home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Doing Disney After DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Opting for a Second/Vacation/Retirement Home
Why would we opt for another home? We have DVC points! 14 15.05%
We haven't thought much about it. Maybe someday. 21 22.58%
We've been dreaming of a place. I really want do to this! 28 30.11%
We are actively looking for a place. Cross your fingers and wish us luck! 7 7.53%
Yes, we have a place. 26 27.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #11
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Being an old timer, we addressed that issue about 20 years ago.

We thought about and actually look at several new developments around Disney which had as their selling point that they would rent it out for us when we weren't there, but only for a few years, then we would be on our own to rent it out. No thanks,

Then I figured if we bought a second home, my husband would never want to go anywhere else. Hell, he would say, we already spent on this money on a place in Arizona, why do want to go on a cruise, or go to Paris, or go to China.

So we bought some Marriott Vacation points to supplement our DVC and I have been to all those places and more!
ggatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #12
brat32179
One Bedroom

We purchase vacation rentals for investment.

It's not always fun and a lot of work goes into it. But when we started purchasing vacation rentals we focused on places that we would also want to use with a mix of places we can drive to or fly to. This has turned out to be a blessing this year, obviously. We've had places we could escape to (driving), as well as the income being extremely high this year as others are also looking for short term rentals near them.

For us personally the idea of DVC and vacation homes are completely separate. I purchased DVC for myself, we can drive to the park, it's a fun weekend activity or to share with friends/family. Vacation homes are an investment, in money, in time, in patience, and always a learning experience.

The next poll should be who's jumped on the RV bandwagon this year. :-)

VGC, VWL
brat32179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Had 600 DVC points. Sold off a bunch and down to 275 for once a year (F&W) trips. Was thinking of buying a quarter share condo in HHI. But recently decided we wanted warmer winter weather. And more ownership and control of a place to come and go when we want. Keep stuff there. Go for weeks at a time due to the drive being so long. ANd something easily rentable for summer time and other times we won't be there. So...we are looking near WDW. Not so that we can go to WDW all the time. But to rent to folks who want to go to WDW. And to have FL weather in winter.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): 4/25 at OKW & 4/26-5/8 off site, 9/1 at AKV (club) & 9/2-7 at BCV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #14
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat32179 View Post
The next poll should be who's jumped on the RV bandwagon this year. :-)
LOL! We did that last year when we lived on a lake at a former campground in OK. The RV sat in the backyard from the day we brought it home till we moved. Now it is at a storage place.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #15
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
LOL! We did that last year when we lived on a lake at a former campground in OK. The RV sat in the backyard from the day we brought it home till we moved. Now it is at a storage place.
You moved from OK? I know you bought the place in Orlando. But isn't that a vacation place or do you live there full time?

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): 4/25 at OKW & 4/26-5/8 off site, 9/1 at AKV (club) & 9/2-7 at BCV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #16
brat32179
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
You haven't taken it anywhere?

VGC, VWL
brat32179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #17
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
You moved from OK? I know you bought the place in Orlando. But isn't that a vacation place or do you live there full time?
She moved again! I think maybe Georgia? I canít remember...
Old 12-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
We have DVC points and want to use them so this year has definitely been a challenge. DH would love to buy a place in FL but that is not in the cards, too many dr appointments for both of us. Plus we could never leave the kids and grands.
I hope weíll someday have grands that we just canít leave!
Old 12-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #19
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Not for us. I really love hearing about other MO’s travel/retirement plans! But unless we decide to sell all of our animals, (and with baby goats due in 16 days, I don’t see that happening) we will never travel for more than 7-10 days at a time. And probably not more than 1-2 times per year. So a vacation home isn’t in the cards for us. But I’d rather have my farm than a vacation home, so it all works out.
I’ve been amazed at the amount of farms within a 15-30 minute drive to WDW! You may want to drive around the area the next time you’re “at home”!

We moved from farm country in NJ to major suburbs here in Florida and so far we’ve been enjoying it. COVID - not so much! We are about 2-3 linear miles to MK but it takes about 20 minutes to drive there. We are also about 5 minutes or so to farmettes (5-10 acre plots).

Full time Floridians, no rentals!

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

We move a lot. As an adult, I've lived in SC, NC, VA, DC, GA, AL, MS, AR, OK, CA, WA and I may be forgetting one. My best guess is we have 2-3 more moves before I retire. So getting a vacation place in FL that will be our retirement home also serves to give us a permanent place that doesn't change. I honestly wish we had come up with this 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Orlando is our vacation place. We lived in OK for a couple of years. Just a couple months ago we left OK to move to AL. This gets us much closer to family & Florida, so I'm calling it a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat32179 View Post
You haven't taken it anywhere?
I know, right? Makes me crazy. But our OK house was tiny. The RV was the least expensive way to add some living space / guest room / play room for DD. DH wants to find some cheap land in the mountains without deed restrictions to park it & build a cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
She moved again! I think maybe Georgia? I canít remember...
LOL! Yes, about that. GA => OK => AL are most recent moves.

I do miss Savanah. I would happily move there again someday.