home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
jflatto
Grand Villa

Default Emotional Support Animals in parks

I know we have discussed emotional support animals in the parks with a mix of comments both agreeing and disagreeing with their their presence. Here is another animal being used. "May my emotional support alligator please say hello to your emotional support duck?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2578333002/

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Unbelievable. But yet, nothing is these days...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

OK, yeah, the gator likes people in a 'companionship' way, just like the chimpanzee a few years back that bit off the face of its owner's friend (or wash it the owner) and killed her.

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Having worked with service dogs, I can see the immense need for them. The training involved with a service dog is extensive. In some states, they have redefined the laws b/c of the number of people who were passing off pets and poorly trained animals as something they needed. Service dogs gets years worth of training, while emotional support dogs typically don't have much of any in comparison.
In general, if a dog is pushed around in carriage (which I have seen in Epcot)- it is not a service animal...and shouldn't be allowed. I am amazed by people who would go so far as to "bend/break" this rule b/c it sets a bad situation for actual service animals. In MA it is now seen as a civil infraction to pass off your dog as a service animal when it isn't.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetbeauty View Post
Having worked with service dogs, I can see the immense need for them. The training involved with a service dog is extensive. In some states, they have redefined the laws b/c of the number of people who were passing off pets and poorly trained animals as something they needed. Service dogs gets years worth of training, while emotional support dogs typically don't have much of any in comparison.
In general, if a dog is pushed around in carriage (which I have seen in Epcot)- it is not a service animal...and shouldn't be allowed. I am amazed by people who would go so far as to "bend/break" this rule b/c it sets a bad situation for actual service animals. In MA it is now seen as a civil infraction to pass off your dog as a service animal when it isn't.
Are legitimate service animal ever used in pairs? Last trip I saw a man take his two Westies the Safari at AK. He put them on the seat and lifted them up so they could watch the animals .

The CMs could do nothing but watch.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
Are legitimate service animal ever used in pairs? Last trip I saw a man take his two Westies the Safari at AK. He put them on the seat and lifted them up so they could watch the animals .

The CMs could do nothing but watch.
hahaha. I'd say no. When training the dogs we have worked with, we have to tether them into the car seats so they can't even look out the windows. It serves as a distraction.
Did the Westies have on matching vests and bows in the hair too?
Irritating.
I am glad that some states are redefining the rules. The people who abuse these rules are REALLY doing a disservice to the people who REALLY need these dogs. I never say "shame on ____" but it is tempting in this case. It's a heightened level of selfishness in my mind.
btw- the dogs I saw being pushed around in a carriage had a pink carriage, pink rhinestone collar, pink blanket...it was very service animaly.

Sorry...this is a touchy subject with me. hahaha.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetbeauty View Post
I agree with this. I have had a few friends use service dogs and my family has worked with a local school that trains and pairs people with dogs. It irks me when people try to pass off a dog as something it is not.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

In November we noticed lots more service/support animals in the parks than on trips passed.
Not sure how many were service dogs vs. support dogs. Haven't seen any gators on a leash <yet>.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Emotional Support Animals and how to deal with them in a humane, sensitive manner

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Thinnly Veiled Excuse...
Turf and Surf and Turf
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular & NYE 17-18
The Fall of Disney 17
A Tale of Two Views 17
Back in the S.S.R. 17
Uni Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 16
Spring Surprise 16
NYE in the World 15-16

Coming up...
3/2019 AoA The Smithereens***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-PVB Western Carib***7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday ***9/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival ***12/2019 VGC*** 3/2020 RCCL Southern Carib

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

There's got to be a distinction between true emotional support dogs and pets. Where is the line between "he/she's my pet, but I love him dearly and I just feel so much more relaxed, calm when I pet it, hug, get kisses, etc." Isn't that a form of "emotional support"? One alternative is just to say that no emotional support dogs can be given any special dispensation-only true service dogs. And yes, I think it's reasonable to expect true service dogs to have some documentation.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote