home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #131
Disney54us
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
It quickly became a family favorite. I wasn't sure myself but it was really great. Very relaxing which is what we seem to like in resorts (hence the PVB and OKW in there too).

It is a bit dark and doing make up is a PITA due to the lighting, but we'll go back for sure!
Hmm, will have to do a stay one day. Yes I do like/love the relaxing nature of OKW and PVB. Both completely different but a relaxing atmosphere.

the lighting, that would drive my daughter nuts.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #132
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Hmm, will have to do a stay one day. Yes I do like/love the relaxing nature of OKW and PVB. Both completely different but a relaxing atmosphere.

the lighting, that would drive my daughter nuts.
I used the desk/table that was by the balcony instead of the bathroom It wasn't bad there, but still a nice non-yellow based lighted mirror would be nice
Old 08-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #133
Jedimom3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I see the price increases as a major deterrent to buying in right now. Couple that with the fact that the MF's are threatening to rise rapidly because of the increase in taxes, and I think that DVC ownership is becoming less appealing. I currently have a contract on which we are waiting to close. This is a lengthy closing because of international sellers. In the event that we cannot close by the date in the contract, then I am happy to walk away because of the comptroller mercilessly going after all the resorts for more money. Basically, between the higher DVC resale prices and the higher potential taxes, I have cooled to owning anymore than I already do. I truly hope that Disney and the others are successful in their lawsuits against the county, but only time will tell.
I agree. I've had a little addonitis lately, but more to just get direct points. I wish we'd bought some cheap BLT when we could, since right now at this stage in our lives, we love staying there. I think patience will pay off though. The economy will take a downturn, maybe not all that soon, but then people will be selling more cheaply...then can gobble up a good deal. We started looking in 2007, and finally didn't get it done until 2011, and there were GREAT deals to be had (BWV in the low 60s.)
I think they'll come a time again for lower prices...kinda morbid to sit and hope for a good ole recession though
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #134
Disney54us
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
I agree. I've had a little addonitis lately, but more to just get direct points. I wish we'd bought some cheap BLT when we could, since right now at this stage in our lives, we love staying there. I think patience will pay off though. The economy will take a downturn, maybe not all that soon, but then people will be selling more cheaply...then can gobble up a good deal. We started looking in 2007, and finally didn't get it done until 2011, and there were GREAT deals to be had (BWV in the low 60s.)
I think they'll come a time again for lower prices...kinda morbid to sit and hope for a good ole recession though
I think prices may go lower at some point but when I sold two small contracts, early 2015. It is not like the economy/stock market was in a boom as it is now. I got asking price for one and the other (I really should check) maybe took a offer of a couple dollars less per point. Both sold in a week actually one in 24 hours. They were SSR and VB, so again not like the 'untouchable' BWV or BCV.
We really would need a recession for prices to truly dive. Plus the market is driven by what direct price is selling for. I don't see DVC even during a economic decline dropping the price $20-40 off. Adding more selling incentives, absolutely.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #135
Djohn06
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
I think prices may go lower at some point but when I sold two small contracts, early 2015. It is not like the economy/stock market was in a boom as it is now. I got asking price for one and the other (I really should check) maybe took a offer of a couple dollars less per point. Both sold in a week actually one in 24 hours. They were SSR and VB, so again not like the 'untouchable' BWV or BCV.
We really would need a recession for prices to truly dive. Plus the market is driven by what direct price is selling for. I don't see DVC even during a economic decline dropping the price $20-40 off. Adding more selling incentives, absolutely.
Actually since 2009 there have only been 2 years with a worse return on the S&P than this year. Stock market has been doing well for awhile now.

DVC prices imho are trailing indicators of the stock market. Probably more tied to employment rates than stock market pricing.

I wish I shared your optimism but I don't on DVC pricing. My guess is we are at its peak now.... sell why you can. What will take DVC down are the maint fees. The estimated "savings" on DVC has gone from 60 to 50 and soon to be 45 percent. They have to find a way to stop the bleeding on 4 to 6 percent yearly maint fee increases.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #136
debabe
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I really enjoyed my recent stay at BCV, and have been watching the smaller contracts there. But why in the world would you pay 135pp resale for a 150pt contract when you could pay 165 direct and get all of the perks?

That is exactly how I feel about purchasing a contract to the VGF.

debabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #137
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by debabe View Post

That is exactly how I feel about purchasing a contract to the VGF.
The spread on VGF is much higher. You can pay anywhere from $115-$150, and direct is $185. I bought mine for $130pp, and direct is $185. That means that I saved almost $20k on my purchase. Granted, my first resale was before the most recent changes, but I still saved a lot of money. Also, it is pretty difficult to get VGF direct according to some who have tried. I am only repeating what others have said about that since I didn't try.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #138
Djohn06
Grand Villa

There are a lot of unique situations these days so it's difficult to paint a broad stroke over the entire direct vs resale debate.

I'm sure there is a spread where direct trumps resale. Is it 25 points or 30 points? I'm sure someone has calculated it.

The simplest reason for going resale is when a person has a set dollar amount to spend. If I purchase resale I know that I get 7 days at MK every year. If I go direct I only get 4. 7 days sounds better than 4. I go once a year. I probably won't buy an annual pass. I can get dining discounts on my disney Visa card too. Or, who cares about table service dining? We eat mostly counter service anyway. There are just so many different trip patterns/ habits these days.

Personally, I have been in DVC for 4 1/2 years and all I have ever used perks for are dining, babysitting and merchandising discounts. Maybe I save $40 a trip. Definitely not worth buying the perks direct for us. Also, I have yet to make any of the free events as most are provided with short notice.

ARDA previously stated most people keep a timeshare on average for 11 years. So unless a person is taking advantage of the annual pass savings, I am not sure the average person would recoup a $30 spread on 150 points ($4,500) in 11 years. I know there are closing costs too..... so maybe the difference is more like $3,800. I'm still not sure I would recoup $3,800 in 11 years.

Too much to think about right? That's why I say make a budget for what you want to spend and stick to it. If direct falls into your budget great. Do it! If resale falls into your budget, fantastic do that. I'm just trying to keep it simple for people.

Lastly, if the perks are that important, you can do resale and then a small direct contract. That would save a person money and still get them the perks. It is the best of both worlds.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #139
zafiro
One Bedroom

Keeping the gun powder dry for a rainy day...
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote