home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Also our annual pass started on the day we upgraded, it wasn't back dated. This actually worked out in our favor as we were able to add 3 days to our trip this coming year and will not have to renew AP for the extra days. Hopefully we can make it til the fall before going back and do AP then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
I think you got lucky by the CM not activating your AP until the day you upgraded, instead of the day your multi-day park hopper was first used. From what I've read, it is supposed to be retroactive to the first day of initial pass use (your park hopper, in your case).
The setting of the AP expiration date when upgrading from a partially used ticket is a manual process. The CM is supposed to check the usage of the MYW ticket and set the AP expiration date based on first use.

There have been cases where the CM incorrectly used the purchase date of the MYW ticket as the basis for the AP expiration date.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

Remember you need to have at least one day left on your pass to upgrade.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Jingojango
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEater View Post
Remember you need to have at least one day left on your pass to upgrade.
That one is key and I realize it. How bad it would it be to wake up the day after you used your last day and think you are going to walk up and get the upgrade only to learn you were a day late and a lot of dollars short.

Thanks for all the info.

Take aways. The CM needs to be qualified and knowledgeable. Stay away from MM purchase. Make sure they use the correct start date from ticket first use and not from purchase date.

Now onto walking that one bedroom to the dates I need. My first time bridging tickets and walking reservations. The lengths we go to for a popular time of year.
Jingojango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
KtMcobs96
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Not to hijack this thread, but...

I have been to WDW at least 10x in my adult life, have been a DVC member since 2000 and have been following Disney blogs (and their forums) for at least 10 years, but I have never had an AP. We are leaving for an extended trip to WDW in 29 days and also have a reservation for a F&W trip late Oct/early Nov later this year for my DH and me.

Here’s the skinny on the trip:
Split stay trip between 1 bed @ BLT & 2 bed @ BWV (boardwalk view).
Arrive Thursday 6/7 (4p), depart Saturday 6/16 (5p), not entering parks until 6/8
Party: Myself - 9 day PHP (paid $507 UT w/ mousesavers discount)
DH - 9 day PHP (paid $507 UT w/ mousesavers discount)
DS21 - 8 day PHP (not arriving until 10:30p Friday 6/8)
DS 18 - 9 day PHP
DS 16 - 9 day PHP
Trip Extras: scored Moonlight Madness @ TL reservations for 6/11

Please advise me if I am missing something or have something incorrect about my AP-upgrade reasoning listed below:

I am thinking I will upgrade my ticket to a Gold AP (black-out dates not a concern) upon our arrival. I will walk over to MK guest services and upgrade there. Thought is I would like to have access to the memory maker included with AP and also have merch/dining discount available (whenever DVC discount doesn’t apply). I know I will be relinquishing my water park admissions that come with my PHP, but I am okay with the one evening at TL. Not going to waterparks isn’t any skin off my nose.

I am thinking we will upgrade DH’s ticket to a Gold AP on Friday. The thought is he does enjoy going to the waterparks and will probably go with the boys at least 2x with boys beyond the Moonlight Madness event. Then he has an AP for the F&W trip and I won’t hear him complain about having to carry a ticket AND wear a magicband for the majority of this trip.

Okay, the math part of it:
I paid $507 for both of our 9 day PHP before the 2018 price increase.
DVC Gold AP is $627.29 with tax.

Do I need to activate my PHP to adjust it to the current gate price for a 9 day PHP of $569.78 before going to guest services to upgrade to AP? That should save me $57.51 if the ticket is adjusted to current gate price.

Or am I going to end up paying the difference between the actual discounted PHP price ($507) and the Gold AP, which would end up costing me $120.29 per AP?

Am I missing anything? Am I wrong about any of this?

And before anyone mentions it, I know that DH and I will have different renewal dates. Not too concerned about it as it took us 18 years before we even thought about buying our first AP. Do not foresee us renewing it.

And according to Dis Mom’s panel your expiration date is based on the day you upgrade, not the first use of the original multi-day ticket.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtMcobs96 View Post
I am thinking we will upgrade DH’s ticket to a Gold AP on Friday. The thought is he does enjoy going to the waterparks and will probably go with the boys at least 2x with boys beyond the Moonlight Madness event. Then he has an AP for the F&W trip and I won’t hear him complain about having to carry a ticket AND wear a magicband for the majority of this trip.
If DH uses a Water Park option on the PHP, the only upgrade option will be the Platinum Plus Pass (which includes the Water Parks).

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
KtMcobs96
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
If DH uses a Water Park option on the PHP, the only upgrade option will be the Platinum Plus Pass (which includes the Water Parks).
Really?!? I never would have thought that!

So I would have to upgrade to a pass that costs $882.89 vs. $627.29 because he likes water slides.

At that rate, I am probably better off buying him a 3 or 4 day pass for the F&W trip. UGH.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Really?!? I never would have thought that!

So I would have to upgrade to a pass that costs $882.89 vs. $627.29 because he likes water slides.

At that rate, I am probably better off buying him a 3 or 4 day pass for the F&W trip. UGH.
Yep - if he uses a water park entitlement then that ticket could not be upgraded to a Gold AP.

If he likes the water parks then tickets may be the way to go. And you'd have your AP for dining and merchandise discounts.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 AM   #18
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:

And according to Dis Mom’s panel your expiration date is based on the day you upgrade, not the first use of the original multi-day ticket.
Unfortunately, I have read several responses on Disney Parks Moms Panel which I believe to be inaccurate. This could be one of those things, as multiple other sources have stated otherwise. And of course the Disney website is so vague about so many things, that this information is not available. I'd say be prepared for either date to be the date that the CM uses when you upgrade.

About your husband's PHP upgrade to an AP, it might be cheaper to upgrade him to an AP on day 1 and then just buy him daily passes for his water park days. Of course you paid a bit more for the PHP than you would have for the regular PH, but its not a huge difference. I think you'll still end up ahead this way. Of course this will depend on how many water park days he does.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Okay, the math part of it:
I paid $507 for both of our 9 day PHP before the 2018 price increase.
DVC Gold AP is $627.29 with tax.

Do I need to activate my PHP to adjust it to the current gate price for a 9 day PHP of $569.78 before going to guest services to upgrade to AP? That should save me $57.51 if the ticket is adjusted to current gate price.
One other thing I wanted to mention is that I’ve read that if your ticket is from old stock, which may be the case since you said you bought them before the 2018 price increase, the price that should be credited towards the annual pass will be bridged to whatever the corresponding ticket gate price was before the price increase. I guess there are ways for CMs to tell when a ticket was created and the creation date will affect what amount of credit you get. This should apply to e-tickets and paper tickets or ticket vouchers.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote