (or few entrance points that can be easily secured) which makes screening functional and total.

It would be impossible to implement screening at OKW or SSR or the moderates. AKL-Jambo and the Contemporary are probably the only resorts that could do it since they basically have less than 5 access points and no ground level rooms with patios.

Even Kidani Village has the stairwells and multiple elevators that go down to the garages

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #79
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's wholly impractical. At the moderate resorts and several deluxe DVCs, you can park right next to your room and bring stuff in. The values have multiplied buildings with outside room entrances. All resorts have stairwells you can use to get to your rooms.

A cruise ship or airport is a closed system with only one entrance point (or few entrance points that can be easily secured) which makes screening functional and total.

It would be impossible to implement screening at OKW or SSR or the moderates. AKL-Jambo and the Contemporary are probably the only resorts that could do it since they basically have less than 5 access points and no ground level rooms with patios.

Even Kidani Village has the stairwells and multiple elevators that go down to the garages

Dirk
..and it's not that difficult to bring in a gun-loaded golf bag and a couple of cereal boxes full of ammo (which you purchased from a local Florida gun dealer and transported in your rental car a few days after checking-in)..

As others have said: the "impression" of Security personnel and an ever-changing inspection schedule is what makes it difficult for someone to plan an attack. These assailants know they won't live through it, but they want to get off a couple rounds before they go. If they feel they'll get caught on the way in, they'll find another (easier) property. Disney is not the "soft target" that it appears.

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #80
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
..and it's not that difficult to bring in a gun-loaded golf bag and a couple of cereal boxes full of ammo (which you purchased from a local Florida gun dealer and transported in your rental car a few days after checking-in)..

As others have said: the "impression" of Security personnel and an ever-changing inspection schedule is what makes it difficult for someone to plan an attack. These assailants know they won't live through it, but they want to get off a couple rounds before they go. If they feel they'll get caught on the way in, they'll find another (easier) property. Disney is not the "soft target" that it appears.
I have high regard for Disney security. I have low regard for this policy as I think it puts an undue burden on the guest, which I've explained numerous times.

I don't have a problem with Disney in my room. I don't have a problem with a room check if the DND sign has been up too long. I do have a problem with being interrupted while sleeping in late or taking a nap. I've been clear that is my bottom line and if that ever happens to me, I will re-evaluate my relationship with WDW.

Guest safety is important, but so is guest comfort. I'm not in a prison or reform school and I absolutely will not be treated like I am.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote