home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
johnb
Studio

It can suck in NJ in August, but at WDW the humidity hits you as soon as you walk out the door (assuming you're a morning person) heading out to the parks. It's like walking into a wall of dog breath.

It's been a few years, but late August in WDW was probably the lowest crowds we've encountered.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
It can suck in NJ in August, but at WDW the humidity hits you as soon as you walk out the door (assuming you're a morning person) heading out to the parks. It's like walking into a wall of dog breath.

It's been a few years, but late August in WDW was probably the lowest crowds we've encountered.
When my kids were young school started in late Aug . We went to wdw first or second week . Crowds were manageable . Compared to now days the parks were almost empty . It was before fast pass so we did the old fashioned way of rope drop and afternoon nap or swim then back for evening parade and fireworks . We carried our own drink bottles and filled them up frequently at the water fountains. We had fairly easy trips as far as I remember . We went in Aug 7 times . The heat was about the same as the heat in Ga where we lived. All three of my kids are pale blonds . The main problem we had was sunburned scalps . Keeping a mickey hat in their heads was a challenge . I slathered sunscreened on every one every chance I got which they hated.

But Aug at WDW is manageable . Just expect it to be hot and take a break in the middle of the day. Drink lots of water . Plan for the heat and you will be fine. After all you have a built in conversation starter in lines . “ Hot enough for you? “

Last edited by Shewill; 02-10-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
reblzmom
Grand Villa

On one August trip the guys played golf early in the morning. My older son takes an old cheapo wallet to WDW instead of his nice wallet. Well, when they got back they were soaked through - as though they had been caught in the rain. And the dye from that wallet bled straight through my son's shorts. They were a mess! Yeah it was humid!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
Stuart Song
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
End of August will be slightly lower in crowds, but more hot & humid.
Aways afternoon showers because of the humidity.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #15
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Song View Post
Aways afternoon showers because of the humidity.
A poor excuse!
Most of the Eastern US typically has high humidity in the summer without raining every day. (though we sometimes wish it would!)

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Thanks everyone. We've been in July, August, as well as early and mid September - so we are pretty familiar with the weather dynamics and how to manage them. It was the crowds with which I was more focused, and your input is appreciated. I think I figured out a plan to make it all work!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
pdude81
Grand Villa

We like to go at the end of August. The crowds really start to dip around the 20th although I'm not sure the lines get much shorter. If it were me I'd just focus on whichever dates work better for your family, or if there is an event that you can take advantage of that you know of ahead of time. The only caveat I'd put out there is that you're looking at the first summJer after SWL opens, so June might be really packed. Just weight that consideration versus how much better the June trip would fit with your overall plans.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote