home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #71
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 6,366
Default

Casino...I had heard that the odds aren't in favor on cruise ships. I am not into gambling so I may drop $20 on slots and other little games (no tables). Oct cruise I stopped when I was up like $60. Cruise this month I didn't spend a penny in the casino. But I do like playing the bingo (won a free cruise on CCL and won like $350 on RCCL). Disney does the bingo too though. But the casinos are always bustling on the ships so they must make something. And smokers can hang in there so my guess is they spend/play while getting their smoke on..... So I suppose, between the lack of casino money and less bar drinking (I assume families with littles don't drink like DH and I would as empty nesters), that premium for a Disney cruise makes sense.
__________________

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
March 2-9 BLT / May 15-18 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 4 BWV & Oct 4-6 OKW / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #72
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 28,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Casino...I had heard that the odds aren't in favor on cruise ships. I am not into gambling so I may drop $20 on slots and other little games (no tables). Oct cruise I stopped when I was up like $60. Cruise this month I didn't spend a penny in the casino. But I do like playing the bingo (won a free cruise on CCL and won like $350 on RCCL). Disney does the bingo too though. But the casinos are always bustling on the ships so they must make something. And smokers can hang in there so my guess is they spend/play while getting their smoke on..... So I suppose, between the lack of casino money and less bar drinking (I assume families with littles don't drink like DH and I would as empty nesters), that premium for a Disney cruise makes sense.
Disney also doesn't offer drink packages of any merit so they aren't making money off of the undrunk portion of those packages. It would be interesting to compare alcohol profit per guest on DCL vs. another line that offers alcohol packages. Who actually makes the more money? DCL because guest have to buy every drink? Or the other lines because peoples don't drink the package to its limit or because Disney guests drink less since they have to pay for every beverage?

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #73
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 6,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Disney also doesn't offer drink packages of any merit so they aren't making money off of the undrunk portion of those packages. It would be interesting to compare alcohol profit per guest on DCL vs. another line that offers alcohol packages. Who actually makes the more money? DCL because guest have to buy every drink? Or the other lines because peoples don't drink the package to its limit or because Disney guests drink less since they have to pay for every beverage?

Dirk
Can you still bring a bottle of booze on with you...on Disney?
__________________

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
March 2-9 BLT / May 15-18 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 4 BWV & Oct 4-6 OKW / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #74
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Can you still bring a bottle of booze on with you...on Disney?

Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.
Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.
Please note:
  • Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.
  • All alcohol brought onboard must be in an original unopened container. Partially used bottles and those in which the seal has been broken will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.
  • Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #75
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 6,366
Default

Ah, thanks. 2 bottles of wine...same on RCCL and CCL.
__________________

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
March 2-9 BLT / May 15-18 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 4 BWV & Oct 4-6 OKW / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #76
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Disney also doesn't offer drink packages of any merit so they aren't making money off of the undrunk portion of those packages. It would be interesting to compare alcohol profit per guest on DCL vs. another line that offers alcohol packages. Who actually makes the more money? DCL because guest have to buy every drink? Or the other lines because peoples don't drink the package to its limit or because Disney guests drink less since they have to pay for every beverage?

Dirk

What I like about DCL's packages is that you buy what you need in advance, not a set price per day, per cabin. For example, you can pre-orde three bottles of wine for $97 plus tax and gratuities (or it could be 4, 5, 6). Whereas RCCL and ours, you have to pay per person/per day and it gets quite expensive.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #77
Boundin'
Grand Villa
 
Boundin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
What I like about DCL's packages is that you buy what you need in advance, not a set price per day, per cabin. For example, you can pre-orde three bottles of wine for $97 plus tax and gratuities (or it could be 4, 5, 6). Whereas RCCL and ours, you have to pay per person/per day and it gets quite expensive.
yes- and if you don't drink it all, you can take it to the room or off the ship with you.
__________________
Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Turf and Surf and Turf
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
3/2019 AoA The Smithereens Trip***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib***7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday ***9/25-10/1/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival ***12/2019 VGC

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC - all the good ones
Boundin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software