home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
Commish
One Bedroom

I made an attempt to translate some of this e-mail thanks again OP for sharing

Subject: [Name of Guide] Let me make the subject about ME

Dear DVC Members, (Form letter – did not take time to do a proper mail merge – impersonal)

I hope this e-mail finds you all well and off to a great start to the 2019 year! - (filler intro)

You might be wondering, why is my Disney Vacation Club guide contacting me from his personal e-mail. (Well since it it massively unprofessional, yes I am)

I am glad that you asked. While we are part way through 2019, the year has been difficult for my family and I. (I didn’t ask and I do not give a shit about your issues)

- As many of you know, on January 3rd, I lost my Dad. He lived an amazing 94 years and we were sooooo blessed to have him around that long!
- During the past 24 months I have spent considerable time traveling back and forth to visit with him … many of you followed my trips through Facebook … no one can ever take this time from me!
(Sympathy Card – No one cares about a dead father at 94 (which if true would make author older than 60 more likely late 60's)

- Since being back in SoCal the past 5 weeks, I have taken time away from the office to get reacquainted with my family and address some lingering health matters (none serious, I might add).

Once again – no one cares about your health issues – we all have enough issues of our own

- During this time, I have realized how much time I spent away from my immediate family while working for the Disney Vacation Club and supporting my member families … 70+ hours/week leaving the house at 6am and coming home after 8pm most days … missing many school events … and hearing about how the baseball game went while I was unable to attend … working almost every weekend all to support the 6,425 different member families that I love!

Once again, no one cares – we all work as well – and it appears that this is a gross exaggeration - See – above – if your father is 94 – you should not be a little league parent.
6,425 is the number of contacts you downloaded to an Outlook PST file and downloaded to your flash drive prior to leaving last job - why would anyone use such a granular number? (6000+)

- Against this background, I have decided to leave the Disney Vacation Club effective immediately.

Nothing in this backdrop suggests one would immediately terminate their job – a professional would give proper notice – more likely than not – Employer Termination for cause

What does that mean to all of you receiving this e-mail?

- First, you will be re-assigned to a different DVC Sales Guide who will be your primary contact. So you know, you can request a specific guide who I would be happy to provide to you if you reach back to me. (If you still feed me contacts I can put you in touch with friends who may kick back a referral fee)

- Second, we can still be friends … you can always reach me through Facebook, e-mail, or phone (###-###-####).
Who said we were friends? – e-mail is addressed to “DVC Members”

- Third, unfortunately you won’t hear from me when you arrive at a resort with a “Welcome Home” VM, receive a banking reminder call or birthday call or be able to see me at the Disneyland DVC Preview Center. Hopefully, your new DVC Guide will carry on my traditions!
So we are supposed to miss you? – and you created your own Disney Tradition hmmmmm.

- Finally, [spouse] and I are keeping our DVC membership so there is a good chance you might vacation with us at one of the resorts, see us at the parks, cruise with us, or take an amazing Adventure’s by Disney trip with us.
There is a slim to zero chance of this with the millions of annual visitors

We have been blessed these past 8 years to meet so many of you in-person and look forward to being in-touch with you as we move forward.

Wait – you worked for Disney for 8 years (Father was 86 at the time) – Doesn’t equate to a lifetime of hardship working 70+ hours a week missing baseball games

Thank you sooooooooo much for your friendship and support … and in closing, I would like to say one last time to all of you …

WELCOME HOME my DVC member families!

- the "sooooooo much" is hack language - Takes ownership – “My” families

only thing missing is the Nigerian Prince and wire instructions
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
BayLakePierre
One Bedroom

Anybody that was actually "friendly" with him would have his facebook contact info already. So need need to personally e-mail everyone.
I would be infuriated that this guy stole my personal information, and I'm sure that Disney scrictly prohibits this.
Good call on reporting him. Did you express your concern about how much of your personal information he has?
Social security #, personal address, date of birth?
That's all he needs for identity theft.

BayLakePierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
It's hard to say what was going on here. Perhaps the guide was fishing for future business... and that would be pretty slimy.... or perhaps the guide has had a rough last year in their life and they are having trouble coming to terms with ending the job. Certainly ok to make a complaint if you feel like this crossed a line, but if this were to happen to me I'd just ignore it and move on.
I think that what most people are upset about is the fact that the guide took their personal information without their knowledge or consent. And it’s uncertain how much of their personal information is involved.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #24
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I’m sorry, but that email is just inappropriate. He should never have contacted you from his personal email unless you had, for some reason, authorized him to do so. I would report that to Disney.
I would not be happy that my personal email was in his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
OK - I sent the email to DVC member satisfaction.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dirk
Glad you sent this to Member Satisfaction. Let us know what the response is.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I think that what most people are upset about is the fact that the guide took their personal information without their knowledge or consent. And it’s uncertain how much of their personal information is involved.
I wouldn't begrudge anyone to complain if they felt violated or slighted in some way.

To me I get notices 5 times a year that my information was stolen from some or other company and those are just the times that it's been figured out. I assume that my information is bought and sold repeatedly, so if I were to get a weird email from a [potentially] sad old man who might have self-importance issues then I'd just let it pass like all the other garbage email I get. If somebody were trying to use this information to make money on the outside, this is almost a guarantee of getting caught... so for me it's a gray enough situation to stay out of. Again, just my opinion, but knowing I'm one of hundreds that got this email I'm at best just another person in the peanut gallery complaining that I don't want guides to talk to me unless I talk to them first.

And to be clear, I think the [former] guide's email is weird and should NEVER have been sent under any circumstances.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #26
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
My guess is he / she is going to work in the resale market and is hoping to continue "doing business" with you.....but it would irk me that he took your email address with him...and it begs the question of what other private information was available to him / her...

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #27
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I'd say starting their own business and creating contacts outside of official DVC channels.

Really nothing for DVC to do now unless they have a contract with them that prohibits having the information. However from the other past guides that have started their own DVC resale brokerage I'd say that DVC did not have that built into any contracts - or at least not with people who started with them years ago. I'd guess they do now.

I'd probably have just let it go - you do know them and had some interactions with them over the years. If it continued I'd just ask them to remove me from their email. It reminds me of getting an email from a certain former moderator here several years ago although I had never had any sort of actual conversation with him. That one totally creeped me out so I understand but if thinking about one of my previous guides doing this I just wouldn't feel so bothered - I already know they're timeshare salespeople!

In business I've had similar type things happen and more than once from people who have left some place we had connections with. If they keep any people in contact they're ahead of the game vs not trying to do it.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
I made an attempt to translate some of this e-mail thanks again OP for sharing

Subject: [Name of Guide] Let me make the subject about ME

Dear DVC Members, (Form letter – did not take time to do a proper mail merge – impersonal)

I hope this e-mail finds you all well and off to a great start to the 2019 year! - (filler intro)

You might be wondering, why is my Disney Vacation Club guide contacting me from his personal e-mail. (Well since it it massively unprofessional, yes I am)

I am glad that you asked. While we are part way through 2019, the year has been difficult for my family and I. (I didn’t ask and I do not give a shit about your issues)

- As many of you know, on January 3rd, I lost my Dad. He lived an amazing 94 years and we were sooooo blessed to have him around that long!
- During the past 24 months I have spent considerable time traveling back and forth to visit with him … many of you followed my trips through Facebook … no one can ever take this time from me!
(Sympathy Card – No one cares about a dead father at 94 (which if true would make author older than 60 more likely late 60's)

- Since being back in SoCal the past 5 weeks, I have taken time away from the office to get reacquainted with my family and address some lingering health matters (none serious, I might add).

Once again – no one cares about your health issues – we all have enough issues of our own

- During this time, I have realized how much time I spent away from my immediate family while working for the Disney Vacation Club and supporting my member families … 70+ hours/week leaving the house at 6am and coming home after 8pm most days … missing many school events … and hearing about how the baseball game went while I was unable to attend … working almost every weekend all to support the 6,425 different member families that I love!

Once again, no one cares – we all work as well – and it appears that this is a gross exaggeration - See – above – if your father is 94 – you should not be a little league parent.
6,425 is the number of contacts you downloaded to an Outlook PST file and downloaded to your flash drive prior to leaving last job - why would anyone use such a granular number? (6000+)

- Against this background, I have decided to leave the Disney Vacation Club effective immediately.

Nothing in this backdrop suggests one would immediately terminate their job – a professional would give proper notice – more likely than not – Employer Termination for cause

What does that mean to all of you receiving this e-mail?

- First, you will be re-assigned to a different DVC Sales Guide who will be your primary contact. So you know, you can request a specific guide who I would be happy to provide to you if you reach back to me. (If you still feed me contacts I can put you in touch with friends who may kick back a referral fee)

- Second, we can still be friends … you can always reach me through Facebook, e-mail, or phone (###-###-####).
Who said we were friends? – e-mail is addressed to “DVC Members”

- Third, unfortunately you won’t hear from me when you arrive at a resort with a “Welcome Home” VM, receive a banking reminder call or birthday call or be able to see me at the Disneyland DVC Preview Center. Hopefully, your new DVC Guide will carry on my traditions!
So we are supposed to miss you? – and you created your own Disney Tradition hmmmmm.

- Finally, [spouse] and I are keeping our DVC membership so there is a good chance you might vacation with us at one of the resorts, see us at the parks, cruise with us, or take an amazing Adventure’s by Disney trip with us.
There is a slim to zero chance of this with the millions of annual visitors

We have been blessed these past 8 years to meet so many of you in-person and look forward to being in-touch with you as we move forward.

Wait – you worked for Disney for 8 years (Father was 86 at the time) – Doesn’t equate to a lifetime of hardship working 70+ hours a week missing baseball games

Thank you sooooooooo much for your friendship and support … and in closing, I would like to say one last time to all of you …

WELCOME HOME my DVC member families!

- the "sooooooo much" is hack language - Takes ownership – “My” families

only thing missing is the Nigerian Prince and wire instructions
Yep, pretty much! Good read.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #29
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm debating sending the email to DVC with a question of why I'm getting this notice from my former guide's private email and why he gets to take my email info with him when he leaves.

Dirk
Well if he sent this bizarre email to any of his European members Disney is in trouble

You do need to contact Disney. Who knows what else he took with him? (
Address,credit card etc.. ).

Glad this isn’t my guide
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I wouldn't begrudge anyone to complain if they felt violated or slighted in some way.

To me I get notices 5 times a year that my information was stolen from some or other company and those are just the times that it's been figured out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I'd say starting their own business and creating contacts outside of official DVC channels.

Really nothing for DVC to do now unless they have a contract with them that prohibits having the information. However from the other past guides that have started their own DVC resale brokerage I'd say that DVC did not have that built into any contracts - or at least not with people who started with them years ago. I'd guess they do now.

I'd probably have just let it go - you do know them and had some interactions with them over the years. I
I'm not particularly worried about my personal information. In actuality, if anything happens, I might just point the police right to this email. Even if he likely had nothing to do with anything ID theft, he would be questioned (and Disney might be, too). That would certainly draw a line under the inappropriateness of the email.

More to the point, I don't like the over familiarity. I did not know this guy. I never initiated a conversation with him. I maybe spoke 3 sentences to him in eight years when I answered his calls.

In reporting it, my goal is for a) Disney to know this happened and that it is not cool so they can be more vigilant in the future or take any corrective measures that allowed it to happen, b) for Disney to compare his story to what they know about him in case this is the beginning of an attempted scheme, and c) for Disney to be able to enforce any conduct clauses they may have regarding his departure. Maybe this kills a severance package, who knows.

In my report, I emphasized that I have always received the utmost professional conduct from all Disney CMs and have had great professional experiences with two guides, so I definitely see this as an aberration.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote