home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #71
lephelps
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
This is true.....but I am not sure any amount of water pumping out from them will make it look good. Time will tell.

I'm not sure any sustainable amount of fountain water could mask these...at least not without everyone walking around the lagoon also enjoying a constant shower/misting they never asked for. I'm a (sarcastic) optimist so I'd like to think the designers will surprise us all but, that would also be a surprise if they do at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
What I'm wondering about is the boats that go across the lagoon (I just remember the one from the WS entrance to Morocco), what "lovely" sights will the people on those boats see?
Just wait. They haven't yet issued the announcement of their newest water ride attraction that skirts the edge of the fountains on your travels between ports. Haven't made that trip to Niagara Falls to ride Maid of the Mist and experience the wonder of riding up to the edge of majestic falls? We have the next best thing...ponchos of course available for sale before boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
U.G.L.Y. They ainít got no alibi....theyíre ugly, theyíre ugly, go...
Donít know how to finish.
Iím not a song writer obviously.
U-G-L-Y, they make us all ask Disney "Why?"...they're ugly, they're ugly...
U-G-L-Y, they even make poor dead Walt cry...they're ugly, they're ugly...

Quote:
Iíve tried to be positive, but it keeps getting worse.
And, if all of those monstrosities are fountains during the day, the water blowing around World Showcase is a big zero too. I donít want to be on a water ride all day while walking around World Showcase. No thank you. I donít like water rides and thereís duck poop in that water in World Showcase.....
Hadn't thought about the "misting with duck poop water" possibility...now I wish I could stop.

WDW
'89 - Kissimmee
'96, '98 - Dixie Landings
'02, '03, '05, '07, '12, '17 - OKW (renters)
'22 x2 - OKW, (owners)
DLR
'05, '14 - DLH
'18 - VGC (renters)

lephelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #72
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lephelps View Post

I'm not sure any sustainable amount of fountain water could mask these...at least not without everyone walking around the lagoon also enjoying a constant shower/misting they never asked for. I'm a (sarcastic) optimist so I'd like to think the designers will surprise us all but, that would also be a surprise if they do at this point.

Just wait. They haven't yet issued the announcement of their newest water ride attraction that skirts the edge of the fountains on your travels between ports. Haven't made that trip to Niagara Falls to ride Maid of the Mist and experience the wonder of riding up to the edge of majestic falls? We have the next best thing...ponchos of course available for sale before boarding.

U-G-L-Y, they make us all ask Disney "Why?"...they're ugly, they're ugly...
U-G-L-Y, they even make poor dead Walt cry...they're ugly, they're ugly...

Hadn't thought about the "misting with duck poop water" possibility...now I wish I could stop.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #73
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lephelps View Post

I've done the Maid of the Mist, many years ago, but no duck poop at that time. Although I enjoyed it then, not sure I would now, with the possibility of the added duck poop.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #74
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I've done the Maid of the Mist, many years ago, but no duck poop at that time. Although I enjoyed it then, not sure I would now, with the possibility of the added duck poop.
Maybe Jim Carrey can make a new movie with the Epcot barges in it. I bet he could come up with something hilarious.

I did the Maid of the Mist too. I was young and carefree and didnít care about the duck poop.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #75
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Ugh. Horrible. Is there no way to submerge these eyesores during the day?

Next they'll put a giant electronic message board on the castle to sell 10 second messages like a ball park scoreboard.
Please for the love of all things, do NOT give them any ideas.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #76
lephelps
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Quote:
I did the Maid of the Mist too. I was young and carefree and didnít care about the duck poop.
Probably best to not think about to the swirling whirlpools of foam near the foot of and downstream from the falls then too.

Living in western NY, Niagara Falls is a standard place to take anyone who visits. I haven't done most of the tourist stuff in years but am happy to play tour guide and amble about the parks on either side while family/friends do such things things. I've done Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds many, many years ago and just don't feel a strong desire to splash myself with river water and then wander around soggy for hours afterwards. Journey Behind the Falls is one I'll still join in on because I have a choice of whether or not I get wet.

If I could ride Splash Mountain without getting wet, I'd be on it over and over. But usually, it's a once, maybe twice per trip thing for me as I just don't like getting wet when full clothed and doing activities where one would normally be dry. If these barge fountains wind up misting the walkways around the lagoon, it just won't be good.

WDW
'89 - Kissimmee
'96, '98 - Dixie Landings
'02, '03, '05, '07, '12, '17 - OKW (renters)
'22 x2 - OKW, (owners)
DLR
'05, '14 - DLH
'18 - VGC (renters)

lephelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #77
OldHalfElf
Studio

Default Other photos of possible interest

There are other (and to me somewhat less alarming) photos at:

https://touringplans.com/blog/2021/0...ally-that-bad/ .

Google searching reveals that the top of Spaceship Earth is eighteen stories, and the top of the Harmonious ring is six stories.

I wonder if there is a magic spot where Spaceship Earth appears to fit inside the Harmonious ring perfectly?

Last edited by OldHalfElf; 04-09-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typo
OldHalfElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #78
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHalfElf View Post
There are other (and to me somewhat less alarming) photos at:

https://touringplans.com/blog/2021/0...ally-that-bad/ .

Google searching reveals that the top of Spaceship Earth is eighteen stories, and the top of the Harmonious ring is six stories.

I wonder if there is a magic spot where Spaceship Earth appears to fit inside the Harmonious ring perfectly?

I do not see the less alarming part. They are ugly. At the very least Disney should consider painting them to blend better or at least have some type of murals on them. Big black floating hulks - yikes.