home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #91
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Dogs are amazing at sensing things. It's incredible.

If only mine could apply that ability to something other than knowing when to follow me into the bathroom.
Doesn't sense supper time?

Ludwig seems to know when I'm even just thinking about giving him a treat.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #92
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

https://nadoi.org/fake-service-dogs/

I thought this was a good article from a different view point. I never thought about how genuine service dogs are affected by fake service dogs .
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #93
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

I thought this was a good article from a different view point. I never thought about how genuine service dogs are affected by fake service dogs .
That brought a tear to my eye.
A great article and perspective, thanks for sharing
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #94
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Doesn't sense supper time?

Ludwig seems to know when I'm even just thinking about giving him a treat.

Dirk
This is my Woody with DH.

We once had a brittany who was nippy with kids who roughhoused with him and we had 3 little kids who had tons of little friends over all the time. One little friend tackled him and he nipped the kid's face so we found a new kid free home with a single older lady who lived alone and liked to hike a lot. He got to run through the woods off leash and was in heaven. But, anyway, the lady took him to visit with her elderly mom who had a seizure disorder and they came to realize he could sense when her seizures were coming on.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
2019-2020 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV/SSR / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana/ Jan 18-22 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America

Last edited by Lamima; 01-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #95
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

Sadly that's not the first time I heard of people having to retire a dog due to bad situations like that. Makes me so mad and sad all at the same time
Old 01-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #96
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Sadly that's not the first time I heard of people having to retire a dog due to bad situations like that. Makes me so mad and sad all at the same time
Great article. It pinpoints how real service dogs are factored into the equation. Not only do I feel bad for Onyx in the fact that task work has been put in reverse..., but the poor person. The bond that a person creates with a dog who serves as a life line is immense. People who willingly and knowingly put others at risk due to their selfish behavior when they dress their pets in vests should be fined heavily.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #97
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetbeauty View Post
Great article. It pinpoints how real service dogs are factored into the equation. Not only do I feel bad for Onyx in the fact that task work has been put in reverse..., but the poor person. The bond that a person creates with a dog who serves as a life line is immense. People who willingly and knowingly put others at risk due to their selfish behavior when they dress their pets in vests should be fined heavily.
Not to mention the time and effort. One person I know had to retire their dog early due to issues. So just a few years after she got the dog, she had to go back to the school for 2 weeks to retrain with a new one. Now they were able to and happy to keep the retired dog, but still. It's such an effort and if the dog needs to be rehomed (not all can keep prior working dogs) just really makes it even worse.

I think having a few friends with service dogs has really opened my eye to a lot. Glad that my family has been able to work with local training as well.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #98
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Not to mention the time and effort. One person I know had to retire their dog early due to issues. So just a few years after she got the dog, she had to go back to the school for 2 weeks to retrain with a new one. Now they were able to and happy to keep the retired dog, but still. It's such an effort and if the dog needs to be rehomed (not all can keep prior working dogs) just really makes it even worse.

I think having a few friends with service dogs has really opened my eye to a lot. Glad that my family has been able to work with local training as well.
I know maybe I shouldn't, but I am to the point where I openly say things to people when they have a dog somewhere they shouldn't...or I openly say things to people who are purposely acting a certain manner around me/a dog I might be training. I once witnessed a woman bend down, repeatedly slapping her thighs, while making kissing noises at one of the dogs I was working with (we were working in the pillow/bedding aisle of a HomeGoods- which is actually somewhat tricky b/c of the smells associated with feather-stuffed pillows). I looked at her and said "What are you doing? Seriously-what are you doing?..."
I find most people are wonderful and I have had some amazing conversations with people who I never would have talked with had I not been holding a leash...dogs allow for connection and for people to open up. So, I agree...my eyes have been opened from having the chance to work in this type of situation.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote