home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #1321
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom82097 View Post
I can confirm this for this quarter. Yes, so long as you are using the regular payment terminals at your grocery store they will have no way of knowing it is gift cards.
Perfect. Thank you. I'm good on the Disney gift cards. I still have a couple of grand left AFTER paying my dues. I was figuring on using this for other gift cards (of places that I would go to) to maximize the discount.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #1322
Jesper
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
Here's a question. Discover is doing the extra 5% off grocery stores. If I buy regular gift cards from a grocery store, will I still get the 5% off from Discover or does it know it's gift cards?
Most grocery stores does not communicate what items you purchase (Level 3 Line item data) to the card issuer, they just report it as "groceries" (Level 2 data). If in doubt just buy a small denomination GC and check your Discover account once payment has settled.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #1323
lcur77
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I've been considering signing up for Target's Red Card and looking for any savings for our upcoming trip. I went to Target's website to see how much I would save for $500 gift card and with 5% savings, I would save $25. So for a $3600 vacation, that would be a total savings of $180. Not outstanding savings but it pays for one Universal ticket But I read on here that there could be further savings but can't find the thread. Any other suggestions? Thank you!
In terms of directly from Target it is not really possible to get further savings anymore. You used to be able to buy gift cards with Target gift cards which you could buy at a larger discount online but they no longer allow you to do that. In terms of getting larger savings elsewhere you can combine savings you can get at wholesale clubs such as BJs or Sam's club with credit card rewards to get a greater return than the 5% you would get at target.
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #1324
jmmess
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcur77 View Post
In terms of directly from Target it is not really possible to get further savings anymore. You used to be able to buy gift cards with Target gift cards which you could buy at a larger discount online but they no longer allow you to do that. In terms of getting larger savings elsewhere you can combine savings you can get at wholesale clubs such as BJs or Sam's club with credit card rewards to get a greater return than the 5% you would get at target.
Agree, Samís you can get GCs for 4% off and then if you have a credit card that gets 2% or better (e.g. Discover has 5% back per above post), youíve increased your discount. Plus you can use ibotta to get 2-3% back via Samís.
jmmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #1325
bluebunny72
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmess View Post
Agree, Samís you can get GCs for 4% off and then if you have a credit card that gets 2% or better (e.g. Discover has 5% back per above post), youíve increased your discount. Plus you can use ibotta to get 2-3% back via Samís.
Discover is currently only 5% on groceries stores (not warehouse stores). Would not work to stack with Sam's club base 4% off.

Now if Discover comes back in a future quarter with Warehouses again would be good to go.
bluebunny72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #1326
jmmess
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny72 View Post
Discover is currently only 5% on groceries stores (not warehouse stores). Would not work to stack with Sam's club base 4% off.

Now if Discover comes back in a future quarter with Warehouses again would be good to go.
Ack! You are right, I forgot it was only groceries and the warehouses donít qualify. Thanks for correcting.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #1327
bluebunny72
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmess View Post
Ack! You are right, I forgot it was only groceries and the warehouses donít qualify. Thanks for correcting.
Figured it was a brain fart. You are the expert here.

bluebunny72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #1328
jmmess
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny72 View Post
Figured it was a brain fart. You are the expert here.

Lol, I love a good bargain!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #1329
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

FYI, it appears BJ's is running a special if you bought a bunch of gift cards in the past. The sweet spot is the 3x$50 at 7.2% off, but that $5K minimum is a tough ask for March. Basically an extra couple % for a bulk purchase.

Email I received (yes it is legit; removed the contact details); you may receive the same if you bought a bunch like me last year:

We are running a promotion on the Disney gift cards through the end of March. Since you have purchased Disney cards in larger quantities from BJs.com in the past, we wanted to reach out directly to see if you are interested in placing any orders for cards at this time.

The prices below are for $5,000 orders and above.

Please let us know how many cards you are interested in and we will place the orders on your behalf through BJs.com. We have inventory available so we can ship with our standard 3-5 day lead times for card activation. To qualify for these discounts you must contact either Brian Lockhart or I directly so that we can assist with placing the orders.

Contact Info:

Bryant xxx

bxxx@bjs.com

Brian xxxt

bxxx@bjs.com

Link to Website: https://www.bjs.com/category/gift-ca...3?query=disney

Discount Pricing will not be reflected on BJs.com, and is not is not valid for any prior purchases.

Item #

Description

Face Value

Offer Price

3 Pack - $50 Disney Gift Card

$ 150.00

$ 138.50

$100 Disney Gift Card

$ 100.00

$ 94.00

$50 Disney Gift Card

$ 50.00

$ 47.00

Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #1330
zafiro
Two Bedroom

I just received that email, too. It's legit, but I'm going to wait until Target comes out with their Easter specials. I think I remember them doing a BOGO 1/2 off on gift cards either last year or the year before as an Easter Basket goodies promo and Disney cards were included, but there is a limit so you have to play the outsmart the system game.

I have no doubt that for those of us who have purchased large quantities of gift cards from BJs in the recent months we will be offered at least 8% discounts again over the next 8 months at some point.

I think we - as a purchasing group - would have a collective mass with enough clout to negotiate to purchase our large quantities at a better bulk rate. Maybe they'd gave us a more significant discount as a unit.

We should put a collective list / amount together at some point to determine just how much we all might purchase as a whole and shop it around to the bigs like Amazon, Costco, Sams and BJs...just a thought. I bet we'd get some traction.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote