home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #31
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Hah! Those lenses are $700 - $1000 each. I don't shoot sports or concerts, so I don't need that fast low-light performance in a zoom. More interested in a fast prime at a good focal length. With good light, I can get some great foliage shots with the 55-210 with excellent background bokeh. Just have to shoot as close as a kind at the longest distance with the lowest aperture.

There is a 90mm macro that is really nice, but it's also expensive. Probably end up in the 35-50 range for fast, and maybe a fast wider angle, too. There is also a 55mm macro for Sony e-mount that I've looked at (though it may be FE mount).

If I were earning money from my photography and didn't live on the salary of a non-profit executive, then I'd look at the fast Art lenses.

Dirk
I love the 50-100 on 7dmii. At 1.8 I got some really nice insects shots but my hands are not steady. May be a6500 will do better with this lens.

Sigma has some 1.4 and 2.8 prime for Sony EMount. Tamron just announced 28-70 for Sony emount FF lens. Hopefully these guys will have something soon for Sony E mounts.

I do have 90 mm macro, I did better with Canon macro then Sony macro. I guess I donít have very good handle on my Sony gear so far. Will be using full Sony gear in upcoming trip, full week, hopefully can do better after the trip.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #32
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I love the 50-100 on 7dmii. At 1.8 I got some really nice insects shots but my hands are not steady. May be a6500 will do better with this lens.

Sigma has some 1.4 and 2.8 prime for Sony EMount. Tamron just announced 28-70 for Sony emount FF lens. Hopefully these guys will have something soon for Sony E mounts.

I do have 90 mm macro, I did better with Canon macro then Sony macro. I guess I donít have very good handle on my Sony gear so far. Will be using full Sony gear in upcoming trip, full week, hopefully can do better after the trip.
The a6500 has really great IS when in-body is combined with a Sony OSS lens. I'm not sure how it compares to the ar7ii (I think that's your Sony body?). I haven't tried it yet with a non-OSS lens.

A lighter camera body will be easier to hold, and a good lens/body balance will also help.

Of course, photographers can get a great shot with nearly any lens or body as long as they understand the assets and limits of their equipment. For me, it's a question of what do I want to carry as if it's too heavy, I won't carry it on vacation! Thus, I became very good with my iPhone at Disneyland and DCA in 2016, but once the sun started to set, the noise in the photo ranged from noticeable to unbearable.

Now, my Sony a6500 does better on noise, and probably dynamic range, than my full-from Canon 6D did at comparable ISOs, and Sony has some neat in-body noise reduction tools that Canon didn't have. That may have changed with the 6Dii.

Have you checked out technologymafia's channel on YouTube? He has some great reviews and comparisons of Sony crop bodies and e-mount lenses. I think he pixel-peeps a bit too much, but I find his comparisons very helpful in clarifying what a particular lens is good for.

Sigma makes a fast 60mm prime (1.8, I think) which, for an Art lens is very affordable. I might end up choosing that for shots for great bokeh, even if it isn't macro. The Sigma 16mm 1.4 is also supposed to be on of the best lenses out there for Sony. On a crop body at night, that would be perfect for WDW parades and hand-held night shots. Given how small mirrorless primes can be, I can see having just the telephoto zoom for long shots and going with 3-4 primes for the wide to standard ranges (while keeping a standard zoom for when I don't know what I need and want to travel light).

Dirk
Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #33
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The a6500 has really great IS when in-body is combined with a Sony OSS lens. I'm not sure how it compares to the ar7ii (I think that's your Sony body?). I haven't tried it yet with a non-OSS lens.

A lighter camera body will be easier to hold, and a good lens/body balance will also help.

Of course, photographers can get a great shot with nearly any lens or body as long as they understand the assets and limits of their equipment. For me, it's a question of what do I want to carry as if it's too heavy, I won't carry it on vacation! Thus, I became very good with my iPhone at Disneyland and DCA in 2016, but once the sun started to set, the noise in the photo ranged from noticeable to unbearable.

Now, my Sony a6500 does better on noise, and probably dynamic range, than my full-from Canon 6D did at comparable ISOs, and Sony has some neat in-body noise reduction tools that Canon didn't have. That may have changed with the 6Dii.

Have you checked out technologymafia's channel on YouTube? He has some great reviews and comparisons of Sony crop bodies and e-mount lenses. I think he pixel-peeps a bit too much, but I find his comparisons very helpful in clarifying what a particular lens is good for.

Sigma makes a fast 60mm prime (1.8, I think) which, for an Art lens is very affordable. I might end up choosing that for shots for great bokeh, even if it isn't macro. The Sigma 16mm 1.4 is also supposed to be on of the best lenses out there for Sony. On a crop body at night, that would be perfect for WDW parades and hand-held night shots. Given how small mirrorless primes can be, I can see having just the telephoto zoom for long shots and going with 3-4 primes for the wide to standard ranges (while keeping a standard zoom for when I don't know what I need and want to travel light).

Dirk
I watch many reviews for a particular item. With Sony is very hard to find an honest opinion as Sony has too many paid people making YouTube reviews. Tony Northrop, I trust him as he does all brands (he is local too).

I am looking for a wide faster prime for the trip so looking to get 20 or 28 f1.4 sigma. Did not find a good deal on used so far on Ebay.

I sold my 6d and 24-105 as a kit. Will sell some more older bodies and get something new.

Yes I have Sony a7r ii, it also has IBIS, that was the biggest reason for me to go to Sony. With new Lenses coming from Tamron and Sigma for Sony mount, I think we will see more choices soon.

Sony a7iii announced yesterday with native ISO up to 51200, beats the hell out of most of the bodies out in market.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I watch many reviews for a particular item. With Sony is very hard to find an honest opinion as Sony has too many paid people making YouTube reviews. Tony Northrop, I trust him as he does all brands (he is local too).
What I find interesting is how many reviewers are pushing Sigma primes over Sony primes! TechnologyMafia's site I referenced isn't a fan of the Sony zooms, including the Zeiss 16-70. He and his wife are both vloggers, though, so with everything on the internet, a grain of salt is useful. I just wish Tony Northrup's videos were shorter . . .

Quote:
I am looking for a wide faster prime for the trip so looking to get 20 or 28 f1.4 sigma. Did not find a good deal on used so far on Ebay.
I found that most of my Disney shots are in the 28 range unless I'm intentionally going wide or long. Even on a crop body, it seems to get in a full float in a parade, though it is a bit tight. If you're looking at low-light indoor shots (such as attractions) and also want a good landscape lens, I would go with the 20. If you want primarily outdoor shots or indoor close-ups, then the 28.

Quote:
Sony a7iii announced yesterday with native ISO up to 51200, beats the hell out of most of the bodies out in market.
I know full-frame will always have better ISO, but I'm very satisfied with the a6500's ISO performance. For any serious non-park photography low-light, I would use a tripod anyway, which allows for lower ISO.

Dirk
Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #35
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
What I find interesting is how many reviewers are pushing Sigma primes over Sony primes! TechnologyMafia's site I referenced isn't a fan of the Sony zooms, including the Zeiss 16-70. He and his wife are both vloggers, though, so with everything on the internet, a grain of salt is useful. I just wish Tony Northrup's videos were shorter . . .

Quote:
I found that most of my Disney shots are in the 28 range unless I'm intentionally going wide or long. Even on a crop body, it seems to get in a full float in a parade, though it is a bit tight. If you're looking at low-light indoor shots (such as attractions) and also want a good landscape lens, I would go with the 20. If you want primarily outdoor shots or indoor close-ups, then the 28.
thx for the tip. I will go for 20mm f1.4 Sigma Art series.

Quote:
I know full-frame will always have better ISO, but I'm very satisfied with the a6500's ISO performance. For any serious non-park photography low-light, I would use a tripod anyway, which allows for lower ISO.

Dirk

Saw some of the images from a7iii, I am drooling now, probably I can have faster shutter and get my shots. Since I already have Sony native lenses, going to pre-order one, should have it before the trip.

To raise money, will let go a6000 with kit lenses and Canon 70D. Got to sell out few lenses as well.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI